WrathOfHan

Glass | Jan 18, 2019 | The 22nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Massive spoilers for Split:

Spoiler

http://uproxx.com/movies/unbreakable-sequel-m-night-shyamalan/

It’s been 17 years since M. Night Shyamalan’s Unbreakable hit theaters and, finally, he plans to make a full on sequel his next film – a film, as Shyamalan says, that will wrap up the story.

“I do intend on making a final Unbreakable movie and I’m intending on doing it next,” Shyamalan said when I spoke to him in an interview about his latest film, Split.

Shyamalan continued, “It’s the final movie of these two movies put together.”

Unbreakable, which was Shyamalan’s follow-up to his breakthrough film, The Sixth Sense, was unique in that it was a deliberate and nuanced take on a superhero origin story – and that all of his characters were original creations. It also grossed just under $250 million off of a reported $75 million budget. It was a film primed for sequels. And, technically, with Split we finally get that sequel – even though we don’t really realize that until the final scene. But now we know Shyamalan intends to make is next film a true Unbreakable film that will bring all the characters from Unbreakable and Split together.

“Yeah, I’m still close to Bruce and everybody,” says Shyamalan. “And obviously I’m still close to James and still in touch with Sam and all that stuff. So, hopefully that becomes a reality very soon.”

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Hopefully he doesn't go off the rails with it. Unbreakable is grounded and subdued, and the sequel should have the same kind of tone, in my opinion. 

I believe he said in an interview that he's going to keep it low budget. I'd probably expect something around 50M.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 7

More Split spoilers:

I was pretty bummed out when two of the girls died at the end of the movie, so now I really want to see Bruce Willis kick Kevin's ass in

Unbreakable 2. Bonus points if he trolls him like Hans Gruber got trolled in Die Hard.

Edited by RySenkari
  • Like 5

Spoiler

Other Possible Unbreakable/Split Connections:

• Kevin's father got on a train once and never came home. Obvious tie to the train crash in Unbreakable.
  • Kevin's mother abused him to the point of his DID. Possible tie to the scene in the stadium where David Dunn gets a flash from a mother with her son hinting at abuse, the only flash that isn't accompanied by a vision.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1622109/what-the-split-and-unbreakable-crossover-might-actually-be-about

My thought bubble would be---again, don't hold me to this---but Elijah never got out of the institution. He was just a guy who believed this. But David doesn't quite 100 percent believe it that way. He just thinks that he is particularly meant to do this, and [that belief] is kind of faded a little bit. Like, this idea of comic books, that Elijah was saying the comic book world is based on reality, that it's real---there's no other evidence for this. It's this crazy guy who has this bone disorder who's in an insane asylum. But then [Split] comes up, and he's like, 'Oh my God, he's right.'

This puts the final scene in a whole new contex :ohmygod: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Spoiler

That was my thought process when the reveal was made. David never seemed to fully embrace the idea of himself being a superhero. And there's the notion that he turned his back on being one because he was essentially manipulated by Elijah. But now that a real physical supervillain exists, he'll have to embrace who he is.

The thing to remember is this both is *and* isn't a comic book movie. Things in this movie universe aren't going to play out exactly like in comic books. The idea of Mr. Glass as a villain is really about people's perception because of who he is and what he did. That doesn't make him the actual villain here.

Also: SPOILERS!!!

Edited by Jay Beezy

http://www.blastr.com/2017-2-7/shyamalan-why-his-next-film-cant-just-be-straight-unbreakablesplit-sequel

"All I can say is this: If Unbreakable was about a guy who is the only person who survives a train wreck, everyone dies and he doesn't have a scratch on him -- how is that possible? That's a high-concept, really cool story. And then this one is three girls get abducted by a person that has this disorder that he believes he's many people, and all of the different personalities are saying there's another personality coming to get them, it's called The Beast. That in and of itself is a really cool thing. This third movie needs to have its own idea. The high concept of that final movie can’t be, 'It’s the final Unbreakable.' There has to be something about that that makes it its own movie … That’s when I'll be happiest, is when it's its own movie. In a way it could be watched by itself."

This movie just keeps sounding better and better.

• Like 1