kayumanggi

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR | 1369.5 M overseas ● 2048.4 M worldwide

33 minutes ago, peludo said:

Sure, Avatar was way bigger in the biggest markets. It still ranks as the biggest grosser in many markets. In Spain, it is an incredible 40% higher than the second one, having sold both films basically the same amount of admissions.

Said this, just to say that with today ERs, Avatar would not have those 10 markets over $100m (Spain, Russia, Australia and maybe South Korea would had not reached that amount). Or on the other side, Infinity War would have more than 2 with Avatar's ER (Brazil, Mexico and UK for sure. And South Korea would be bordering it). Avatar is one of the most benefited films ever because of this factor.

But I agree and it is obvious that Avatar was a phenomenon very difficult to repeat. It is the second most impressive run ever. No doubt about it. Because all of us know which is the most impressive... I just wanted to point that IW is making big numbers in many markets, not to say that it is closer to Avatar than it really is.

I think that at this point inflation probably makes up for lower exchange rates, no? I remember you (and another poster I'm forgettng the name) making these very informative posts where you calculated the grosses of various movies adjusted for ER AND Inflation  (imo adjusting for only one of those without the other is not very useful).  Is there any $100m+ market for Avatar in 2009 which wouldn't be one today when adjusting for both of those?

• Like 3

Deadline

Across several offshore markets it is the biggest release in history. Those include Brazil, Central America, Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Latin America as a region, the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, India (western), Thailand (western) and Vietnam. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Agafin said:

I think that at this point inflation probably makes up for lower exchange rates, no? I remember you (and another poster I'm forgettng the name) making these very informative posts where you calculated the grosses of various movies adjusted for ER AND Inflation  (imo adjusting for only one of those without the other is not very useful).  Is there any $100m+ market for Avatar in 2009 which wouldn't be one today when adjusting for both of those?

Well if you adjust for inflation you also have to adjust for average ticket sold over time, cause thats declining as well. I mean spain isn't selling as much tickets now as it was 10 years ago.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Agafin said:

You are right. We should take into account both factors.

I do not have data available right now (posting from cellular), but Spain would not reach $100m. 9.5 million admissions with a 6.8€ ticket (last weekend average) means less than $80m today. Another debate is the 3D ratio we should apply.

And I do not know if Russia inflation of last 8-9 years is enough to compensate the +50% drop of Ruble relative to 2009.

I insist that I am not trying to deny nothing to Avatar, but to put into context IW figures around the world.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, peludo said:

You are right. We should take into account both factors.

I do not have data available right now (posting from cellular), but Spain would not reach $100m. 9.5 million admissions with a 6.8€ ticket (last weekend average) means less than $80m today. Another debate is the 3D ratio we should apply.

And I do not know if Russia inflation of last 8-9 years is enough to compensate the +50% drop of Ruble relative to 2009.

I insist that I am not trying to deny nothing to Avatar, but to put into context IW figures around the world.

And the internet is 2 times bigger (in number of people with internet access) than in 2010. So yeah a lot of things are different. (Now we have more Imax). It's so hard to compare movies. Doesn't mean Avatar wasn't insane (it was, it out grossed ROTK by 1.6B). 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It didn't make $2.78b dollars as an original film for no reason. I preferred Titanic in the past but with my rewatches of both I've come to give the slight edge to Avatar, maybe because I read the information book about Na'vi or something or perhaps the real world wearing me down through our technological world... I sometimes wish I was a Na'vi (or marry and live with one)

I'm really curious about something. Will you be happy when Disney eventually becomes the new home of the Avatar sequels (that is, if the deal pushes through)?

9 hours ago, NCsoft said:

yes, but Avatar still great.

Avatar is a visual spectacle but the story is very forgettable. Unless Cameron comes up with another tech advancement, I doubt if Avatar 2 can even hit $2B.

2 hours ago, UserHN said:

I'm really curious about something. Will you be happy when Disney eventually becomes the new home of the Avatar sequels (that is, if the deal pushes through)?

