kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 19.4 M FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 12 M HOW TO BE LATIN LOVER | 10.1 M BAAHUBALI II | 9.3 M THE CIRCLE

It'd be hilarious if The Circle actually finished last in between all the new openers. It's within the realm of possibility.

And for the record, Baahubali 2 on Thursday previews alone has done almost as much as the original on OW. Either insane frontloadedness or truly the showing up of an audience that is getting their own Force Awakens (according to some).

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Circle probably isn't even gonna make $20M in total.

Amazing considering it stars Emma Watson and Tom Hanks. Whatever happened to watching a film for the actors.

Fortunately it's prod budget is only 18m.

OS could be decent I guess.

Edited by a2knet

3 hours ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Distributor is Great India Films and from what I see, this is their first shot. They probably flubbed it

If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if they left about 1.5 million on the table from Canada.  Especially in Toronto, this movie would have been sold out all weekend.

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Amazing considering it stars Emma Watson and Tom Hanks. Whatever happened to watching a film for the actors.

All the starpower in the world doesn't matter when the film in question doesn't look very appealing.

• Like 7

Just now, filmlover said:

All the starpower in the world doesn't matter when the film in question doesn't look very appealing.

True. We have seen that with Mortdecai, Transcendence, Inferno, etc.

The Circle's trailer was pretty boring imo even if the plot was modern and contemporary.

Wouldn't shell out money for the big screen.

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Both stars do not seem to be pushing it as much as they could thought, quick google show me no late night show or much of anything with Hanks promoting the movie, making their presence not as effective as it could be.

Maybe they are not getting participation profit or something like that.

In 2016, movie with a release between 2000 and 3500 theater opened in average at 13.4m, median 11.2m, stars in a average movie can open it at 20m (Like Denzel always achieve to do, the only one being able to do so) but one with below mediocre review it will be hard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hades said:

Box office draw Emma Watson.....

In the right role, she obviously is.  

You can take any of today's so called draws, they are only a draw in something that fits their image.  Gone are the days when you could put Julia Roberts in any film and she would pack them in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hades said:

Box office draw Emma Watson.....

Next weekend BATB and Circle could be neck and neck. I know those two movies shouldn't be compared but it's fun.