kayumanggi

TAG | 06.15.18 | Warner Brothers | Jeremy Renner, Ed Helms, Hannibal Buress

“Keep in mind this is a man who’s done a hundred ‘Avengers’ movies and been fine,” Hamm joked. “And he does a movie about playing tag… both arms, like firewood, just snapped like a matchstick.”

Lmao. Bless you Hamm.

• Like 6

Damn, Campea isn't usually easy on comedies I don't think. So 2018 is... 3/3 for studio comedies this year?

Also, upon rethinking, Game Night was definitely a better movie than Blockers. Even though I laughed a lot more in Blockers. 

On 6/5/2018 at 5:59 PM, DAJK said:

Damn, Campea isn't usually easy on comedies I don't think. So 2018 is... 3/3 for studio comedies this year?

Also, upon rethinking, Game Night was definitely a better movie than Blockers. Even though I laughed a lot more in Blockers. 

Game Night was more of a thriller with laughs than a full on comedy.

61 on Metacritic, 66% on RT. Not quite Game Night or Blockers, but still very solid for a mainstream comedy.

2017 had eight in the red on MC, and so far 2018’s only one is Action Point. This has been a great year for comedy. Even the duds (Gringo, Life of the Party, I Feel Pretty, Overboard) are still mostly decent.

As far as these typical Warner Bros. R-rated summer comedies go, this is one of their most inventive ones yet. That being said, it still falls under the same trappings of the bunch when it comes to humor.

“Tag” has more style than solid script, but manages to (I can’t believe I’m saying this) use its artistry to be creative. Also THERE IS A SCRIPT! Thankfully this is not one of those comedies that try to float by doing with nothing but ad-libbing. The majority of the time, when the team is playing tag, director Jeff Tomsic successfully makes the viewer a part of the fun where shots are constructed to follow whoever is either “it” or being chased from being “it”. 

FULL REVIEW: https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//tag-review

• Like 1