kayumanggi

US | 03.22.2019 | Universal | 13th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

LMAO! I accidentally clicked on US Politics thread :slaphead: thinking I was clicking on US thread and entered a literal Twilight zone. so comments on the page are, like, she made an anti-Semitic comment and I'm like, Wut? Lupita? NOOOOO! Wait, that can't be real! Hold on. Ah, wrong thread. :hahaha:

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LMAO! I accidentally clicked on US Politics thread :slaphead: thinking I was clicking on US thread and entered a literal Twilight zone. so comments on the page are, like, she made an anti-Semitic comment and I'm like, Wut? Lupita? NOOOOO! Wait, that can't be real! Hold on. Ah, wrong thread. :hahaha:

Please I hope not, or else this thread will blow past 100 pages by now lol 

6 hours ago, weyweywey said:

I would love to see his take on an iconic black character like STORM. If they ever decide to give Storm her own solo film. I feel that the social tensions in the world of the X-men could work well with his style. 

I think his style works well with original material and not another movie from a franchise that has to many movies

I'm expecting the Academy to return to their normal behavior with horror movies with this one. They gave Jordan Peele (and horror) that one year, now... eeeeh, for a little while until something else huge and relevant comes out.

47 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably not. This looks and sounds like it's much closer to a "traditional" horror film than Get Out was, and therefore not really the Academy's cup of tea.

A Quiet Place was close to getting in a few cats, I reckon Peele’s name brand would be enough to push US into BP.

3 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Hopefully this will fix Blumhouse’s slump this year, both Glass and Happy Death Day 2U underperformed, both where expected to do much bigger.

Glass did plenty well enough that I don't think we can say they're in a slump. C'mon now...

The big issue when it comes to Best Picture is how stacked Universal is in terms of contenders. 1917, Cats, Queen & Slim. Even Yesterday's got a shot in the Golden Globes. Even if one or two of them disappoint, I don't really see Universal giving Us that much of a push in BP, especially since, as an example, Chazelle and Jenkins' follow-ups to their award-winning hits didn't get Best Picture noms (Talking about First Man, not La La Land. Don't bother me). Lupita might get a Best Actress nom though

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 1

Agreed, I think that at least atm before we see how the movie does at the boxoffice (will be a hit but whether too big to ignore in Dec/Jan or just big remains to be seen) Lupita is the best shot cause her reviews are out of this world. Plus playing dual character isn't something they nominated in a long time if my memory's correct.

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Hopefully this will fix Blumhouse’s slump this year, both Glass and Happy Death Day 2U underperformed, both where expected to do much bigger.

Yeah $245M on a $20M budget and $60M on a $9M budget, god what disasters they'll probably be announcing bankruptcy any day now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Think boxofficerules isn't trying to paint these as flops, but movies that arguably disappointed or underperformed relative to expectations, both here on BOT and in the industry. Obviously Glass and HDD2U are both financially successful, but considering expectations, buzz, and tracking, it's arguable they should have made more.

21 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

The big issue when it comes to Best Picture is how stacked Universal is in terms of contenders. 1917, Cats, Queen & Slim. Even Yesterday's got a shot in the Golden Globes. Even if one or two of them disappoint, I don't really see Universal giving Us that much of a push in BP, especially since, as an example, Chazelle and Jenkins' follow-ups to their award-winning hits didn't get Best Picture noms (Talking about First Man, not La La Land. Don't bother me). Lupita might get a Best Actress nom though

Us is a higher profile film and a safer bet than all of those, especially Cats which id say has a strong probability of being straight up trash.

• Like 1