WrathOfHan

Glass | Jan 18, 2019 | The 22nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019

If this movie is a bait and switch that’s not good for WoM.  I can hardly think of an example of a movie that sold itself as something that it wasn’t and didn’t have mediocre-bad WoM, even the good ones. Ultimately, people like to know what they’re buying.

Venom seems like a poor comp because the movie gives you what the trailer promises pretty much.

4 hours ago, The Panda said:

Venom seems like a poor comp because the movie gives you what the trailer promises pretty much.

Venom trailers sold it as a self-serious, Daredevil 2003-type shitfest.

The actual film ended up being a live action looney tunes cartoon. The best kind of bait & switch

I had the opportinuty to assist to a preview screening of Glass in Spain, which is where I am from.

It certainly is quite quaint to see what happens to Shyamalan's movies, which aren't generally well received at first, and it is after their release that they are reivindicated (Unbreakable, The Village, etc).

Glass is not going to be any different. To say that it is a good movie is to stay far too short. I think it is a true masterpiece, way ahead of its time, with a script that has so many elements going on that it is mandatory to see the movie at least twice to fully get the big picture. And the crazy thing is that it works like a clockwork. Yeah, of course it has a few conveniences here and there, but overall it is a really really good script.

And that is just one part of the equation. Let me begin to say that I think the Shyamalan from The Village is long gone, but, yet, there is such craftmanship in how and where he works the camera, there is such control of the atmosphere and its tone that turns watching the movie into a blissful experience.

What is more, McAvoy, Jackson and Paulson give stellar performances, Willis is also pretty good, but those other three are just magnificient.

I am not sure what the general audience's reactions are going to be, they may feel indifferent about it, or they may be dissapointed after the first 20-30 minutes, which is the most crowd pleasing part of the movie.

Just go and watch the movie, and rejoice. For once, we are not living in mediocre times.

Edited by LouderThanYou
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

Will reviews hurt the box office at all?

The reviews being so weak and coming out more than a week before release will definitely hurt. This should still open with $60M+ over the 4 day but this will be dead by the time Valentine’s Day/President’s Day Weekend comes around.

There are very positive and interesting video reviews by ScreenJunkies and Collider Video. Jeff Sneider on Collider loved the film and he's always super negative as he says so himself. Like John Rocha says in the Collider review, there's a moment in the film (ending?) where you'll either be on or off the train. They said their staff was mixed positive, so it's just one of those films really and that's a great thing imo.

The trailers don't seem to be a bait and switch, it's clear most of the film takes place in the 

Spoiler

institution

If anything, the ending is where it'll be divisive. I doubt the film will have dreadful WOM, we'll see. It'll be profitable on the OW alone, anything after that is gravy man