kayumanggi

US | 03.22.2019 | Universal | 13th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

12 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

i havent seen it but was looking forward to it, however most people i know said it was terrible ande made no sense. some drew comparisons to scary movie. what is the truth?

The truth is that you might have to make that decision for yourself. I am in the camp that it's an excellent horror thriller, through and through. This may be because I care more about distinct approaches to film form than I do story content. But, to me, the film makes sense--as long as you read between the lines and make the effort to put the film's pieces together.

My advice: approach this film as you would approach a Christopher Nolan film.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

i havent seen it but was looking forward to it, however most people i know said it was terrible ande made no sense. some drew comparisons to scary movie. what is the truth?

What is the amount of disbelief you're willing to suspend. Somethings you could look past and somethings you might not be able to.

I thought this movie was fcking awful. The concept behind the major horror element in the movie is too pretentious and left the audiences scratching their heads after seeing the movie after they have been thoroughly invested in the horror/suspense of it so far. 3/10

17 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I thought this movie was fcking awful. The concept behind the major horror element in the movie is too pretentious and left the audiences scratching their heads after seeing the movie after they have been thoroughly invested in the horror/suspense of it so far. 3/10

I wouldn't call it pretentious, it is an peculiar element that could've generated some interesting thought line if he actually worked on it, instead of just throwing it on the wall leading the movie to have several plot holes. That's why people are angry, this ending makes no sense, both as allegory and as part of the plot. Too bad because the first two acts are fantastic.

18 minutes ago, Alli said:

I didn't even think the first two acts were that great. Just not enough suspense, not scary or thrilling

I couldn't disagree more, the whole invasion scene gave me chills, everything from the moment we see the shadows of the other family culminating in the revelation of who they truly are is brilliantly directed and instantly iconic. The first act is also pretty good when it comes to characters characterization and their relationship as family, it's just the third act that brings the movie down, imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Jordan Peele is already burning the goodwill that he built with GO, an original Horror movie with that critical acclamation shouldn’t be dropping like this on the second weekend. AQP also had a massive OW and managed to have a great hold because it was actually well received. 

Lol keep trying it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

Not really. while get out was loved, us is very polarizing... he may become the new m night shyamalan in the sense that after Us his next movie wont do as good (toxic wom)

So if it's so polarizing then why did it only drop 51% in a second weekend after a massive 71 million opening. In the M Night shalaman comparisons don't work here considering unbreakable was nowhere near as big of a hit as Us in a breakable definitely doesn't have a 94% rating on Rotten Tomatoes in an 81% on Metacritic. So how many polarizing horror films have only dropped 50% in their second weekend after a massive opening.

Edited by Curtis1986
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

So if it's so polarizing then why did it only drop 51% in a second weekend after a massive 71 million opening. In the M Night shalaman comparisons don't work here considering unbreakable was nowhere near as big of a hit as Us in a breakable definitely doesn't have a 94% rating on Rotten Tomatoes in an 81% on Metacritic. So how many polarizing horror films have only dropped 50% in their second weekend after a massive opening.

Polarizing doesn’t equal to bad legs, there’s several examples of movies that got polarizing responses from audiences and still managed to get good to great multiples thanks to curiosity about the ending/plot twist: (Interstellar, Gone Girl, Inception all shared the same CINEMASCORE as US and they all managed to get a multiple above 4.0x). 

There’s no excuses, a multiple below 3.0x for an acclaimed original Horror movie isn’t good by any means, imo. 

• ...wtf 1

23 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Polarizing doesn’t equal to bad legs, there’s several examples of movies that got polarizing responses from audiences and still managed to get good to great multiples thanks to curiosity about the ending/plot twist: (Interstellar, Gone Girl, Inception all shared the same CINEMASCORE as US and they all managed to get a multiple above 4.0x). 

There’s no excuses, a multiple below 3.0x for an acclaimed original Horror movie isn’t good by any means, imo. 

Stop trolling

• Like 2

So happy Us and It part 2 will be the biggest horror films of the year. Us deserves every bit of success its experience.

PS Jordan peele's The Twilight Zone is also getting great reviews. This guy is definitely becoming the new face of Hollywood

4 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Jordan Peele is already burning the goodwill that he built with GO, an original Horror movie with that critical acclamation shouldn’t be dropping like this on the second weekend. AQP also had a massive OW and managed to have a great hold because it was actually well received. 

Us literally opened 40% bigger than AQP, and AQP wasn't viewed as a de facto sequel because of a newfound director following.

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Us is hitting a 3 multi so.....

15 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Us literally opened 40% bigger than AQP, and AQP wasn't viewed as a de facto sequel because of a newfound director following.

Well, AQP was also a bit front-loaded during the OW (at least compared to most of Original Horror movies), it ended the weekend with a 11.7x multiple, not that far from the 9.8x that US got.

Yeah, US had a fanbase rushing in the previews, but, Nolan's movies are also front-loaded during the OW, and yet, they all manage to get great multiples. I'm using Nolan as example because he's literally the only other director that I can think of that has a fanbase big enough to cause some front-loading on the OW.

Yeah, US opened 40% bigger than AQP, but we have IT that opened 70% above US and managed to have a better second weekend drop, so, I'm not sure if that's a good excuse. 

Plus, AQP also broke the record for biggest OW for an Original Horror movie back in the day, and still managed to get a fantastic 3.8x.

14 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Us is hitting a 3 multi so.....

I surely hope you’re right, as a Horror fan it would be amazing seeing two Horror movies crossing $200m for the first time in history.

But this second weekend drop isn’t encouraging considering it will face another big Horror movie this weekend, it may stabilize only in the fourth weekend and I’m not sure if it will be too late.