newbie BO buff

Indonesia Box Office 2023 - thanks for updating

35 minutes ago, blackiyto said:

indonesia is a potential big market, could be the next SK in asia in term of box office, but the systematic box office tracking is not in pace with its growth

Super excited for Indonesia in the 2020s. Probably more than any other market.

4 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Super excited for Indonesia in the 2020s. Probably more than any other market.

Saudi Arabia. The market current highest grosser is just $9.5mn, but by 2025, they will be touching $60-80mn. Endgame did just $3mn.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Astonished 1

35 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

So far, only these Asian countries have produce 100m grosser.  

Japan, China, South Korea, and India., Who will be the fifth one?

Considering Saudi Arabia will be potentially $60-70mn by 2025 but growth will be limited like UAE. UAE grew 17% in last 4 years, I don't see Saudi hitting $100mn till 2040. The next biggest is I guess Indonesia, but too far from $100mn, however, with better growth, it also should reach there by 2040s.

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Considering Saudi Arabia will be potentially $60-70mn by 2025 but growth will be limited like UAE. UAE grew 17% in last 4 years, I don't see Saudi hitting $100mn till 2040. The next biggest is I guess Indonesia, but too far from $100mn, however, with better growth, it also should reach there by 2040s.

Given the high population, I think Indonesia will hit 100m gross earlier than Saudi.

18 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Given the high population, I think Indonesia will hit 100m gross earlier than Saudi.

huge population but ticket prices are very low. Though, yeah Indonesia can totally cross $100mn before Saudi, I put both of them in 2040s.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

Indonesia is listed as one of the countries where TENET will open first: 26 August.

However, the government has issued no statement allowing cinemas to reopen, so WB really knows a lot. 😎

There is an ongoing discussion about having the reopening sometime in August, but nothing formal has come out of it. Not yet.

Hopefully soon.

Indonesia set to reopen soon.

Notable import movies will be:

• Tenet
  • The New Mutants
  • Unhinged

Disney+ Hotstar will be available from 5 September, so looks like no Mulan in theaters.

There will be some re-release of successful local films cut short by the outbreak, such as Mariposa and Aku Tahu Kapan Kamu Mati ("I Know When You Will Die" - how eerie). By October it is expected that a semblance of normal scheduling for local movies will return.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, newbie BO buff said:

As the capital city reentered partial lockdown on Monday and cases spiraled out of control, hope fades for reopening anytime soon.

Indonesian cinemas may not reopen until January 2021.

The damage and industry setback will be unthinkable.

Goodbye, cruel world.

May be same in Ind-ia.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

May be same in Ind-ia.

This second delay (first one was 29 July) was even harder as come locations already had DCP's of Tenet and The New Mutants ingested, ready to go.

A lot of local movies intended for theatrical release have now gone to Netflix or the brand new Disney+ Hotstar Indonesia.

• Sad 1

Indonesia actually have one cinema open since 7 July: Hollywood Cinema in the city of Kendari, Southeast Sulawesi/Celebes. They have been playing very old movies, and new locally produced one. No admission data, but also no incidents reported.

On 26 September 2020, Cinema 21, the largest cinema chain in Indonesia, opened one of their outlets as a trial. Jatiland XXI is located in Ternate, capital of Northern Maluku province. Limited seating and the usual protocols applied.

First day result was very promising, as nearly 30% of tickets were sold.

There is unconfirmed information that partial reopening will commence in the next two months (looks like aiming for James Bond).

We'll see about that.

• Like 1

Indonesian cinemas started to open gradually from October 9th.

Exhibitors started with smaller towns and cities, and with practically no prior announcement, to minimize backlash.

As of today, November 18th, 119 out of 417 locations are open. Not all screens are open in each location. Capacity is capped at 25-50% depending on local regulation.

The dearth of new titles continue to haunt these still-empty halls.

Let's see if December can bring some change.

On 11/18/2020 at 12:38 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

@newbie BO buff how are Korean, Chinese and Japanese films in Indonesia because there are bunch of them in last few months.

Hi Charlie, none of the distributors are willing to divulge their numbers, but I can tell you they're all pretty modest.

Even Peninsula didn't work.