kayumanggi

US | 03.22.2019 | Universal | 13th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

50 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I’m really curious to see how audiences respond - this movie is WEIRD.

It’s great weird in my opinion, but it’s really gonna rub some people the wrong way.

It's expected that some audiences are going to walk into this movie wanting a slasher film about doppelgangers, it's obviously gonna be more than that.

2 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

It’s great weird in my opinion, but it’s really gonna rub some people the wrong way.

Got that same vibe reading blurbs. Sounds like my kind of jam but something that will not have legs. Or, should I say, the poor legs that most horrid films have... Still will open huge and make big money.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

2 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Is it batshit insane? Any idea about what kind of CinemaScore can it get? Thanks

2 hours ago, Galactic Specter said:

It's expected that some audiences are going to walk into this movie wanting a slasher film about doppelgangers, it's obviously gonna be more than that.

If some people are walking in JUST expecting that then they need to watch Get Out again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Galactic Specter said:

Well, that's basically what the trailer sells ( a family gets attacked by their own doppelgangers ).

So, if it's not that, then it's going to be a problem. Sure, this is a Jordan Peele's movie, so it's not goona be simple, but the main idea has to be what's sold by the trailer. Audiences don't like being tricked into watching something that doesn't end up being another thing.

It Comes At Night had this problem. Trailer sells a movie that doesn't happen like the trailer sells you. I don't know, i'm curious about Us, but I'm not crazy about it. 

The trailer is selling the movie, but it's just an aspect of the movie. It's a bigger, crazier flick than the marketing is letting on.

I also thought it was genuinely scary. The score is excellent.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 3

I imagine it will do very good but I don't love horror films, even critically acclaimed ones. My wife loathes them and not a chance I would ever let my kid see it. Potential is limited for several reasons but I bet it's great for that genre. Get out was so creepy for me but good nonetheless. I imagine US would be the same.

10 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Get Out was also weird and unvconventional and audiences loved it. If pace is good and characters are relatable, it should receive audiences approval

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Doesn't change the little size of the numbers.

13M OW and 44M DOM for a 9M-budget A24 indie horror with presumably horrible general audience word of mouth isn't what I'd call "little". Better than a lot of January mainstream horrors, in example. Maybe compared to Blumhouse movies or New Line horror releases, but not in its own spectrum.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

I don't think that Us is sold as just a slasher with doppelgangers. everyone is asking what they are and reviews say the movie provides the answer but that the answer may not be to everyone's taste. some think it jumps the shark, some think it's awesome. I don't think there will be such division to sink the movie after its OW. sounds like a watercooler discussion movie to me., people go see it so they can talk about it. I mean, Inception was one of the weirdest shit in mainstream and people were flocking to it cause they wanted to be included in the conversation. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I've read comparisons to Cronenberg - gave my aging heart a flutter - but likely won't be helpful to legs. Cronenberg's a lot of a lot of things none of which are successful at the box office.

The Fly was a hit in its time.

When is the last time a director has had their first two films be received like this? I'm still in a mild state of shock that the guy I used to find so boring on MadTV has turned into this. I mean, damn. 

And yeah, not really buying the idea that audiences are gonna go into this one expecting anything conventional. Unless they have no clue it's the Get Out guy, but if they didn't it likely wouldn't open big. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 1