Jump to content
kayumanggi

BLACK PANTHER | 646.8 M overseas ● 1346.9 M worldwide

Recommended Posts

If IMDB is right Black Panther won't have the same staggered roll out that most other marvel movies have had overseas.  Looks like it's opening in most places the same weekend as it is in the US:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/releaseinfo

 

The first weekend for these movies which all opened in around 60% of markets:

 

66 - GotG

75 - Cap2

86 - Dr Str

101 - GotG2

109 - Thor2

 

So Black Panther opening in all major markets less China, Japan and Russia it seems like it should probably match or beat Thor2 and GotG2, 100+, but in more markets.  

 

Also, is there a chance that Disney will do this with Infinity War?  That would be very interesting to see how that one opens day and date everywhere.

Edited by MattW
Clarification
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess that North America, Latin America, UK, Australia/New Zealand, and Asia will be the largest because we known that apart from UK MCU films do average business in Europe and especially Fifty Shades will still be competition for Black Panther in Europe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MattW said:

If IMDB is right Black Panther won't have the same staggered roll out that most other marvel movies have had overseas.  Looks like it's opening in most places the same weekend as it is in the US:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/releaseinfo

 

The first weekend for these movies which all opened in around 60% of markets:

 

66 - GotG

75 - Cap2

86 - Dr Str

101 - GotG2

109 - Thor2

 

So Black Panther opening in all major markets less those 3 it seems like it should probably match or beat Thor2 and GotG2, 100+, but in more markets.  

 

Also, is there a chance that Disney will do this with Infinity War?  That would be very interesting to see how that one opens day and date everywhere.

No,  one of the big reasons they open a week early for May releases specifically is to take advantage of May Day holidays

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

No,  one of the big reasons they open a week early for May releases specifically is to take advantage of May Day holidays

And in NZ and Aus they'll be taking advantage of ANZAC day, so we'll get it a bit earlier than our usual release day since that falls on a Wednesday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am really bad at this, but I believe it will reach Thor: Ragnarok numbers OS.

So around $540M OS and with $450M+ DOM, it will reach $1B easily.

Black Panther isn't a known hero, but the hype from the USA always reaches Europe one way or another and maybe China will appreciate the fancy fight scenes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

DOM>OS

Movies targeting african americans always do disapointing numbers OS.

Many movies with African American leads recently (barring Jumanji) have been movies around civil rights movement, oppression, and other historical events that took place in USA (even though the issue is global), or comedies like Girls Trip, Think Like A Man etc which as a genre doesn't do great OS anyways.

 

More generic movies if made with a prominent African American cast will give us a better idea of how OS performs. DJ has become a global star and so was Will Smith. With BP even though the leads are not big stars it's an OS friendly genre and from MCU family no less which has a great OS record.

 

Thinking Dom will be less than Wonder Woman but OS has a shot at going higher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Many movies with African American leads recently (barring Jumanji) have been movies around civil rights movement, oppression, and other historical events that took place in USA (even though the issue is global), or comedies like Girls Trip, Think Like A Man etc which as a genre doesn't do great OS anyways.

 

More generic movies if made with a prominent African American cast will give us a better idea of how OS performs. DJ has become a global star and so was Will Smith. With BP even though the leads are not big stars it's an OS friendly genre and from MCU family no less which has a great OS record.

 

Thinking Dom will be less than Wonder Woman but OS has a shot at going higher.

Its overseas number is a wildcard. Black Panther has at least 90 percent of the cast being black (and not biraical or light skinned) and its written and directed and written by African Americans. Even if the genre is overseas friendly, there is always the fact that many overseas markets like Latin America and Asia have more lighter skinned beauty standards. The exclusive Chinese trailer for BP I saw focused on action shots and opening shots showed the other Avengers.

 

I'm not entirely convinced on some of the 450-550 mil I've seen on here and some other sites but we'll see I guess. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.