Blankments

47 Meters Down | Johannes Roberts | June 16, 2017

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 8:14 AM, rjones1325 said:

Once upon a time there was a film called In the Deep. This film was a low budget creature feature that was set for an August 2016 DVD release. The movie starred Mandy Moore, Claire Holt, and Matthew Modine. It had itself set for DVD shelves and digital VOD outlets until some ass hat movie studio named ENTERTAINMENT STUDIOS (yeah great name) decided to buy the rights from Dimension Films and release it to theaters a goddamn year after for my dumbass to sit through.

When an intentionally bad film is sent to DVD, I don't have to touch it. I purposefully don't watch straight to DVD films. Sometimes they find a home through home releases as some movies like Sharknado or Trick r' Treat become cult classics. But when you send that meant for DVD film to a damn theater, I will treat it like a movie that is sent to a damn theater because honestly THERE IS NO REASON WHY THIS FILM NEEDS TO BE IN A DAMN FUCKING THEATER! 

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//47-meters-down-review

Angry much dude?  Lol

No ones forcing u to go.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So, I'm curious how this one opens? $15M+ DOM? Or, is that too high? It's the one that I plan to see this weekend.

yeah I would say that is too high.  Unless some breakout happens, it will be closer to $15 mil in its entire run than on OW 

3 minutes ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

Since the Marketing for this movie is piss poor, it'll have to rely on very good WOM and make the studio look stupid for not promoting this better..

I don't disagree. There's an audience for movies like this and I'm in it. Marketed better and looks like a fun, silly shark flick.

• Like 1

The biggest issue with this film and I've already said it before is that the marketing for it hasn't been good at all. Having seen the film, the marketing is really letting it down. I think the film will have decent WOM but it's not going to be anything that buoys it throughout the weekend or even its run.

The marketing needed to be better to sell this movie. The screams and review blurbs aren't selling this film for what it is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

See?? This saddens me and causes me to be concerned next summer with the marketing for "MEG".. Jesus, this movie is 20 years in the making.. I pray they don't screw that up and actually take it seriously.. :WHATanabe:

I just feel like the way they're marketing this movie really takes away from the type of intense film it is. I know I keep harping up this tree but apart of the reason why The Shallows was as successful as it was, was because the marketing was A+ for it. 

So it's definitely possible to market a movie like this the right way and I think the folks behind Meg will find the right balance of providing intensity, action and angst in their marketing. 

The folks behind 47 Meters Down haven't found the right balance (imo) and ultimately I think it's going to cost them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

I just feel like the way they're marketing this movie really takes away from the type of intense film it is. I know I keep harping up this tree but apart of the reason why The Shallows was as successful as it was, was because the marketing was A+ for it. 

So it's definitely possible to market a movie like this the right way and I think the folks behind Meg will find the right balance of providing intensity, action and angst in their marketing. 

The folks behind 47 Meters Down haven't found the right balance (imo) and ultimately I think it's going to cost them. 

yeah i'm just hoping for a decent movie since I am a big shark guy

• Like 2

There's no way this is opening in 3500 theaters. It's not in any of the big theaters that have reserved seating in my area. 

I think its probably 1500 like EC said, but there was just a mistake made when the theater counts were released.