kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 19.4 M FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 12 M HOW TO BE LATIN LOVER | 10.1 M BAAHUBALI II | 9.3 M THE CIRCLE

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They have a very good idea from prior releases which locations the film will play best in.  The same reason Indies are targeted for certain markets and usually drastically shed PTA as they expand.

I doubt that, the movie is rated as unrated on MPAA....

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

And it's not even Bollywood. It's a Tollywood (Telugu) film.

indian-film-industry-4-728.jpg?cb=131423

Also, how awesome is it that there's a Sandalwood film industry? :lol:

TBH I'm not aware of Telugu as much as Hindi and Tamil. 

Predictions for next weekend:

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: 140M

Fate of the Furious: 8.7M

How to be a Latin Lover: 8M

The Boss Baby: 5.7M

Beauty and the Beast: 4M

The Circle: 3.7M

Baahubali: 3M

Gifted: 2.1M

Going in Style: 2M

Smurfs: The Lost Village: 1.8M

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Very.  I bet it smells great. :lol:

Hey, that's my state you are talking about. Wish it had more exposure in South India, the Kannada film industry is only in state, no major crossover.

• Like 2

I'm fascinated by the Indian film industry and box office because considering it has a similar population to China but yet it's not an important market. I wonder if it's do with prices being much cheaper or is it other factors?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm fascinated by the Indian film industry and box office because considering it has a similar population to China but yet it's not an important market. I wonder if it's do with prices being much cheaper or is it other factors?

tickets are significantly cheaper. Average ticket must be $2 I think. Also from wrathofhan's post there are so many local movies that BO is spread around. So we dont see mega grossers like china. Plus number of screens in India would be lot less than China which has 45K screens(more than even domestic !!!). I will let @grim22 or @Fake chime in on how many screens india has.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

A very fragmented film market. Bahubali is the first pan India hit in quite a while.

Each movie industry within India is an insular entity with its own stars and directors etc. The languages are different enough that no one person can crossover to all industries due to the language barrier which is why we see remakes of movies between industries all the time.

Single screens still dominate and ticket prices are way low (10-20 rupees or 5-10 cents) in rural areas. Also, Hollywood is too foreign for rural consumers who go more for steeped in Indian culture movies.

• Like 9

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

tickets are significantly cheaper. Average ticket must be $2 I think. Also from wrathofhan's post there are so many local movies that BO is spread around. So we dont see mega grossers like china. Plus number of screens in India would be lot less than China which has 45K screens(more than even domestic !!!). I will let @grim22 or @Fake chime in on how many screens india has.

I assume India hasn't seen the rise of IMAX and huge multiplexes.

Just now, grim22 said:

A very fragmented film market. Bahubali is the first pan India hit in quite a while.

Each movie industry within India is an insular entity with its own stars and directors etc. The languages are different enough that no one person can crossover to all industries due to the language barrier which is why we see remakes of movies between industries all the time.

Single screens still dominate and ticket prices are way low (10-20 rupees or 5-10 cents) in rural areas. Also, Hollywood is too foreign for rural consumers who go more for steeped in Indian culture movies.

Thanks Grim. Does cinema admissions keep growing every year or is it shrinking like US or many parts of europe/australia.

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Thanks Grim. Does cinema admissions keep growing every year or is it shrinking like US or many parts of europe/australia.

Last year it fell, mainly because a lot of actors took the year off or did more experimental movies. It is still a huge star driven market. This year is up again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I find it interesting single screens still dominate, the big picture palaces don't exist anymore in most countries with one or two exceptions due to the rise of the multiplex. 

I know some Hollywood films can break out like The Jungle Book or Star Wars but not to the scale of the local films.

23 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I assume India hasn't seen the rise of IMAX and huge multiplexes.

Last time I went to India a few years back, they had multiplexes in the bigger cities. E.g. Delhi, Bombay, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

What purpose would it being PG serve though? That implies it's a movie aimed at a family audience, and there's nothing kid friendly about Arrival even if it isn't "inappropriate" for them. 

PG's reputation as being only "for families" is really starting to piss me off.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I find it interesting single screens still dominate, the big picture palaces don't exist anymore in most countries with one or two exceptions due to the rise of the multiplex. 

I know some Hollywood films can break out like The Jungle Book or Star Wars but not to the scale of the local films.

Star Wars flopped in India. It isn't a big franchise in the country.

• Like 1