Jim says he's not bothered one way or the other and that he has a great relationship with Fox and that Disney already have a higher $$$ investment in Avatar (Disney Park)

I'm happy either way, this is a James Cameron project not a Fox or Disney project, whoever is lucky enough to fund it and reap the attached profits is none of my concern. I just hope we don't get people praising Disney for the decisions they made with Avatar... when clearly it's 100% Jim.

Edited by IronJimbo

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Huh? :huh: That does not sound right. Its more like crossed 305 right now. 

Maybe they used an older exchane rate? Or a typo (like thinking about something else whilst typing)? Usually screendaily is a good source

2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Grace said that it fell 75% in China second weekend. And that it’s karma for trying to overthrow Deadpool with excessive solo promotion. 

It had a better drop than BP and Spiderman homecomming. Don't listen to her for boxoffice information. It held pretty well actualy. 

I did have no real competition, but do your own reseach and you ll get a  bettter picture.

4 minutes ago, pepsa said:

It had a better drop than BP and Spiderman homecomming. Don't listen to her for boxoffice information. It held pretty well actualy. 

I did have no real competition, but do your own reseach and you ll get a  bettter picture.

I know I just thought it was funny that she acted all smug about it. She truly hates marvel LOL.  Besides isnt China known for dropping movies really fast anyways?

4 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I know I just thought it was funny that she acted all smug about it. She truly hates marvel LOL.  Besides isnt China known for dropping movies really fast anyways?

Yeah it is, there are only to option. Or you break out or you fall like a rock. I don't think there are that many 2.5 multi, more lik 1.5-2 and 3.5 + with 10x when china goes crazy. 

• Like 1

I still don't understand the reasoning.

When superhero films didn't make huge money in europe or japan, people will come out and declare that the market is in decline.

Isn't your name and frozen made $250m in japan? 

Aren't we have 60m grosser or even 100m(Qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au Bon Dieu?) or even 166m(Intounchable) mega-grosser in france?

I thought german had SW7 at 110m? 

Isn't Ocho apellidos vascos made 77m in spain?

Italy had Quo vado at 73m? 

All these examples prove that mature market are well still alive!

And, not necessarily you need to be superhero friendly  to prove that your market is growing.

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

The real grace doesn’t have a clue when it comes to box office in general, whether she talks about China or the u.s , she is completely ignorant.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I still don't understand the reasoning.

When superhero films didn't make huge money in europe or japan, people will come out and declare that the market is in decline.

Isn't your name and frozen made $250m in japan? 

Aren't we have 60m grosser or even 100m(Qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au Bon Dieu?) or even 166m(Intounchable) mega-grosser in france?

I thought german had SW7 at 110m? 

Isn't Ocho apellidos vascos made 77m in spain?

Italy had Quo vado at 73m? 

All these examples prove that mature market are well still alive!

And, not necessarily you need to be superhero friendly  to prove that your market is growing.

What I refered to ticket sales in my country and I am sure many other countries as well. It's half as low as it was when Titanic came out. Just to give you some perspective. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pepsa said:

What I refered to ticket sales in my country and I am sure many other countries as well. It's half as low as it was when Titanic came out. Just to give you some perspective. 

Ticket sales= admission? I thought my examples are all in nominal gross? I am pretty sure, the decline of attendance has largely compensated by inflation. The odd of having a 10m grooser in belgium aren't not much lower compared to 00s or 90s. Same goes to france, germany or many other, there is no trend showing that having a 50m grosser in these countries are becoming harder despite the drop in attendance. 

19 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

to prove that your market is growing.

as Pepsa already said.

Plus: In a lot of countries it is so bad a % of the cinemas had to close down.

Yes, the remaining ones can do over-work for certain hits, but in general some of the markets are declining, exchange rates can skew the view too.

Ticket prices too

Germany had in 2012 = 135.1m admissions, in 2017 it was only 122.3m admissions, beside the SW7 year, were it peaked up to 139.2m admissions, a ~ steady decline

In 2001 we had 177.9m admissions btw.

You can ping for example CJohn and ask him about the situation in Portugal (every year is a change, obviously), or e.g. peludo for Spain, as far as I remember from the posts 1-2y back the situation in their countries is worse

• Like 2