WrathOfHan

Glass | Jan 18, 2019 | The 22nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019

M. Night Shyamalan’s ‘Glass’ To Smash $105M+ Worldwide Over MLK Weekend

After a post-holiday sleeper period at the box office largely dominated by Warner Bros’ Aquaman, the 2019 box office is set to wake up this weekend with its first, truly fire-breathing event film, Glass, from two-time Oscar nominee M. Night Shyamalan. It is looking at a $105 million-$120 million global start, inclusive of the four-day MLK holiday in the U.S.

Deadline

• Astonished 1

Just saw an early screening... and was very disappointed. It's not terrible but, man, I expected so much more.  It starts out strong but drags badly through the middle before really going off the rails at the end. The crowd I saw it with seemed equally unimpressed. I so wanted to like/love this movie, as I love Unbreakable and enjoyed Split a lot, also. I was hoping Shyamalan's career was back on track, but this seems like another step in the wrong direction.  Way too many WTF moments, especially in the third act.  I expect it to sink like a stone after this weekend's strong opening. But I also thought Aquaman's legs would be poor, so what do I know?

Edited by John Harris
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John Harris said:

Just saw an early screening... and was very disappointed. It's not terrible but, man, I expected so much more.  It starts out strong but drags badly through the middle before really going off the rails at the end. The crowd I saw it with seemed equally unimpressed. I so wanted to like/love this movie, as I love Unbreakable and enjoyed Split a lot, also. I was hoping Shyamalan's career was back on track, but this seems like another step in the wrong direction.  Way too many WTF moments, especially in the third act.  I expect it to sink like a stone after this weekend's strong opening. But I also thought Aquaman's legs would be poor, so what do I know?

THIS.  THIS.  THIS. 

Was hoping the reviews were wrong, too...but nah.  It's a hollow shell of a film.

Saw it tonight, too.  Such a disappointment.

P.S.  (minor spoiler)

Spoiler

Night cameos.  Not surprising.  He references Unbreakable.  Not surprising.  But he cameos *as his own character* from Unbreakable (!)  One step too winky-winky nudge nudge.  Just like the whole movie.

Edited by Macleod

17 hours ago, TombRaider said:

This is why just counting the budget to define a movie's success is dumb.

Yeh and this was me watching in the U.K. so these adverts weren’t even during the ad breaks. They were during the program. Actually at one point they upgraded the seats of a family, courtesy of Glass and they were wearing jackets with Glass written on them 😂

Overkill

I'm kinda sad tho. I have 2 free tickets to waste before feb 15 and i have no movie to see, literally. I wanted to see this but its bad so now i have nothing since alita and happy death day premiere on feb 15 and escape room/us in march:whosad:

Edited by TombRaider

16 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

I'm kinda sad tho. I have 2 free tickets to waste before feb 15 and i have no movie to see, literally. I wanted to see this but its bad so now i have nothing since alita and happy death day premiere on feb 15 and escape room/us in march:whosad:

So, go see it...I got 2 free tickets to Upside today, and I'm going when I had zero plans for it (and it's reviewed just about as well:)...what's better than a funny or scary movie with a significant other?

If I had gotten the 2 free tickets to Glass, I'd be there instead Friday night:)...