newbie BO buff

Indonesia Box Office 2023 - thanks for updating

5 minutes ago, newbie BO buff said:

Titanic's final reported gross back in 1998 (Indo release date was 6 January 1998): $2,989,269

I have no idea what was the average ticket price back then, so cannot estimate the attendance. Care to throw a number?

Just for fun, Ayat-ayat Cinta nabbed 3,581,947 ticket buyers back in 2008. A short-lived record, since it was obliterated by Laskar Pelangi just a few months later.

Before Ayat-ayat Cinta, the local movie record holder was Ada Apa Dengan Cinta with 2.7 million admissions. So that's the number that Titanic has to beat.

It doesn't help that 1998 was the Financial Crisis year, so the exchange rate was batshit crazy.

I'll let you do the estimate :P

titanic was also the higest grossing film of all time here in malaysia, until 2007, beaten by transformer 1

malaysia, too, hit by 97-98 financial crisis, making its ex.rate was terribly suck at the time....

Update on Indonesia's foreign top grossers this year:

1. The Fate of the Furious (aka The Fast and Furious 8 in Indonesia) - $18,955,084 - roughly 7,230,011 admissions, definitely an Indonesian all-time record
  2. Beauty and the Beast - $9,122,353 - roughly 3,479,526 admissions
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 - $6,266,950 - roughly 2,390,394 admissions
  4. Logan (aka Logan: The Wolverine in Indonesian posters) - $6,195,583 - roughly 2,363,172 admissions
  5. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - $6,090,864 - roughly 2,323,230 admissions

And for local movies:

1. Danur: I Can See Ghosts    2,731,890 admissions
  2. Surga Yang Tak Dirindukan 2    1,636,981 admissions
  3. London Love Story 2    862,874 admissions
  4. Dear Nathan    700,165 admissions
  5. Promise    655,805 admissions

Top Indonesian movies usually also screens in our neighboring countries: Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei.

This weekend we'll see how well King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and Alien: Covenant plays (Alien obviously has more latent interest), as they battle with local biggie Critical Eleven that seems set to score upwards of 1 million admissions.

Thursday 11 May was a holiday in Indonesia (Vesak Day), so it's a bit of a long weekend.

• Like 7

Well, well. Quite surprisingly, the #1 movie in Indonesia last weekend was King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.

It grossed $1.5m, roughly 572k admissions.

As per Deadline:

Indonesia: $1.5M on 399 screens for No. 1; on par with Legend Of Tarzan; bigger than Kingsman (+29%), Fury Road (+27%), twice both Sherlocks.

Tarzan finished very strongly with $5.7m, roughly 2.198m admissions.

As it has no major new competition this weekend (Pirates 5 opens on 24 May), King Arthur looks set to crack 1m admissions.

Local movie numbers will come out much later today (the irony!), while other import movie numbers much later in the week.

• Like 1

Finally, a thread for Indonesian box office! I've been collecting and compiling box office data in Indonesia since 2007, when Spider-Man 3 was the highest grossing Hollywood movie ever with only $5.2m. Nowadays that number won't even crack yearly top 5, or even top 10 in a strong year. It's really hard to find box office data in Indonesia. I used BOM, the-numbers, even imdb for my sources. But for some years and some movies, I couldn't find it at all. So thank you for creating this thread and providing the numbers.

Btw can FF8 be the first movie that crack $20m? Or will it stop at $19m? It's crazy how much we love this franchise. Nothing will come close this year. Justice League and Spider-Man will probably make more than $10m but I'm not sure they can pass $15m.

Also I'm actually not surprised that King Arthur is #1. It's more appealing to the general audience here than a sci-fi/thriller/gore movie like Alien. And the marketing was stronger for King Arthur. I didn't even know Alien was gonna be released last week.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, catlover said:

Finally, a thread for Indonesian box office! I've been collecting and compiling box office data in Indonesia since 2007, when Spider-Man 3 was the highest grossing Hollywood movie ever with only $5.2m. Nowadays that number won't even crack yearly top 5, or even top 10 in a strong year. It's really hard to find box office data in Indonesia. I used BOM, the-numbers, even imdb for my sources. But for some years and some movies, I couldn't find it at all. So thank you for creating this thread and providing the numbers.

