Plain Old Tele

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 (2017)

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 (2017)  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I had some reservations about this movie at first, that it doesn't flow as easily or has the same spark as the first GotG, but right now I think it's the best marvel movie since the Avengers and does what every great sequel should do. It expands on all the things the first one did so good and even improves on the stuff that weren't so great.

It's vastly more ambitious and goes to some weird places both thematically and especially visually. All the new characters and settings are very well thought out and instantly memorable, the Ravagers and Mantis and Ego's planet or that never ending joke about baby Groot keep bringing back all the wrong stuff to Yondu and ending up with a severed human toe. Things get weird in this movie and it's all for the better.

Of course a great villain is the biggest improvement, and it's not just that Ego is fun and unique, but that he ties so seamlesly with all the themes and emotional beats James Gunn is going for. The way the narrative breaks in little groups that all highlighting the ways all these characters have been mistreated or abandoned by their parents and trying instead to built a “family” of their own, fits perfectly with a villain that is so indifferent to the entire universe. Ego doesn't really want to kill anyone specifically, he's just so arrogant that the universe doesn't even register for him. He just doesn't care. His exisestence makes all other interactions more meaningful and emotional.

Maybe I love it so much because I got my own daddy issues but I found it so emotionally rich and so much more expansive the second time around. Even the aesthetic is more aggressively weird and out there than every other marvel movie would ever dare to go, including the first guardians.

I usually like the connective stuff in the mcu movies and the Guardians were amongst the standouts in Infinity War, but I'm also thankful they left Gunn alone in his corner to build his little weird universe overpopulated with winning characters and blindings colors. All I'm saying is pls don't put Thor or anyone else on GotG3.

A.

• Like 1

Everyone's favorite quirky team of space fairing misfits return in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!

The previous film was unprecedented success and is widely considered to be this generations Star Wars. However, unlike the original Star Wars saga, which contained a darker, more mature middle chapter , Guardians has knuckled down on the foolishness.

James Gunn pulls no comedic punches in his follow-up which is rife with fart jokes, poop jokes, slapstick, quippy dialog, dead baby jokes, holocaust jokes, jokes about the mentally handicapped, jokes at the expensive of the elderly, euthanasia jokes, fat jokes, rape jokes, cute animal jokes, dead baby animal jokes, funny dialog that's sounds like a joke, but it isn't and so much less.

Your family will laugh until they shit themselves and die watching this fucking movie.

Is it any good? Not really. Does anything of actual consequence occur in the films plot? Of course not, it's a Marvel movie. Nothing is allowed to happen until Infinite War and maybe not even then. Who cares?

Starlord, I am Groot, Raccoon guy, Drax and that generic stock character green bitch are joined by even more quirky characters like Glagnor Googflex and Michael Rooker! I can't wait until some of them die.

It's so fucking goofy, there's no room to breath!

• Knock It Off 6

On 5/5/2017 at 5:31 PM, WrathOfHan said:

It's fine. The humor works well earlier in the film, but the film starts dragging after the prison breakout when I realize there's no story at all. You could have easily cut a good chunk of this movie and still have the same outcome. The cast still works well off each other, and Kurt Russell does the best of what he can with a generic villain. The third act suffers from the same problem the first had with action in that it's just shit flying all over the image with no rhyme or reason. I'll be seeing it again next weekend in IMAX, so I'm curious to see how much this improves on a rewatch. For now, it's a solid but unspectacular film. 7/10 | B-

Uh...... can I say how wrong I was? Because this is an easy 9 now :sparta: I have no clue wtf I was thinking when I saw it opening day

• Like 1

Best superhero movie (at least for "solo" films as Avengers team-up stuff is a different sort of beast for me). Barring a couple of jokes everything works really well, I actually loved how over-the-top the action was at points, it really felt like the movie made use of the comic-book aesthetic in a way that many don't, the opening credits action, the Yondu breakout scene, and Rocket vs Ravagers really stood out. The visuals and colors really popped off the screen and it is just a delight to look at. Character arcs were really well done, yeah a lot of stuff was done in monologues but when the monologues are well done, they still work great. Ego was one of Marvel's better villains and Kurt Russell gave the character a nice presence. The ending was fantastic and the most emotional I've gotten in any of these films. One of my all-time favorite movies as a whole let alone superhero movies. A+