WrathOfHan

Glass | Jan 18, 2019 | The 22nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

didn't realize Unbreakable only had a C cinemascore. not especially good legs either. i kinda get that since the movie is 100% a moody bummer. at least split has mcavoy camping it up.

The trailer was 100% misdirection and smokescreen(which we could use more of).  I love the fuck out of the movie, but I think everyone was wanting another scary movie, and it wasn't.

3 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

No idea why it posted both tweets...just wanted the bottom one.

Someone writing:
Paging all M.Night Shyamalan on twitter (and twitting something to start with)

Followed by:

I insist you do not @ me about, do not have time for confrontation

Could be a nice psychoanalyst case, whether about lying or self delusion.

I just rewatched unbreakable last night. I was one of those guys who was all “it’s shyamalan’s masterpiece!!!”. But liked it a little less this time. Still pretty good but don’t have the same love for it i did when I was like 15.

• Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Someone writing:
Paging all M.Night Shyamalan on twitter (and twitting something to start with)

Followed by:

I insist you do not @ me about, do not have time for confrontation

Could be a nice psychoanalyst case, whether about lying or self delusion.

You have to know the guy, he's just doing a bit.  He replied joking about getting murdered on twitter.

Unbreakable is top 5 funnybook films ever. Split had an awesome performance from McAvoy.

This was such a collosal dud. What a weird, dumb movie that even McAvoy putting everything & the kitchen sink into his performance couldn’t save. This must have been how the Matrix sequels must have felt like in terms of sheer disappointment. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

Unbreakable is top 5 funnybook films ever. Split had an awesome performance from McAvoy.

This was such a collosal dud. What a weird, dumb movie that even McAvoy putting everything & the kitchen sink into his performance couldn’t save. This must have been how the Matrix sequels must have felt like in terms of sheer disappointment. 

I can't believe one review said "as bad as Life Itself." THAT bad? :(

That doesn't sound too good.
But one review from a moviegoer here (it started already today) gives me some hope: The guy writes that the film has not much action and lots of dialogues, but that the slowly growing tension and atmosphere would be one of the film's biggest strengths. And he liked the showdown very much. Glass would be an intelligent, captivating film and a very good completion of the trilogy (8.5 of 10).
As a member said, so many different opinions.

By the way, I didn't like Unbreakable that much when I saw it the first time because I expected a second Sixth Sense. Now I would rate it much better.

There are a lot of different takes on Glass, the Screenjunkies and Collider video reviews for example are quite effusive, it really seems to be the example of a film that will frustrate and anger a lot of people because it doesn't give them what they want and expect. And it won't be everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. Unbreakable is a masterpiece and a classic to me, I really like Split, I have no expectations in terms of what should happen in Glass. 

The fact that it takes place mainly in one location will probably bother some folks, I hope the Cinemascore doesn't suffer too much but anyway, the film exists, it's a miracle, M.Night footed the bill. Regardless of the legs, it will make a profit within a week, M.Night has no plans for sequels (that he says), so it doesn't matter really ^^ It's here, that's all that matters. 

• Thanks 1

James McAvoy is easily the best part of the film and one particular scene got me really emotional. SLJ is very good too and Mr Glass's arc is a definite natural progression from Unbreakable. Bruce Willis does decently with what he's given but unfortunately David Dunn doesn't get much to do other than some decent action scenes. 

Just saw it. 

Thought it was the natural conclusion and not in the least bit disappointed. Sincere and moving, which for this Unbreakable fan is exactly how that made me feel. 

I’m not sure the younger Avengers generation will quite have the patience for it.  There’s not the flashy production values and expensive set pieces. It’s M Night through and through. You already know if you like his style or not. 

Expect many a packed theater auditorium to have sniggering SFX junkies ruining the heart-on-sleeve tapestry M Night has woven. 

Find yourself a quiet early morning show where you can be alone with the few not munching their popcorn and thinking they’re above it.  