Btw can FF8 be the first movie that crack $20m? Or will it stop at $19m? It's crazy how much we love this franchise. Nothing will come close this year. Justice League and Spider-Man will probably make more than $10m but I'm not sure they can pass $15m.

Also I'm actually not surprised that King Arthur is #1. It's more appealing to the general audience here than a sci-fi/thriller/gore movie like Alien. And the marketing was stronger for King Arthur. I didn't even know Alien was gonna be released last week.

Same sources, and most probably same blank spots. Aside from those, gotta keep an eye out for any mention in individual articles. Like how I got the Civil War number a few days ago.

As for F8, I don't think it will crack 20m, we simply have too few screens. But 19m is surely game.

I agree that JL and SHC will both pass 10m, seeing that BVS did 14m and TASM2 10.1m.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 has now grossed $7.2 million in Indonesia, roughly 2.75 million admissions.

That is 150% of the original installment.

My previous estimate:

"It if plays out like Doctor Strange (2.53x) it will end up with $8.63 million, while if it's more like Ant-Man (3.08x, the humor!) then it will reach a quite lofty $10.47m. I'm guessing somewhere in between."

GOTG2 now have a little over a week to hit that "somewhere in between", since on 24 May most screens will be given to Pirates 5.

Still waiting for the numbers for Alien: Covenant, which must be lower than 1.3m.

As for local movies, the supposed-biggie Critical Eleven did not get too many admissions. Indonesians are probably tired of the lead actor. Looks like it will top out at around 600k admissions, 700k tops, nowhere the magical 1-million-admissions milestone.

It doesn't have major local competition in the following 2 weeks, but Indonesia is entering the beginning of Ramadhan fasting month, a dry spell for local movies (pun intended).

Admission numbers:

Edited by newbie BO buff
  • Like 1

Last weekend, as note previously King Arthur was champion, nabbing $1.5m, followed by Alien:Covenant with $1.1m.

As a result of these movies coming into play, GOTG2 dropped sharply 64%, getting only $372k. It looks like it will not even top Doctor Strange's number now.

F8, amazingly, in its 5th week of release, still managed to grab $220k.

Updated Indonesian BO numbers for Hollywood 2017 wide releases:

1. The Fate of the Furious (aka The Fast and Furious 8 in Indonesia) - $19,258,259 - roughly 7,345,650 admissions, an Indonesian all-time record
  2. Beauty and the Beast - $9,122,353 - roughly 3,479,526 admissions
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 - $7,246,524 - roughly 2,764,031 admissions
  4. Logan (aka Logan: The Wolverine in Indonesian posters) - $6,195,583 - roughly 2,363,172 admissions
  5. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - $6,090,864 - roughly 2,323,230 admissions
  6. xXx: The Return of Xander Cage - $5,083,204 - roughly 1,938,879 admissions
  7. Kong: Skull Island - $4,700,000 - roughly 1,792,714 admissions
  8. The Great Wall - $3,708,162 - roughly 1,414,399 admissions
  9. The Boss Baby - $3,066,463 - roughly 1,169,637 admissions
  10. Underworld: Blood Wars - $2,701,146 - roughly 1,030,294 admissions
  11. Rings - $2,157,816 - roughly 823,053 admissions
  12. Split - $2,138,865 - roughly 815,862 admissions
  13. Ghost in the Shell - $1,888,835 - roughly 720,456 admissions
  14. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $1,500,000 - roughly 572,143 admissions
  15. The LEGO Batman Movie - $1,400,000 - roughly 534,000 admissions
  16. John Wick: Chapter Two - $1,388,618 - roughly 529,659 admissions
  17. Smurfs: The Lost Village - $1,311,828 - roughly 500,369 admissions
  18. Power Rangers - $1,251,179 - roughly 477,235 admissions
  19. Alien: Covenant - $1,160,323 - roughly 442,580 admissions
  20. Life - $991,758 - roughly 378,825 admissions
  21. Monster Trucks - $775,577 - roughly 295,827 admissions
  22. Get Out - $469,695 - roughly 179,155 admissions
  23. The Bye Bye Man - $104,000 - roughly 39,669 admissions

Numbers not known for:

1. Sleepless
  2. A Dog's Purpose
  3. Gold
  4. The Space Between Us
  5. Before I Fall
  6. Free Fire

Latest Indonesian movies admissions from last weekend (notably, Critical Eleven underperformed and will seemingly miss 1 million admissions).

