kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 19.4 M FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 12 M HOW TO BE LATIN LOVER | 10.1 M BAAHUBALI II | 9.3 M THE CIRCLE

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Does someone know why so many Marvel movie have a release in the US after a long list of oversea market ?

Best strategy piracy wise or something, what could it be?

I think the main reason is create hype and also in some case take advantage of local holidays, it's why Bond is usually release in the UK and other markets a week or two earlier. Illumination released Pets and Sing earlier than the US as well in some markets and Disney released Zootopia a month earlier too in many places which is very rare for Disney. 

Ant-Man and Guardians 1 are the only Marvel films in recent years to not get early release although those were day and date. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, franfar said:

Except for almost all of them? 

Chef was really good

Chef may have been the R-rated movie that did the least to deserve its R-rating I've ever seen.

It was basically rated-R for "adult situations", but instead of the usual sex and violence, it was stuff like discussions of health insurance and the emotional fall-out of going through a divorce. So, an R-rating for boring subject material, except it wasn't boring.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Chef may have been the R-rated movie that did the least to deserve its R-rating I've ever seen.

It was basically rated-R for "adult situations", but instead of the usual sex and violence, it was stuff like discussions of health insurance and the emotional fall-out of going through a divorce. So, an R-rating for boring subject material, except it wasn't boring.

It was rated R? LOL, maybe it was the profanity? It's been a while, I don't remember that well

If it were up to me, maybe PG-13

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, franfar said:

It was rated R? LOL, maybe it was the profanity? It's been a while, I don't remember that well

If it were up to me, maybe PG-13

Yeah, seriously. I watched it with my wife and we loved it so much that she wanted to take our older daughter (who was like 10). Neither of us batted an eye at the idea of her seeing it. As my wife was looking into getting tickets, she was like "WTF? Chef was rated "R"? Seriously?" Until then, I wouldn't have guessed it was rated R at all and that rating was a topic of amused conversation for some time. My wife still totally took our older daughter to see it, and everyone thought it was great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

Does someone know why so many Marvel movie have a release in the US after a long list of oversea market ?

Best strategy piracy wise or something, what could it be?

Actually, coming out early OS just means a cam copy gets on line even earlier. 

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

45 F-words according to kids-in-mind. That'll be more than enough by MPAA standards

Huh. I went to check on My Cousin Vinny as a counter example, and realized that IT is rated R as well.

I'm no prude, and I'm generally aware of the rating rules, but every once in a while it still strikes me how bizarre it is that a movie can kill hundreds of people and have pretty strongly suggested sex and have it still be PG-13. But solid double-digit curse words will get you an R.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

B-.

A competent or mildly interesting effort that will usually feature at least five worthwhile moments?

or 

an admirable effort that aficionados of the genre will probably find quite watchable?

or

remarkable one way or another, yet also flirts with the humdrum or the half-assed?

:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

Actually, coming out early OS just means a cam copy gets on line even earlier. 

Yes the theory here being that it would hurt the movie more in the developing world than in the US, it is a really weak theory I just cannot think of any other.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wrath said:

Yeah, seriously. I watched it with my wife and we loved it so much that she wanted to take our older daughter (who was like 10). Neither of us batted an eye at the idea of her seeing it. As my wife was looking into getting tickets, she was like "WTF? Chef was rated "R"? Seriously?" Until then, I wouldn't have guessed it was rated R at all and that rating was a topic of amused conversation for some time. My wife still totally took our older daughter to see it, and everyone thought it was great.

It was only rated M for Mature Audiences here. Basically if they could a 5 year was free to buy a ticket and see it. 

2 hours ago, Wrath said:

Huh. I went to check on My Cousin Vinny as a counter example, and realized that IT is rated R as well.

I'm no prude, and I'm generally aware of the rating rules, but every once in a while it still strikes me how bizarre it is that a movie can kill hundreds of people and have pretty strongly suggested sex and have it still be PG-13. But solid double-digit curse words will get you an R.

The MPAA's pretty inconsistent about their rule & they also tend to be really strict regarding certain things. It's been a big issue of the rating system for years now.