kayumanggi

US | 03.22.2019 | Universal | 13th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

15 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

IT opened $50m higher and had a better second weekend drop, next argument? 

You ignored the rest of the post. Us is more divisive with general audiences. 

I'm saying that US had a more broad appeal than AQP (which played basically to adults only) which should help it's legs, got it? 

Wrong

Because adults will make up that difference later considering they take a longer time to check a movie than teens? 

Wrong 

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

IMAX is irrelevant to Horror movies, that's why these kind of movies weren't even released there few years ago. Also, IMAX didn't even bother reporting the gross, which must mean that it was really weak.

I doubt losing IMAX made a huge difference on it's gross.

Dumbo is a family movie, it had zero impact on US. 

Wrong x 3. 

6 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

US is playing to a broader audience than AQP, which should help it's legs since it is appealing to different quadrants, that's it.

I think I got your point and a disagreed with it, that an older audience would have in general better legs than one that attacked older and younger audience OW.

Why is this movie still divisive for box office? It opened huge on expectations from Get Out and has dropped a lot faster resulting in much shorter legs. That seems to jive with the general consensus of a good but worse movie than get out with an ending many didnt appreciate. Even if dropped 50% every single week from now it's still a big success so what does it matter?

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Why is this movie still divisive for box office? It opened huge on expectations from Get Out and has dropped a lot faster resulting in much shorter legs. That seems to jive with the general consensus of a good but worse movie than get out with an ending many didnt appreciate. Even if dropped 50% every single week from now it's still a big success so what does it matter?

Because quality of movie was bad. 

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

well debuting at 70m of course its gonna have worse legs than a movie debuting at 33?? Us is a smash hit.

5 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

US is a very good movie but not nearly as mainstream as Get Out. 

Well, I disagree. Get Out's premise is more off putting to some segments of society, while I don't see anyone being 'offended' by US' concept. Plus, GO's ending while genial is also creepier than anything present in US.

US acts like your typical (and efficient) Horror movie during the first two acts, it's just the third act that brings things down, not because it's too 'weird' for audiences, I'm actually seeing that the reaction was on the opposite, it was because A) it's extremely predictable. B) It leaves a lot of plot holes.

1 hour ago, TombRaider said:

this is why i dont trust critics. most people i know hated it

So, are you saying that critics should say what audiences want otherwise they're wrong? 

Most of people are ignorant, if they don't like the ending, they hate the movie as a whole, fortunately, critics analysis the big picture. US is an efficient movie that doesn't deserve to be hated just because it has a disappointing ending.

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Because if the reception among audiences is so mixed as it seems to be, it may hurt Peele's goodwill which will cause his next movie to have far less buzz than US had. 

10 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

How did this get 94% on RT, if this came out before Get Out rating would be much lower, lol. At least it was original.

because 94% of the critics enjoyed watching it.

Needs a 2.71x multiplier off this past weekend to reach Get Out's $177 million DOM. A Quiet Place's $188 million DOM would require a 3.58x multiplier. 

Bonus: 11.23x multiplier to reach the goal of that US>Sixth Sense DOM club. 😉

Edited by KP1025