kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 19.4 M FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 12 M HOW TO BE LATIN LOVER | 10.1 M BAAHUBALI II | 9.3 M THE CIRCLE

Good weekend overall - some strong Saturdays and Sunday is very reasonable for most films.

Everything gets semi-killed next weekend, however with only 1 new film - big as it may be there will be some wiggle room for good holds.

I hope BatB doesn't drop with actuals again. That movie has done and is still doing great but boy the obstacles it has to overcome! OS fight to stay ahead of F8 and maybe pass Frozen. Domestic fight to hit 500M. It's quite a rollercoaster. 

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm fascinated by the Indian film industry and box office because considering it has a similar population to China but yet it's not an important market. I wonder if it's do with prices being much cheaper or is it other factors?

The level of income is vastly different (income per capita in China is almost 300% what it is in India, by household almost double), also in China spend a lot of their income in tickets, in that is a part why the china box office grow stopped immediately when the China economy stopped to explode, there was not much room to grow in term of popularity, it will grow again only if wage goes up significantly.

1387217819-6172.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, trifle said:

I hadn't realized theaters had removed their projectors entirely. I hope that isn't true in the US, since Aronofsky shot mother! almost entirely in 35mm.

It is mostly in 16mm like Black Swan I think.

The world is now mostly digital (95% of the world screen were digital in 2016 according to the MPAA vs 93% in 2015).

US/Canada had 872 screens that were still analog in 2016 according to the MPAA (on a 43531 screen total), 1481 in Europe, 6506 in Asia. Almost 9000 analog screen around the world.

Big movies still had a good expense in prints in 2014, Amazing Spider-man 2 spent almost 30 million on movies prints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I hope BatB doesn't drop with actuals again. That movie has done and is still doing great but boy the obstacles it has to overcome! OS fight to stay ahead of F8 and maybe pass Frozen. Domestic fight to hit 500M. It's quite a rollercoaster. 

I doubt it'll drop. Disney is estimating a steeper Sunday drop (-48.3%) than the rest of the top 10, unlike the previous weekends.  In fact I think it could rise with actual.  

Amazing to see a movie from India up there.  I asked a friend what she knew about it and she laughed that she never even heard of it.  But she's from Delhi so I guess the audience is very regional based.

I love how boxofficepro references us in their weekend Boxoffice summary

http://pro.boxoffice.com/studio-weekend-estimates-fate-furious-crosses-1b-globally-leads-third-weekend-w-19-3m-baahubali-2-conclusion-posts-largest-u-s-bollywood-debu/

"To put that into perspective, the highest that any user predicted for the title on the prediction website Box Office Theory was $7.9 million"

• Like 2

Just now, lilmac said:

I love how boxofficepro references us in their weekend Boxoffice summary

http://pro.boxoffice.com/studio-weekend-estimates-fate-furious-crosses-1b-globally-leads-third-weekend-w-19-3m-baahubali-2-conclusion-posts-largest-u-s-bollywood-debu/

"To put that into perspective, the highest that any user predicted for the title on the prediction website Box Office Theory was $7.9 million"

I remember when they referenced my Split prediction :cloud9: 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, trifle said:

I hadn't realized theaters had removed their projectors entirely. I hope that isn't true in the US, since Aronofsky shot mother! almost entirely in 35mm.

2 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

It is not true in the US.

Some theaters (usually premium ones) have kept their film projection systems but most have ditched them entirely and switched over to DCPs only.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

I think this is a good example of how the PG rating has been so neglected its meaning has been corrupted and altered. A PG doesn't imply anything other than there's not a lot of inappropriate content. HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER is PG. THE RIGHT STUFF is PG. Neither of those were "aimed at a family audience". But nowadays since everything is PG-13 the assumption is that PG should just be for kiddies. 

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

PG's reputation as being only "for families" is really starting to piss me off.

Hidden Figures is a recent PG rated film that wasn't a "kids' movie" per se, sure there could have been more language or racial epithets and not been untrue to life either but the latter would have undercut the movie's point about how prejudice can be more covert. There is more than one approach to Civil Rights on Film than Mississippi Burning.

In the 2000s, The Rookie was actually rated G, it was surprising they didn't throw in one "damn" or something bump it up to a PG for mild language.

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

Wow, just got a TV spot for The Circle which quotes a lot of publications - but not reviews. Instead it is "Watch the movie Rolling Stone calls one of the most anticipated of the year"

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

They almost all did - that's the joke.  This isn't an ad for reviews but for the once upon a time when these mags and papers were anticipating it might be good - you know - before they actually watched it. :lol:

It isn't technically a lie, the movie did make a bunch of lists about spring movies, still I applaud the hustle of STX with that ad, you do what you gotta do when the studio asks you to sell a lemon. I was wondering why the ads for The Circle were so lifeless, plenty of so-so movies have managed to have good trailers, then I saw it. The final push in the last two weeks or so tried making it seem like a 2010s version of The Net, if it had been sold that way from Trailer #1, it may have gotten a mid-teens opening but an even worse Cinemascore I suspect. Is there an F-? :lol:

The Net for the uninitiated:

Unless The Circle comes in WAY over estimates, The Net had a higher opening weekend in 1995!

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Some theaters (usually premium ones) have kept their film projection systems but most have ditched them entirely and switched over to DCPs only.

There's only two theaters with 35mm projectors right now in Barcelona, and indeed they sell a premium experience/film buff nostalgia. One of them is doing really well, to be frank, and it's my favorite place to watch movies. Seeing Mad Max Fury Road there was an absolute treat.

DCP is just too practical. The recession was bad enough in Spain, and many theaters closed doors, but I can't imagine what would have happened if distributors/theaters also had to shoulder the costs of producing and operating prints. The recession probably accelerated the move to digital in order to reduce operating costs.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm fascinated by the Indian film industry and box office because considering it has a similar population to China but yet it's not an important market. I wonder if it's do with prices being much cheaper or is it other factors?

1. China is on a wholly different economic level compared to India. Chinese GDP is at almost $12T, while India's is at a bit less than $2.5T. On a per capita basis, China is at $8100 (2016) while India is at less than a fourth than that, at $1700. 

2. India has its own long-established film industry and its audiences are largely content with their local production, they are less receptive to Hollywood movies than the Chinese. 

Edited by PPZVGOS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tele Came Back said:

Have you ever been to the Cinerama in Seattle? 

My favorite cinema experience in the US and they are digital I think.