newbie BO buff

Indonesia Box Office 2023 - thanks for updating

List of biggest imported movies of 2018 in Indonesia. Based on the latest estimates, Aquaman has climbed to #5 with $11.7m, and could be as high as #2 by the end of its run.

Bumblebee will likely enter this list soon. If it makes more than $10m too, then we will have 9 movies above that milestone this year, which broke 2017 record with "only" 6 movies.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 4

Bumblebee opened with $4.9m in Indonesia.

Comparison with other Transformers movies:

IMG-20181224-114204.jpg

Even though it's basically a spin-off, it opened about the same with 2 previous movies. Expect it to have a slightly higher total than AoE, thanks to better WOM, and year-end holidays. I don't think Mary Poppins will be a competition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

This market grow so fast

ps: pray for the victim 

Thank you. It's so devastating that we've had 3 big earthquakes/tsunamis in the span of only 5 months. I'm so sad to the point that I can't watch or read the news about it anymore. It's just too much.

Anyways, back to the good news. Yes, the maket is growing fast. Box office records are broken every year. Before 2017, only 9 imported movies ever reached $10m. By the end of 2018, we will have 24! Local movies box office is growing even more. Since 2016, the total admissions for Indonesian movies have been rising significantly, as you can see here:

People thought 2016 was a fluke, just like 2008 & 2009. But then 2017 grew again from the year before. And 2018 grew even bigger, and now it has reached 49m and will get to 50m eventually. So the admission number for local movies has tripled in just 3 years. We'll see if this continues in 2019. But I'm very optimistic about it.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 3