Blankments

If Minorities Made the Most - A Box Office List

I think guys find women characters who are superpowered to to be much more believable as action leads in movies.

Many men just don't believe or can't accept that a normal human woman can take down guys three times her size.

Edited by Mojoguy

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Resident Evil and Underworld have done well until their newest movies, but reviews for those movies have always been terrible.

Pretty laughable some fans think Wonder Woman only got great reviews because it had a female lead.

Resident evil latest movie did $300m on a budget of $40m. Underworld latest movie doubled it's budget. Why people think they did bad?

Edited by damnitgeorge08

41 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I think guys find women characters who are superpowered to to be more much believable as action leads in movies.

Many men just don't believe or can't accept that a normal human woman can take down guys three times their size.

This though if they keep casting soft as dough Scar-Jo and stick-insect Cara, nobody's going to believe it. OTOH, Black Panther ladies, Evangeline and Charlize look like they can beat the crap out of anyone.

@Barnack

And I think that why that the fantastic era we are in is in part why there is a little jump with female in action, in a world were everything is magic (star wars/superheroes/robots suits etc...) and nothing come from actual talent/muscle mass, but a magical - robotic strength, male or female become more and more irrelevant in term of physicality because even thought the actor are human male/female they do not plays humans at all, they often play a god/robot/fantastic magical being not a woman.

Biggest drawback for any characterization, not just action female (though they tend to be the biggest offenders due to writers desire to write a "progressive" message as opposed to a compelling character). For example, Orlando Bloom had his share of characters with completely inexplicable skills that he shouldn't have had due to character background. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

I think you're projecting your own feelings about  Scarlet Johansson here (and a lot in general, really). I don't think many people have an issue with her in action roles. 

I just don't think that BW is nearly as popular as some corners of the internet want to believe. And GitS and Rough Night are a proof that Lucy was a fluke. No projection, just numbers. :)

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Marvel doesn't think its worth making a solo Black Widow movie with Scarlet Johansson. They did an Ant-Man movie by the way.

Plus, Paul Rudd isn't asking a totally undeserved pricetag. wasn't she paid 17M for GitS? So unearned. It pays off to make Ant Man and Captain Marvel instead. I mean, they could still make BW movie for cheaper now that her boxoffice pull was exposed as bogus (she needs BW franchise more than MCU needs her) but they certainly didn't rush. 

Plus, Paul Rudd isn't asking a totally undeserved pricetag. wasn't she paid 17M for GitS? So unearned. It pays off to make Ant Man and Captain Marvel instead. I mean, they could still make BW movie for cheaper now that her boxoffice pull was exposed as bogus (she needs BW franchise more than MCU needs her) but they certainly didn't rush.

The window to make a Black Widow solo movie has long pass, her popularity was at her highest right after the first Avengers.

Marvel just wasn't interested, which is understandable. They wanted IM, CA, and Thor sequels and to expand with GOTG.

I can't see them do one now because BW herself isn't that interesting a character with a interesting powers, they've obviously decided to focus on Cap Marvel.

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I just don't think that BW is nearly as popular as some corners of the internet want to believe. And GitS and Rough Night are a proof that Lucy was a fluke. No projection, just numbers. :)

That doesn't have to do with what you said about SJ being unbelievable as a action protoganist.

9 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

That doesn't have to do with what you said about SJ being unbelievable as a action protoganist.

Well, if BW was so popular than MCu would surely make a BW movie. As it is, they didn't rush. even if they make it after 2019, it still shows that they didn't rush so perhaps they have data showing that Twitter questions about the movie =/= GA interest. or something. And yes, unbelievable is a big factor. When it's too damn obvious when your stunt double takes over, it's a problem. Some actors blend with theirs, some don't at all. 

@Mojoguy I also think that they have big plans with Wasp as they should. She's the most popular Marvel CB heroine. Even though movie one is Hope, not Janet.

Edited by Valonqar

Just now, Valonqar said:

Well, if BW was so popular than MCu would surely make a BW movie. As it is, they didn't rush. even if they make it after 2019, it still shows that they didn't rush so perhaps they have data showing that Twitter questions about the movie =/= GA interest. or something. And yes, unbelievable is a big factor. When it's too damn obvious when your stunt double takes over, it's a problem. Some actors blend with theirs, some don't at all. 

Gina Carano is not a big action star. She is more believable than any action actress in history. Your argument falls apart when you realize angelina jolie is the biggest action heroine of recent times and not gina carano or ronda rousey.

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

Gina Carano is not a big action star. She is more believable than any action actress in history. Your argument falls apart when you realize angelina jolie is the biggest action heroine of recent times and not gina carano or ronda rousey.

My argument doesn't fall apart. Looks isn't automatic success but it helps. Also, Angelina looked buff enough in her action hits. It's later that she got too skinny. But the woman is charisma incarnated. 

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Well, if BW was so popular than MCu would surely make a BW movie. As it is, they didn't rush. even if they make it after 2019, it still shows that they didn't rush so perhaps they have data showing that Twitter questions about the movie =/= GA interest. or something. And yes, unbelievable is a big factor.

Considering Brie Larson is getting an MCU movie I'm not sure how much that argumentation hold scrutiny (most would bet on Johansson getting in a fight with Larson I think).

In general using movie project that require individual to say yes to judge a studio intention is also misleading (we don't know if post Ike MCU didn't try to convince Johansson to make one, if they did try 2/3 development project and nothing good came out or would have depending on schedule).

• Thanks 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

My argument doesn't fall apart. Looks isn't automatic success. Also, Angelina looked buff enough in her action hits. It's later that she got too skinny. But the woman is charisma incarnated. 

So, aa was right. You are just projecting your opinion on SJ. AJ never looked buff in her life. Brie didn't had any charisma in King Kong yet CM will be a success. Oh, and chris evans didn't made a hit outside of CA movies. Is he a action star for you? Or chris hemsworth, RDJ, cavill?

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

So, aa was right. You are just projecting your opinion on SJ. AJ never looked buff in her life. Brie didn't had any charisma in King Kong yet CM will be a success. Oh, and chris evans didn't made a hit outside of CA movies. Is he a action star for you? Or chris hemsworth, RDJ, cavill?

You are projecting more than I am. :)

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Plus, Paul Rudd isn't asking a totally undeserved pricetag. wasn't she paid 17M for GitS?

I would not use rumors salary too much, but I doubt it was undeserved.

Would have to ask them for sure, but I suspect they achieved nice presales like those:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinese-ticketing-service-weying-takes-stake-paramounts-ghost-shell-987261

The deal gives Weying a 10 percent share of global ticket revenue, along with a logo in the film's end credits.

We would need to know for how much they sold 10% of the movie gross, how many market/investor got in and how less they would have got with an unknown actress to know if she was worth it, but sometime those star paid for themselve before the movie started to shoot (studio got enough co-investor/market sold because of them to make the project much less risky even with their added salary).