Blankments

47 Meters Down | Johannes Roberts | June 16, 2017

42 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Buddy went to the premiere last night, said it was better than The Shallows because this movie is actually kinda self aware and not completely serious 

I like both movies but I thought shallows was considerably better. This one definitely look like a bit of a low-budget movie but it's still good and it's got a fair amount of jumps and scares and so on.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

I like both movies but I thought shallows was considerably better. This one definitely look like a bit of a low-budget movie but it's still good and it's got a fair amount of jumps and scares and so on.

I agree with this. I personally thought The Shallows was better but The Shallows was also one of my favorite films of 2016 so maybe I'm being too much of a fanboy for that film and I'm not the best person to compare this film with the The Shallows lol 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I didn't know Daisy Ridley was in 47 Meters Down. Is she playing all of the sharks?

No, she's playing the deceased daughter of Matthew Modine's character, whom died at sea due to a shark attack.

This explains his activity in the waters. He returns to the place that took his only child because it's his way of coping and learning to live with the sea.

Here, he learns the sea doesn't take any sides but its own. 

Eventually, he decides to do something about it, and he wreaks havoc on innocent tourists by descending them beneath the waters and letting the sea decide their faith.

It's his way of making right with what happened with his daughter.

7IQWbXH.gif

• Like 3

How have so many seen this already? Read early screenings but you saw it too, Baumer? Was In The Deep released on DVD then pulled? Regardless, happy to read it's a fun shark romp!

Edit - Wait a minute? PG-13? I was hoping for something in the vein of Bait 3D or Piranha 3D. Pfft. Meh, I'm still game but this is deflating.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

How have so many seen this already? Baumer? Was In The Deep released on DVD then pulled?

Happy to read it's a run shark romp!

Wait a minute? PG-13? I was hoping for something in the vein of Bait 3D or Piranha 3D. Pfft. Meh, I'm still game but this is deflating.

Just now, HesAPooka said:

they're going a bunch of screening this week

It was already released on home video last August. It was called In The Deep at that time but they changed it to 47 Meters Down for the theatrical release

6 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hmm. That seems rare. Has this happened before with a movie that's getting pretty wide release?

I think this is been covered before but obviously they are trying to capitalize on the success of the shallows. I hope it works for them because it is a really decent film. But I just don't think the marketing has really been there to have a shallows kind of run.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Cochofles said:

It's a very effective thriller, in my opinion. I am actually surprised that I enjoyed it so much.  

I'm a sucker for shark movies, and I too found this one very effective.

• Like 3

Why it got a wide release because I know it's been asked and our answer have been speculation. 

We were in post-production when they started on The Shallows,” Roberts explained to Dread Central. “But theirs was a studio movie that had a lot of money, and moved fast. I think we just didn’t have the money to compete with them, but then the movie worked super well and we could have got caught up a little bit. The Weinsteins were not sure what to do with it, and then you know what? The Shallows ended up to be a great thing for us. It did super well, it proved people are really interested in the genre.

He continued, “So yeah, it was a funny time, but this happens all the time in film, you’re working on something and something else comes out and if they have more money and clout they can beat you to the cinemas. So it’s good and it’s bad, you just have to roll with it, you can’t get too angry or caught up in it.”

Source: http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3442163/47-meters-got-theatrical-release-shallows/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

So is there a lot of suspense/thrills/scares in this movie I would suppose? (I guess a better question would be are they effective?) Because if so I might see this tonight.

It honestly depends on the person on whether they're effective or not. For some folks they are effective because the situation the women are in would be a nightmare and for others it could just be dumb (I'm going based on the reviews). 

I thought this movie was pretty decent and effective for what it is, but it's definitely not a film that I'm going to tell all my friends who like scary/horror movies to go see. If I know they like shark type movies or films that strand folks then I'd recommend it. But if you're looking for a movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time then I don't think this movie is for you....because there are quite a few dumb moments in it that kind of take you out of the film.

But in the end if you have interest in seeing a movie, go. The worse thing that happens is that you don't like it but at least then you can have a discussion about the film with others who have seen it. 

• Like 2