Blankments

If Minorities Made the Most - A Box Office List

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

I think Blanks mistakenly assumed Carlos Saldanha did all the Ice Age movies since I can find nothing on Wedge that asserts he's not a straight white male.

He was a co-director on the first one. I think Blanks only listed the ones Carlos Saldanha was a director on.

Edited by cannastop

4 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Animated films in general are pretty pointless for this, as the "director" doesn't have the same job and is rarely used in marketing like directors of live-action films are.

Even if I agreed with this they still suffer from the same issues of representation. For all their movies about princesses, no Disney animated film was directed by a woman until Frozen.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Lizzy said:

So this year Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman), Taika Waititi (Thor 3) and maybe Kathryn Bigelow (Detroit) will be added to the list. Any other films being released that could qualify?

All Eyez On Me, Rough Night, Girls Trip, 2017 Cloverfield Movie possibly. Pitch Perfect 3 for sure. If Geostorm somehow makes money I guess Dean Devlin? His mother is Filipino. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

Not this year but Nika Caro should get on the list with Mulan in 2018. 

As should Ryan Coogler with Black Panther, maybe Ava DuVernay with A Wrinkle in Time and J.A Bayona with Jurassic World 2

Edited by cookie
  • Like 6

To answer questions:

I did miss Good Dino and Shrek 1, I'll add it tomorrow when I update with F8 and B+TB actuals

Mendes I'm incredibly iffy on. I can put a poll as to adding him or not, but I personally don't think he qualifies. Espinosa is on the list as unlike Mendes, who is descended from Europeans, Espinosa's family history goes back to Chile. This might seem arbitrary, but Wikipedia defines people of color as people from non-European countries.

Carlos Saldanha has already been covered.

I stick by the Wachowskis being in here, although I get the reason some might be against it. I'm not negotiating on them really though, I've had long discussions with several people on if they should be on the list already.

Eduardo Sanchez was born in Cuba to Cuban parents. He's a person of color.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Mendes I'm incredibly iffy on. I can put a poll as to adding him or not, but I personally don't think he qualifies. Espinosa is on the list as unlike Mendes, who is descended from Europeans, Espinosa's family history goes back to Chile. This might seem arbitrary, but Wikipedia defines people of color as people from non-European countries.

Out of curiosity, how far back?

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

To answer questions:

I did miss Good Dino and Shrek 1, I'll add it tomorrow when I update with F8 and B+TB actuals

Carlos Saldanha has already been covered.

I stick by the Wachowskis being in here, although I get the reason some might be against it. I'm not negotiating on them really though, I've had long discussions with several people on if they should be on the list already.

Eduardo Sanchez was born in Cuba to Cuban parents. He's a person of color.

I disagree with the Wachowskis being on the list. Any movie as The Wachowski Brothers shouldn't qualify since they were White Guys when given the job which automatically precludes them from the list, once it was The Wachowskis, they can make it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

I disagree with the Wachowskis being on the list. Any movie as The Wachowski Brothers shouldn't qualify since they were White Guys when given the job which automatically precludes them from the list, once it was The Wachowskis, they can make it.

I think I agree with grim here. In terms of who they are now, the list is correct, but if we're trying to look at the list to get a sense of which minority filmmakers have the clout to film a blockbuster and get blockbuster returns, in 1999 and 2003 as far as WB was concerned they were two white dudes.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Blankments said:

This might seem arbitrary, but Wikipedia defines people of color as people from non-European countries.

Shouldn't it be non-European descent? Would Neill Blomkamp make the list?

• Community Manager
On 4/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, Tele Came Back said:

It's interesting to see where you draw the barrier -- and I don't think there's an obvious or clear answer. Mendes' father was Portuguese but he was born in England. And of course "Portuguese" could mean a variety of different ancestries.

As a sort-of counter argument, if I was a famous director, my mother is Greek but my father is American (of English/Scottish extraction). Is my "Greekness" enough to qualify me as a minority? I wouldn't think so and I look about as white as it gets. Then, to complicate things further, if my son becomes a famous director, he's got that Greek ancestry plus Spanish/Equadoran on his mother's side. Does he count as a minority? Technically, he does, without a doubt, but he's a blue-eyed, brown-haired kid -- if anything, he'll end up looking like a California surf dude.

There's a line to be drawn somewhere, and honestly I don't exactly know where the cutoff is. But Sam Mendes feels like a bridge too far, at least IMO.

First, Ecuadoran. Not Equadoran. Ecuadoran Tele. Come on!

Second, I'd totally count though!

• Like 2

Updated.

On 5/1/2017 at 2:23 PM, Tele Came Back said:

Out of curiosity, how far back?

I'm not sure (there's not much information on Espinosa in general online.) From my research though, it seems as though Chilean Swede is a significant minority in Sweden, and his father directly is from Chile.

As for the Wachowskis, I have put up a poll on their matter, and I will take the results for next week's update.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:17 PM, tribefan695 said:

Well, then you didn't have to call attention to a post I made five days ago.

Sorry I didn't mean to. This post was near the top of the main page when I commented. Look at the last reply before mine.

Edit: Oh you mean your comment. I was just scanning the thread. What I said applied to the whole thread not just your comment.

Edited by somebody85

On 2017-05-02 at 8:12 AM, Tele Came Back said:

I think I agree with grim here. In terms of who they are now, the list is correct, but if we're trying to look at the list to get a sense of which minority filmmakers have the clout to film a blockbuster and get blockbuster returns, in 1999 and 2003 as far as WB was concerned they were two white dudes.

Lana has spoken in great length about her questioning her gender identity during her youth. Being transgender obviously isn't just about having a sex change.

I look at all the white gay male directors on the list and by the same reasoning shouldn't we pick out the ones who weren't openly gay at the time they made those movies?