kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 19.4 M FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 12 M HOW TO BE LATIN LOVER | 10.1 M BAAHUBALI II | 9.3 M THE CIRCLE

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

:ph34r: 

Well true Dicaprio will not do a 18m non studio movie from a director of that track record. Someone in is position and ambition will do movies with a chance of being the best movie of the year, with the best available director/producers, etc.. And that track record of great movie is the reason of is success.

That a big reason why it is hard to isolate the star powers factor, a large part of the difference come from having access to the best projects. That Dicaprio scenario in that Circle movie made like it was made and released like it is released, is pure fiction and would have never happened.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

They picked movies that are suitable to their image. In other words Leonardo DiCaprio is not going to take on the Tom Hanks role in the circle. Denzel Washington is not going to take on a role in Independence Day Resurgence. They pick movies that are good for them.

Marketing study show that audience prefer Denzel playing the protector of weaker people (a role he will often rely on from time to time), but he still opened Training Day over 20m, Denzel broadening is accepted image in cinema is maybe one of the difference with Will Smith that took a very long time before playing a non charismatic hero/good guy and don't seem to be able to sell anything else.

• Like 3

Meanwhile, in India, Bahubali 2 just outright decimated the old OD record. The old one across all languages was about 40-45 Crore depending on the calculation. Bahubali 2 will be 108 Crore minimum with chances of 115-120Crore when the day ends. Pretty much a threefold increase. 

• Like 13

50 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

They are box office draws in right conditions. I think there is only one universal star i.e; denzel.

You all forget about The Rock. He's as big as Denzel in US and even bigger overseas. He's bigger than DiCaprio because DiCaprio depends on reviews and awards season, and The Rock can make a big opening no matter of reviews. He's the highest paid actor for a reason.

Edited by Firepower

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

You all forget about The Rock. He's as big as Denzel in US and even bigger overseas. He's bigger than DiCaprio because DiCaprio depends on reviews and awards season, and The Rock can make a big opening no matter of reviews. He's the highest paid actor for a reason.

Rock is only good for commercial entertainment film. That is why he don't do oscar or drama movies. If you want to talk about biggest stars in right condition that would be rdj in action comedy blockbuster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

In the right role, she obviously is.  

You can take any of today's so called draws, they are only a draw in something that fits their image.  Gone are the days when you could put Julia Roberts in any film and she would pack them in.

I'm a huge HP fan and i didn't watch the movies for any cast member,i did watch them for the books.Same with BATB..it's Disney and the original is amazing.

44 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Meanwhile, in India, Bahubali 2 just outright decimated the old OD record. The old one across all languages was about 40-45 Crore depending on the calculation. Bahubali 2 will be 108 Crore minimum with chances of 115-120Crore when the day ends. Pretty much a threefold increase. 

How does that translate to USD?

37 minutes ago, Firepower said:

We were talking about universal draw, put Dwayne Johnson outside an action/comedy movie and he is not bigger than Denzel/DiCaprio. He is certainly bigger oversea than Denzel when he is in is element you are right for that.

If we go for people that are a draw in the right genre there is a long list, Kevin Hart in a comedy being a really big one.

DiCaprio usually stars in good movies based on best selling books. Put him in a bad, original movie and let's see how it does.

Also all these A listers are brands. If you star in enough shit movies, people start losing the trust they've invested in you. You know when you go to a Leo movie, it will be very good. Awards hype doesn't hurt either. Most DiCaprio movies were released during inflated december and also benefited from Oscars attention

2 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

You got baited by the PBO forecast, which they corrected today :/

Unfortunately yea. I also thought the low theatre count and little buzz wouldn't help either. I had no idea this could be another Instructions not Included, as I heard way more buzz around that film before release despite definitely not being part of the target audience.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alli said:

DiCaprio usually stars in good movies based on best selling books. Put him in a bad, original movie and let's see how it does.

This. Not exactly based only on books, but he stars in the safest bets, movies with the biggest directors in Hollywood with Oscar potential.

Edited by Firepower

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Wat

I stop following BWood BO for like 2 months...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Man i am so screwed, I didn't even realise Baahubali 2 was releasing this week, does this mean it is going to open at #2 with less 500 theaters?!

It will be frontloaded to Thursday and Friday, if it makes 4M on Thursday plus Friday, the weekend will probably only be 7M or so unless families have made plans to go watch it on Saturday. It is probably the most hyped Indian movie in quite some time, so this opening was kind of expected.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

This talk about who is a movie star is insane.

The only answer is Leo.

Denzel Washington, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and Dwayne Johnson are not movie star ?