newbie BO buff

Indonesia Box Office 2023 - thanks for updating

Indonesia key release dates

04 DEC - Jumanji: The Next Level

04 DEC - Knives Out (or 11 DEC)

05 DEC - Darah Daging (local)

05 DEC - Eggnoid: Cinta & Portal Waktu (local)

06 DEC - Last Christmas

12 DEC - Jeritan Malam (local)

12 DEC - Rembulan Tenggelam di Wajahmu (local)

13 DEC - Black Christmas

18 DEC - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

19 DEC - Habibie & Ainun 3 (local)

19 DEC - Imperfect: Karir, Cinta, & Timbangan (local)

20 DEC - Cats

25 DEC - Spies in Disguise

26 DEC - Si Manis Jembatan Ancol (local)

27 DEC - Bombshell

31 DEC - Ip Man 4: The Finale

Will add analysis/notes later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jumanji: The Next Level opens today.

After a rather slow start, ticket sales have really picked up today, best seats in prime time is now hard find. My team member attended a special screening last night, looks to be another crowdpleaser. Screening has tighter security than usual, phones secured etc.

I will see it in a few hours time, along with Cinépolis official launch in Indonesia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Short comment:

#JumanjiTheNextLevel starts off leisurely but then really hits its stride and has maximum fun with its signature switcheroo hijinx. Additional characters make the channelings all the more enjoyable. Still a family-friendly crowdpleaser!

Early outlook:

My (super duper) early outlook for #JumanjiTheNextLevel Indonesia OW: $5.54-6.33M gross 1.65-1.89M admission Will try to properly look at tomorrow's situation and update this projection. Could swing both ways.

Anyway, Jumanji 2017's OW ($3.4M) is basically toast.

Edited by newbie BO buff
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, newbie BO buff said:

In just three days of play, Jumanji: The Next Level will match or surpass the 5-day OW of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle.

Looks like the full 5-day OW will be at the high end of my projection ($6M+).

Around 1,100 screens are given to Jumanji, from a total of 1,979.

Looks like the last $10m+ of 2019. Unless SW9 surprises. But very unlikely.

Edited by catlover

11 minutes ago, catlover said:

Looks like the last $10m+ of 2019. Unless SW9 surprises. But very unlikely.

Absolutely agree.

The Last Jedi only did a little over $5M, with a truly awful 1.66x multiplier as well.

Breaking $6M (due to organic growth) is the best that TROS could hope for.

Local biggies Habibie & Ainun 3 and Imperfect will kill it.

Last weekend's top 4:

EM1JALsU4AAdUVe?format=jpg&name=large

Details for SW9:

EM1OhF9UwAAMgRi?format=jpg&name=large

That's slightly lower than SW8's OW ($3.1m). Also, @newbie BO buff is worried that SW9 will not have better legs, so its total will be less than SW8's $5.2m. Which means it will be outgrossed by the local movie that is currently at #2 and very likely by the one at #4 as well. So yeah, not very good but kinda expected.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2019 at 3:04 AM, Claudio said:

It’s hard to feel the buzz of an animation here. But a little fact , there’s still no animation which crossed $10M mark to date. So , I guess there’s a ceiling for animation and to keep your expectation on check , let Frozen 2 break the barrier first.

On 11/5/2019 at 3:41 AM, catlover said:

Yeah, even for other movies, we don't really feel the buzz until the week they're released, or even until the opening day. Let alone an animated movie. Unless it's a big franchise movie like MCU.

Also, animated movies are not that popular in Indonesia. There's still a stigma that they are made for kids only, especially Disney princess movies. I think the biggest one is Minions with $8.7m, then Incredibles 2 with $8m and TS4 with $6.3m. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But I do know that a lot of people are excited about Frozen 2. Its popularity has risen exponentially since the first movie. So I don't know, maybe it's gonna be the first one to cross $10m, or maybe adults here are not ready to embrace a Disney princess movie yet.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:51 PM, Arendelle Legion said:

Hopefully Indonesia will venture into the unknown this time.

Dreams really do come true  ❄️🔥🌪️ 🏔️ ❄️

Indonesia is making a strong play to be a top 3 favorite market of mine here in 2019. 2020s should only get better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Dreams really do come true  ❄️🔥🌪️ 🏔️ ❄️

Indonesia is making a strong play to be a top 3 favorite market of mine here in 2019. 2020s should only get better.

I always had this feeling that Frozen 2 would make it. There was this talk about which animated film would pass $10m for the first time. I thought about TS4 because I2 made $8m. But then I remembered I2 had superhero theme and it was released right in a middle of Eid holiday, which was immediately followed by school holiday. A perfect release date that cannot be replicated until maybe 2050.

So I was sure that Frozen II was gonna be the one. But people were still skeptical and it made me lose my faith a little bit. I'm so glad I was right. 😁

Edited by catlover
  • Like 4

On 12/28/2019 at 8:16 PM, catlover said:

Last weekend's top 4:

EM1JALsU4AAdUVe?format=jpg&name=large

Details for SW9:

EM1OhF9UwAAMgRi?format=jpg&name=large

That's slightly lower than SW8's OW ($3.1m). Also, @newbie BO buff is worried that SW9 will not have better legs, so its total will be less than SW8's $5.2m. Which means it will be outgrossed by the local movie that is currently at #2 and very likely by the one at #4 as well. So yeah, not very good but kinda expected.

TBH I don't think TROS will hit $5M. The drop was atrocious. Very visible even without reading the actual numbers.

INDONESIA KEY RELEASE DATES JAN-FEB

08 JAN - Underwater

10 JAN - Playing with Fire

15 JAN - Dolittle

17 JAN - Bad Boys for Life

22 JAN - 1917

24 JAN - Enter the Fat Dragon

05 FEB - Birds of Prey

07 FEB - Little Women

12 FEB - Fantasy Island

19 FEB - The Gentlemen

21 FEB - Brahms: The Boy II