1. Critical Eleven - 301.626
  2. Selebgram - 51.716
  3. Membabi-buta - 18.271
  4. Satria Heroes: Revenge of Darkness - 98.059
  5. The Curse - 116.710

Top 15 Indonesia movies of 2017:

1. Danur: I Can See Ghosts - 2.734.985
  2. Surga Yang Tak Dirindukan 2 - 1.636.981
  3. London Love Story 2 - 862.874
  4. Dear Nathan - 700.165
  5. Promise - 655.805
  6. The Guys - 564.533
  7. Security Ugal-ugalan - 563.871
  8. Stip & Pensil - 540.854
  9. Kartini - 538.663
  10. Critical Eleven - 301.626
  11. From London to Bali - 301.032
  12. Iqro: Petualangan Meraih Bintang - 295.331
  13. Silariang: Menggapai Keabadian Cinta - 183.240
  14. Galih dan Ratna - 121.531
  15. Trinity, the Nekad Traveler - 117.196

• Like 7

Gotta admit that out of the 7,3 million admission for F8, I didn't contribute to that total at all. Between big budget blockbusters and supernatural horror films, there is not much variety when it comes to top grossing movies in here.

I'm surprised that Danur have enough admission to make the top 5 so far. I don't realize that it's that huge.

3 hours ago, Captain H said:

Gotta admit that out of the 7,3 million admission for F8, I didn't contribute to that total at all. Between big budget blockbusters and supernatural horror films, there is not much variety when it comes to top grossing movies in here.

I'm surprised that Danur have enough admission to make the top 5 so far. I don't realize that it's that huge.

Neither did I.

And also surprised about Danur. Turned out it was based on a bestselling book, and the lead actress has a huge social media following.

So then I looked up Critical Eleven, and thought it's going to do 1m admissions easily. Not the case :) Oh well, that's why this is so fun anyway.

11 minutes ago, newbie BO buff said:

Neither did I.

And also surprised about Danur. Turned out it was based on a bestselling book, and the lead actress has a huge social media following.

So then I looked up Critical Eleven, and thought it's going to do 1m admissions easily. Not the case :) Oh well, that's why this is so fun anyway.

It will be nice if we have something like BOM where every data from the past is neatly stored for future predictions. It would be interesting to see how different films behave in daily grosses.

28 minutes ago, Captain H said:

It will be nice if we have something like BOM where every data from the past is neatly stored for future predictions. It would be interesting to see how different films behave in daily grosses.

Earlier this year, we had hope.

http://entertainment.kompas.com/read/2017/02/08/203602010/bekraf.targetkan.indonesia.miliki.integrated.box.office.system.

Now .......

http://nusantara.rmol.co/read/2017/05/16/291647/BPI:-IBOS-Lebih-Banyak-Mudharatnya-

http://nusantara.rmol.co/read/2017/05/17/291805/Penerapan-IBOS-Tidak-Mendesak-Di-Indonesia-

Hahahahahahahaha

A bit of thought about how Alien: Covenant will do in Indonesia while looking back at the franchise's history in Indonesia.

The first two entries, Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986) definitely screened in Indonesia. But those were different times, Indonesia was not yet part the global box office recording system. Most likely they didn't screen day-and-date (or earlier) with the US as is the usual case nowadays. As such, there were no record of Indonesian grosses for those two.

Grosses were recorded for the next two movies:

• Alien 3 (US Date 22 May 1992, Indonesian date 11 August 1992) grossed $494,100
  • Alien Resurrection (US Date 26 November 1997, Indonesian date 11 March 1998) grossed $245,942

More complete data were recorded when Prometheus (US Date 8 June 2012, same with Indonesia) screened.