If it splits fandom in two then so be it. We don’t all have to like the same things. But if you really, really love the core of what comic books are all about then I think you’re in for a treat. I was enthralled from start to finish. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

For those who already watched it, what's the possible CinemaScore for this?

I keep hearing from several users that the movie might frustrate and anger a lot of people. 

Probably a C

But those who love it are going to really love it.  

Especially those that were moved to tears by Unbreakable 19 years ago on its first run and it has stayed with them. 

This will be a fun few years arguing with people about this movie.  Boy will there be some arguments!!

For me personally, this was the natural finale to what was set up. I was smiling coming out. Smiling even more at the mixed reaction from some of the younger people walking out behind me. This isn’t for them and I love that :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Probably a C

But those who love it are going to really love it.  

Especially those that were moved to tears by Unbreakable 19 years ago on its first run and it has stayed with them. 

This will be a fun few years arguing with people about this movie.  Boy will there be some arguments!!

For me personally, this was the natural finale to what was set up. I was smiling coming out. Smiling even more at the mixed reaction from some of the younger people walking out behind me. This isn’t for them and I love that :)

Tastes and film judgment are much more diverse than even what you say.  I'm a huge supporter of Unbreakable, but Glass is a silly, hollow wipeout, to me.  And I'm very knowledgeable of the genre of superhero films and comic books.  But I look at each film as it is, how it works on its own terms.

Edited by Macleod

Just now, Macleod said:

Tastes and judgment are much more diverse than even what you say.  I'm a huge supporter of Unbreakable, but Glass is a silly, hollow wipeout, to me. 

That’s why this is going to be fun. 

I think there’s something to be said for the budget of this movie. It’s notably not on the same level of studio quality as Unbreakable. Yet the essence of how that film struck a chord with me is very much there in this. 

Someone else has already said this... but James Newton Howard's hugely empathetic, melancholy Unbreakable score is *sorely* missed here.  There were a number of times throughout this where I was thinking, "if Night would just allow those Unbreakable themes to creep in a bit more, it would sell these characters to me more...I would buy into it."  But nope. 

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Someone else has already said this... but James Newton Howard's hugely empathetic, melancholy Unbreakable score is *sorely* missed here.  There were a number of times throughout this where I was thinking, "if Night would just allow those Unbreakable themes to creep in a bit more, it would sell these characters to me more...I would buy into it."  But nope. 

John Newton Howard is not scoring this?!

:winomg:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Just saw it. 

Thought it was the natural conclusion and not in the least bit disappointed. Sincere and moving, which for this Unbreakable fan is exactly how that made me feel. 

I’m not sure the younger Avengers generation will quite have the patience for it.  There’s not the flashy production values and expensive set pieces. It’s M Night through and through. You already know if you like his style or not. 

Expect many a packed theater auditorium to have sniggering SFX junkies ruining the heart-on-sleeve tapestry M Night has woven. 

Find yourself a quiet early morning show where you can be alone with the few not munching their popcorn and thinking they’re above it.  

If it splits fandom in two then so be it. We don’t all have to like the same things. But if you really, really love the core of what comic books are all about then I think you’re in for a treat. I was enthralled from start to finish. 

Why can't we have both ?

I am not asking Glass to be modern blockbuster big obviously  but geez everything about the Glass trailer looks cheap and small to me.

Maybe there is a middle ground to find I dunno.

If you have big ideas, give thems bones and structure and a bit of scale.

Is that too much to ask ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

it's amazing that unbreakable cost $75 million and that feels small. pretty much all the action takes place off screen. its biggest setpiece is bruce willis falling into a pool. though back then Jackson, Willis and Night all probs got like $10mil each on that one.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's amazing that unbreakable cost $75 million and that feels small. pretty much all the action takes place off screen. its biggest setpiece is bruce willis falling into a pool. though back then Jackson, Willis and Night all probs got like $10mil each on that one.

This was the age of the 80-100m comedies.

More than half of that sum was for Willis-SLJ-M Night and don't forget one of the most powerful couple of Hollywood Miss Lucasfilms/marshall production company.