newbie BO buff

Indonesia Box Office 2023 - thanks for updating

5 minutes ago, danhtruong5 said:

Is there any buzz for Frozen 2 here?

It’s hard to feel the buzz of an animation here. But a little fact , there’s still no animation which crossed $10M mark to date. So , I guess there’s a ceiling for animation and to keep your expectation on check , let Frozen 2 break the barrier first.

Yeah, even for other movies, we don't really feel the buzz until the week they're released, or even until the opening day. Let alone an animated movie. Unless it's a big franchise movie like MCU.

Also, animated movies are not that popular in Indonesia. There's still a stigma that they are made for kids only, especially Disney princess movies. I think the biggest one is Minions with $8.7m, then Incredibles 2 with $8m and TS4 with $6.3m. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But I do know that a lot of people are excited about Frozen 2. Its popularity has risen exponentially since the first movie. So I don't know, maybe it's gonna be the first one to cross $10m, or maybe adults here are not ready to embrace a Disney princess movie yet.

1 hour ago, catlover said:

Yeah, even for other movies, we don't really feel the buzz until the week they're released, or even until the opening day. Let alone an animated movie. Unless it's a big franchise movie like MCU.

Also, animated movies are not that popular in Indonesia. There's still a stigma that they are made for kids only, especially Disney princess movies. I think the biggest one is Minions with $8.7m, then Incredibles 2 with $8m and TS4 with $6.3m. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But I do know that a lot of people are excited about Frozen 2. Its popularity has risen exponentially since the first movie. So I don't know, maybe it's gonna be the first one to cross $10m, or maybe adults here are not ready to embrace a Disney princess movie yet.

biggest animaterd movie in indonesia is The Lion King

23 minutes ago, Steven said:

biggest animaterd movie in indonesia is The Lion King

That's technically true lol. And even TLK couldn't cross $10m. I have to say though, in people's perception here, TLK is not an animation. And in this case, perception matters. Since most people consider TLK as "live action", it doesn't have that stigma, while Frozen 2 does. So it's not exactly in the same category.

11 minutes ago, catlover said:

That's technically true lol. And even TLK couldn't cross $10m. I have to say though, in people's perception here, TLK is not an animation. And in this case, perception matters. Since most people consider TLK as "live action", it doesn't have that stigma, while Frozen 2 does. So it's not exactly in the same category.

box office mojo didn't update lion king southeast asia country box office for long time,so I'm not sure if lion king cross 10m in indonesia

4 hours ago, Steven said:

box office mojo didn't update lion king southeast asia country box office for long time,so I'm not sure if lion king cross 10m in indonesia

There are no more updates because it's clearly done. BOM even provides TLK's weekend numbers in Indonesia. The last update was $9.07m with $600 weekend. So I know for sure it didn't cross $10m. Anything else you want to correct?

Edited by catlover

8 hours ago, catlover said:

There are no more updates because it's clearly done. BOM even provides TLK's weekend numbers in Indonesia. The last update was $9.07m with $600 weekend. So I know for sure it didn't cross $10m. Anything else you want to correct?

I have the full 8-week run data for TLK.

No, it didn't crack $10M.

The Lion King
Week Start End Cume Wk Gross Daily Gross +/- %
1 17-Jul 21-Jul               4.852.527               4.852.527                  970.505  
2 22-Jul 28-Jul               7.797.838                 2.945.311                   420.759 -56,65%
3 29-Jul 4-Aug               8.673.929                   876.091                     125.156 -70,25%
4 5-Aug 11-Aug              8.943.063                    269.134                     38.448 -69,28%
5 12-Aug 18-Aug             9.048.006                   104.943                       14.992 -61,01%
6 19-Aug 25-Aug               9.064.451                      16.445                         2.349 -84,33%
7 26-Aug 1-Sep               9.066.543                        2.092                             299 -87,28%
8 2-Sep 8-Sep                9.067.215                             672                                96 -67,88%
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Charlie’s Angels almost 5x FvF. Now that is a rare sight with both in OW.

Yeah, an unfortunate rare sight. Wish FvF made much more than that. The score is very high though. Few movies got a 9 on that apps. Which means people who saw it, loved it. Just not many people to begin with.

• Like 1

I do have to add that CHARLIE'S ANGELS had the customary 5-day opening week (from Wed), while FORD V FERRARI only had FSS. With fewer screens, natch.

That being said, the occupancy rate for FVF *is* much lower than CA.

Just came back from a sold out screening of FROZEN II. It already broke the record for #1 OD for animated movies in Indonesia. Surely OW record is coming as well.

The movie itself I consider rather bland and forgettable, with a rambling and nonsensical plot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, newbie BO buff said:

I do have to add that CHARLIE'S ANGELS had the customary 5-day opening week (from Wed), while FORD V FERRARI only had FSS. With fewer screens, natch.

That being said, the occupancy rate for FVF *is* much lower than CA.

Just came back from a sold out screening of FROZEN II. It already broke the record for #1 OD for animated movies in Indonesia. Surely OW record is coming as well.

The movie itself I consider rather bland and forgettable, with a rambling and nonsensical plot.

do you have a number of Frozen indonesia opening day?

Edited by Steven