Its first 5-day gross (Fri-Tue) was $646,946 and it eventually peaked at $1,234,732 after 40 days of release. Offhand, that's a 1.91x multiplier. But back then, Prometheus had it easy. There were basically zero competition until July when TASM2 hit the screens (and hit them really, really hard).

Now Alien: Covenant, which opened much earlier than the US in 10 May 2017, gobbled $1,160,323 in its first 5 days of release (Wed-Sun) - already 94% of Prometheus' final gross.

It's pretty obvious that Covenant will gross more than Prometheus, but by how much? Looks like applying that 1.91x multiplier will not work, for two reasons.

First, it's not as well received as Prometheus.

In its opening weekend, Prometheus scored a per screen average of $4,113 while Covenant only managed $3,527.

Second, the competition.

Covenant had to open side by side with King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (which opened higher). The duel continues this week. Then, next week Pirates 5 opens (presale starts today). And then the week after that, the super highly anticipated Wonder Woman.

Not much of a chance for Covenant.

additional data for the crossover movies:

• Alien vs Predator (US date 13 August 2004, Indonesia 8 September 2004) $396,756
  • Aliens vs Predator - Requiem (US date 25 December 2007, Indonesia 3 January 2008) $748,182
Edited by newbie BO buff
  • Like 1

Early releases confirmed for Indonesia:

• Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge on 24 May 2017
  • Wonder Woman on 31 May 2017

Both will benefit from the following day (25 May and 1 June) being holidays in Indonesia.

Looking for great numbers from both films!

• Like 2

Alien: Covenant was the worldwide box office leader last weekend, but Fox did not mention Indonesia's number. Judging from attendance reports though, didn't look good.

What we do have:

• King Arthur: Legend of the Sword performed quite strongly, now up to $2.5m
  • Guardiians of the Galaxy Vol.2 is now at $7.5m, 156% of the first one but definitely won't even reach Doctor Strange's gross from last year
  • The Fast and the Furious 8 still have a whiff of gas left in the tank, is now at $19.3m

I will update the list when Covenant's number is available.

• Like 2

After actuals reported, King Arthur up slightly to $2.6m, GOTG2 also up slightly to $7.6m (still difficult to beat Dr. Strange's $7.9m).

I got my tickets for Pirates 5 on Wednesday.

Presales beginning to pick up, for example here is the booking screen for an IMAX screening.

(note: IMAX ticket price IDR60k = $4.5)

TD5baxX.png

12 minutes ago, newbie BO buff said:

After actuals reported, King Arthur up slightly to $2.6m, GOTG2 also up slightly to $7.6m (still difficult to beat Dr. Strange's $7.9m).

I got my tickets for Pirates 5 on Wednesday.

Presales beginning to pick up, for example here is the booking screen for an IMAX screening.

(note: IMAX ticket price IDR60k = $4.5)

TD5baxX.png

what is the green and red? 

On 19/5/2017 at 6:04 PM, Captain H said:

To be fair, big budget blockbusters are supposed to be, well, blockbusters. They're big not only here, but everywhere. Just look at North American box office. Also full with CBM and other big budget blockbusters, not much variety either. In fact, 6 of the movies in current top 10 of 2017, are also in the top 10 of 2017 Indonesian box office (excluding local movies). Now supernatural horror movies on the other hand, is a specific character of Indonesian market. Just like how Japan loves animation and musical more than other countries.

Speaking of horror, I've seen Danur and I don't understand how it became so big. It's not that bad, but nothing special about it and definitely not scary.

On 16/5/2017 at 9:37 AM, newbie BO buff said:

As for local movies, the supposed-biggie Critical Eleven did not get too many admissions. Indonesians are probably tired of the lead actor. Looks like it will top out at around 600k admissions, 700k tops, nowhere the magical 1-million-admissions milestone.

It doesn't have major local competition in the following 2 weeks, but Indonesia is entering the beginning of Ramadhan fasting month, a dry spell for local movies (pun intended).

Admission numbers:

Btw Critical Eleven is already at 616.000 admissions. Gonna make more than your prediction I think, around 800-900k. Or if it survives Ramadhan month and the battle for screens, maybe it can actually touch 1 million, who knows. Sometimes they play local movies for weeks.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1