kayumanggi

US | 03.22.2019 | Universal | 13th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

it's a blend of genres so if you expect one thing and get that and several other things you didn't ask for you may be disappointed. mind you, I loved it but I also know that preconception can be powerful enough to hurt movies that turned way off the beaten path. I don't think that marketing is bait and switch at all, but the movie has many surprises that aren't in previews plus it's more a fun ride than a horror.  

• Like 1

This was awesome, totally lived up to the hype. I kinda want to watch it again which doesn't happen very often.

Spoiler

Not a complaint but I totally saw the "twist" coming, pretty easy to spot if you're paying attention, and if you've seen a certain Simpson's halloween special ;) I guess the only complaint I'd have is the trailer gives away a lot of the movie, especially if you watched the trailer a bunch of times like I had so I guess that's kinda my fault

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How scary is this? I rarely find movies scary, but when a movie really does unnerve me that uneasiness can stick with me for awhile, and not really a big fan of that to be honest. That's kind of what I got from the trailers for this. 

I don't scare easily either, I'd say "unnerving" is more the word for it. The last movies I remember feeling "scared" during were Lights Out and Don't Breathe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOVIEGUY said:

This was awesome, totally lived up to the hype. I kinda want to watch it again which doesn't happen very often.

Hide contents

Not a complaint but I totally saw the "twist" coming, pretty easy to spot if you're paying attention, and if you've seen a certain Simpson's halloween special ;) I guess the only complaint I'd have is the trailer gives away a lot of the movie, especially if you watched the trailer a bunch of times like I had so I guess that's kinda my fault

Say what? The trailer revealed nothing! All it gives you is the home invasion stuff. 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

How scary is this? I rarely find movies scary, but when a movie really does unnerve me that uneasiness can stick with me for awhile, and not really a big fan of that to be honest. That's kind of what I got from the trailers for this. 

Not as scary as the trailer imo, there's a lot of humor to it that the trailer didn't show.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

In terms of scariness, it's not on the level of something like Hereditary, at least in my mind. This is subjective after all. It is unsettling though. The beginning was the most so for me, before you really know what's going on.

Not scary at all. I didn't care for Get Out (still can't understand the buzz surrounding it, I guess it's smarter than your average horror flick?) but I quite liked the trailer for this and it's pretty misleading. The only other film that felt this way to me was Mother ! which I viscerally hate. This didn't cause the same reaction but it's the only one, really rare when that happens, where I felt totally empty for the first two acts. I felt nothing, or was it indifference? I'm not sure, I was bored, there was no tension, the dialogue and interaction between the different members of the family just felt super clunky and forced before what happens happens. 

For some reason, the third act at least entertained me, the ending is lazy, some things intended to be creepy (the voice) just struck me as unintentionally dumb and ridiculous, I've seen some Letterboxd comments saying a lot of the film doesn't hold up if you dig into the logic of it, and yeah, I guess it doesn't. A bunch of it just didn't feel original, or shot with any particular flair (not talking about the lighting, my projection sucked anyway). Have to look it up but I'm sure that the main concept at the center of the film has been done before. 

I'm stunned it got a B Cinemascore but I don't see how people are going to like this as much as Get Out, I guess it'll drop heavily next week. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins