That One Girl

Isn't It Romantic | Feb. 14 2019 | Warner/New Line | Rebel Wilson

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That's only thing she is capable of doing. She had a big film this year Bharat starring Salman Khan but she "apparently" dumped it for Cowboy Ninja Viking, which is "apparently" delayed. Basically it's sunset for her. 

The announcement of her in talks to join Cowboy Ninja Viking always seemed fishy to me. It was too conveniently timed around the engagement reports.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 11:19 AM, TombRaider said:

as someone said before, strange that this movie, which looks pretty original and like it could have a 45-50m gross OS (I feel pretty vibes), is being thrown to netflix

I would imagine it is not like STX didn't sold I feel pretty to the biggest bidders exactly like Warner did for this:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=ifeelpretty.htm&sort=studio&order=ASC&p=.htm

Our brain still make some big difference between Netflix versus an other buyer on a market, but for the sellers not sure if there is much if any difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

budget is 31m. does anyone know how much netflix paid for rights?

Probably the usual amount for films like this. I wouldn't imagine it to be much. I think this has become standard practice for countries outside the US and Canada where romantic comedies aren't nearly as prevalent.

1 hour ago, TombRaider said:

budget is 31m. does anyone know how much netflix paid for rights?

I imagine that will be never known.

To give some idea of what it could look like.

A movie like Here Comes the Boom:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $45,290,318    62.0%
Foreign:  $27,809,854    38.0%

Worldwide:  $73,100,172  

Could be a somewhat comparable in term of intl prospect ?

That did in intl revenues:

INTL HOME ENT REVENUE 7,083

INTL HOME ENT PPV REVENUE 1,861

INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION REVENUE 18,900

To get those revenues they needed to spend 3.1m more in theatrical than their rental and 3m spent in home ent releasing cost. for about 21m in profits.

I imagine a 14-16m of certain and in advance money with 0 risk would be quite interesting for a studio.

For some example, the movie Robocop sold is UK and Germany market for 13.5M, it did 13.33M and 5.17M there and those are strong market post theatrical I think for studios with good retention rate.

First Hunger Games sold everything (including Canada) except USA/UK for a rumored 60m, it did 250m but obviously an overperformer.

American Hustles pre-sold a lot if not everything outside the USA/Mexico/Brasil for about 30-35M.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2019 at 9:03 PM, TombRaider said:

crazy how pretty much everyone in bridesmaids (rebel, melissa, rose byrne) ended being bigger than the lead (kristen wiig)

The only one in that cast who ended up bigger than Wiig was Melissa (a bonafide box office draw/movie star). Neither Rose nor Rebel are "big"'; they both work regularly, but neither one is a name that can be put next to McCarthy as far as drawing audiences. Even Isn't It Romantic, which to me looked like the kind of film that would absolutely make a killing on OW and make Rebel a big star failed to open to spectacular numbers. I feel that Wiig is not a huge movie star because seems to be more interested in doing smaller work in niche-y films (mother!, The Skeleton Twins, Welcome to Me, Downsizing, etc.) than in taking on lead roles in blockbusters or high concept comedies. I was very surprised that she actually signed on for the Ghostbusters (2016) and Wonder Woman 1984...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

The only one in that cast who ended up bigger than Wiig was Melissa (a bonafide box office draw/movie star). Neither Rose nor Rebel are "big"'; they both work regularly, but neither one is a name that can be put next to McCarthy as far as drawing audiences. Even Isn't It Romantic, which to me looked like the kind of film that would absolutely make a killing on OW and make Rebel a big star failed to open to spectacular numbers. I feel that Wiig is not a huge movie star because seems to be more interested in doing smaller work in niche-y films (mother!, The Skeleton Twins, Welcome to Me, Downsizing, etc.) than in taking on lead roles in blockbusters or high concept comedies. I was very surprised that she actually signed on for the Ghostbusters (2016) and Wonder Woman 1984...

Well rebel is headlining a mainstream movie that's doing well enough, is part of a big franchise and rose is having success with movies like nightbors, insidious or instant family

kristen (who i love) has bombed with almost everything