kayumanggi

US | 03.22.2019 | Universal | 13th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

First negative review on RT (behind a paywall, but from the Financial Times).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/us_2019/reviews/

I'm trying to figure out what language that review is written in....

Us seems merely the sum of the first film's critical effluent and influent, wish-determining the new movie's monody of genre and monotony of tone in the name of a specious homogeneity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

My social groups are by no means reflective of the movie going public, but just going on anecdotal evidence this has way, way, way more hype than say.....Halloween. And the presales are putting it pretty close to the same level as that too. I said 75m+ when the first trailer dropped and I'm sticking to it. Already got my tickets for Thursday night, a rare night off for me! 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

First negative review on RT (behind a paywall, but from the Financial Times).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/us_2019/reviews/

Just use Outline to get rid of the paywall. Copy and paste the link on the Outline and it'll unlock the page.

The full review:

• Jordan Peele's 'Us' is a politically impeccable allegory - but it's no 'Get Out'.
  • There is such a thing as zombie careerism and I pray, after seeing Us, that Jordan Peele has not succumbed to it.
  • After the triumph of Get Out - that widely feted and genuinely fabulous exercise in sociopolitically literate Grand Guignol - Peele has shown worrying signs that he believes those reviewers who, while lauding the film, did much lordy-lordy-ing about its supposed genre confusions.
  • Now Peele gives us something close to a zombie movie homaging zombie cinema.
  • The zombie reviewers have seen the Peele future and it works.
  • It's amazing how, in retrospect, Get Out seemed pure Jordan Peele, for all its own invocations.
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Just use Outline to get rid of the paywall. Copy and paste the link on the Outline and it'll unlock the page.

The full review:

• Jordan Peele's 'Us' is a politically impeccable allegory - but it's no 'Get Out'.
  • There is such a thing as zombie careerism and I pray, after seeing Us, that Jordan Peele has not succumbed to it.
  • After the triumph of Get Out - that widely feted and genuinely fabulous exercise in sociopolitically literate Grand Guignol - Peele has shown worrying signs that he believes those reviewers who, while lauding the film, did much lordy-lordy-ing about its supposed genre confusions.
  • Now Peele gives us something close to a zombie movie homaging zombie cinema.
  • The zombie reviewers have seen the Peele future and it works.
  • It's amazing how, in retrospect, Get Out seemed pure Jordan Peele, for all its own invocations.

I'm not very familiar with how reviews are written, but is this typical?   It barely talks about the movie and is mostly focusing on external stuff.  

I don't want to go around saying 60 or 70 or 80 is the FLOOR because really, we still don't know how this will do until at least Thursday figures come in, but certainly those presales indicate that #s that high are definitely possible.

Might see this for a Friday matinee, but friend of mine I think wants to see it and he'll be pissed if I go without him, so I may have to wait until Sunday matinee. 

1 hour ago, langer said:

I'm not very familiar with how reviews are written, but is this typical?   It barely talks about the movie and is mostly focusing on external stuff.  

It's a weird review. I thought it was trolling at first, but it seems to be the real deal.

This is the full text that was hidden behind the paywall. 

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

It's a weird review. I thought it was trolling at first, but it seems to be the real deal.

This is the full text that was hidden behind the paywall. 

The guy clearly needs to have the plum taken out of his mouth and shoved up his backside.

2 hours ago, langer said:

In reviews it is not that common, in film critic it is extremely common, the role of the critic being to put a work in the context of the filmmaker body of work and it's time.

I just read the whole synopsis ( with spoilers ). It seems uh, weird. Yeah, weird in a way.

Now I get the comments about how the end might spli some people. The third act really takes a different turn. 

It also seems they don't explain a lot of things. I'm curious about it. 

30 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I just read the whole synopsis ( with spoilers ). It seems uh, weird. Yeah, weird in a way.

Now I get the comments about how the end might spli some people. The third act really takes a different turn. 

It also seems they don't explain a lot of things. I'm curious about it. 

Where's a full synopsis up?