kayumanggi

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR | 1369.5 M overseas ● 2048.4 M worldwide

• Like 13
  • Astonished 2

well, with IW reached its final milestone most likely.....I would like to extend my gratitude to all European and Japanese, thanks to their undying love to Titanic, that helped Titanic to retain its 2nd worldwide for another year.

UK, Italy, Germany, France and Spain, the big 5 from Euro + Japan contributed more than $450m of advantage that allow Titanic to contain the mega-assembly of Marvel, especially when every continent of the world went crazy over IW. 

I am deeply thankful to European and Japanese for protecting my precious Titanic in the all time box office chart....I hope European and Japanese will come for that honour when IW2/A4 come next year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1

41 minutes ago, pepsa said:

RIP

Man, this sucks! Now we can't call IW a flop anymore :whosad:

Gone, all the melodramatic moments and meltdowns...

Good times :redcapes:

Are you kidding me? This F L O P can’t even pass TFA

• Like 2

I think what makes this even more impressive is that this is just another sequel in a franchise that has been releasing multiple films per year. Even its last "direct predecessor", Age of Ultron, came out only 3 years ago. No other $2B film has done that. Star Wars built up demand and anticipation for 10 years. Avatar built up demand for 12 years (since Titanic). Titanic grossed less than $2B in its initial run.

• Like 1

OS numbers for last week were: $21.19m. WE only:  $11.9m

China: (32.94m) $5.147m Mon-Thu and a (42.1m) $6.578m WE.

OS-Ch: $9.465m total week, the WE was: $5.322m and the weekdays were $4.143m

• Like 2

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

well, with IW reached its final milestone most likely.....I would like to extend my gratitude to all European and Japanese, thanks to their undying love to Titanic, that helped Titanic to retain its 2nd worldwide for another year.

UK, Italy, Germany, France and Spain, the big 5 from Euro + Japan contributed more than $450m of advantage that allow Titanic to contain the mega-assembly of Marvel, especially when every continent of the world went crazy over IW. 

I am deeply thankful to European and Japanese for protecting my precious Titanic in the all time box office chart....I hope European and Japanese will come for that honour when IW2/A4 come next year!

Titanic had to be released TWICE to gross 2B though. So technically it’s behind both TFA and IW. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quigley said:

I think what makes this even more impressive is that this is just another sequel in a franchise that has been releasing multiple films per year. Even its last "direct predecessor", Age of Ultron, came out only 3 years ago. No other $2B film has done that. Star Wars built up demand and anticipation for 10 years. Avatar built up demand for 12 years (since Titanic). Titanic grossed less than $2B in its initial run.

Don’t forget that the other 2 billion movies were released in December and benefited by the holidays.  IW would have been even a bigger monster during Xmas! 

5 hours ago, Quigley said:

Yes, the MCU's greatness and unique achievement is the ability to score multiple hits in a single year, every year! No other franchise in the history of cinema has come anywhere near close to that. 

And out of all of MCU's hits, AIW is the biggest and better. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Titanic had to be released TWICE to gross 2B though. So technically it’s behind both TFA and IW. 

If IW or TFA or any other film can make 300m+ in china in 90s, I will give you that..... 

And, technically, titanic didn't have 3D, PLF or IMAX in its release.

And titanic 3D rerelease came in 2012, that is before TFA(2015) and IW(2018), so technically it never got surpassed by both film...as that gross was already been made prior their release. It's not like titanic has been overtaken but claiming back the position through rerelease. 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

yeeeaaahhh-loki.gif

They did it!! The very first superhero /comic book / non-December opener movie to cross $2 billion worldwide! Astonishing achievement. :) 

15 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Wow. I am a huge fan of Titianic, it's probably my favorite film in Top100 charts (worldwide, as well as domestically), but You should chill out. If any movie will eventually surpass Titanic for the 2nd place worldwide, it wouldn't be a disaster. This movie is over 20 years old, so still being on the 3rd spot of all time would be a great deal. And if any film will beat Titanic worldwide number, it'd be great if it would be film as great as Infinity War. :)

But shame that Titanic soon will be 5th domestically. :/ Avatar, TFA and IW ahead of it - okay, no problem with that... but I still can't believe that Black Panther is higher than Cameron masterpiece. :( 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Is this longest Overseas thread here on BOT? 121 pages and counting.

Yes

Avengers 1 in second with 112 and Frozen in third with 109. All other threads (for individual movies) are less than 100.

Even the TFA wasn't very long in comparison

• Like 2

On 12/1/2017 at 5:56 PM, MattW said:

Avengers 1, 2 and Civil War adjusted for exchange rates to July 2017:

Avengers       - $895.5m - $699m

Age of Ultron - $946.4m - $868m

Civil War        - $745.2m - $722m

Exchange rate adjustment would be different for mid 2018 but not by much (some markets better, and other worse)

Regardless - 1.346 Billion and counting really puts how enormous the jump O/S was in perspective

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

8 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

If IW or TFA or any other film can make 300m+ in china in 90s, I will give you that..... 

And, technically, titanic didn't have 3D, PLF or IMAX in its release.

And titanic 3D rerelease came in 2012, that is before TFA(2015) and IW(2018), so technically it never got surpassed by both film...as that gross was already been made prior their release. It's not like titanic has been overtaken but claiming back the position through rerelease. 

Titanic was also released in time with no competition. In 2018 there is at least a blockbuster per month - not to mention superheroe movies which oversaturates the market. It makes IW gross even more impressive. 

Also movies back in the day could afford to be in theaters for over a year. People had no choice but to go and see it. Today we have illegal downloads and streaming. I have plenty of friends that just wait a couple of months to watch movies for free. Id say the Chinese market isn’t big enough to make up for the loss that’s been caused by the internet.  

3 hours ago, Juby said:

yeeeaaahhh-loki.gif

They did it!! The very first superhero /comic book / non-December opener movie to cross $2 billion worldwide! Astonishing achievement. :) 

Wow. I am a huge fan of Titianic, it's probably my favorite film in Top100 charts (worldwide, as well as domestically), but You should chill out. If any movie will eventually surpass Titanic for the 2nd place worldwide, it wouldn't be a disaster. This movie is over 20 years old, so still being on the 3rd spot of all time would be a great deal. And if any film will beat Titanic worldwide number, it'd be great if it would be film as great as Infinity War. :)

But shame that Titanic soon will be 5th domestically. 😕 Avatar, TFA and IW ahead of it - okay, no problem with that... but I still can't believe that Black Panther is higher than Cameron masterpiece. :( 

Black Panther $700m domestically is the most mysterious achievement of all time, how can a stand-alone, B class superhero destroy mega-assembly of marvel's superhero?

I do wish Titanic can linger few more years, as long as possible on the 2nd worldwide. It's been 8 years....I hope it can challenge A new hope as the longest standing 2nd place of worldwide(from 1983-1993) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Titanic was also released in time with no competition. In 2018 there is at least a blockbuster per month - not to mention superheroe movies which oversaturates the market. It makes IW gross even more impressive. 

Also movies back in the day could afford to be in theaters for over a year. People had no choice but to go and see it. Today we have illegal downloads and streaming. I have plenty of friends that just wait a couple of months to watch movies for free. Id say the Chinese market isn’t big enough to make up for the loss that’s been caused by the internet.  

Another competition argument that sound convincing yet so flawed, and contradict to the result, if your lack of competition theory was so powerful, the worldwide chart will be full of 80s, 90s movie. But if you look at top 50 movie of all time, the prevailing movie are all 2000s, you can even barely find pre-2010 movie in top 10 chart.

The LACK OF COMPETITION, INTERNET theory has FAILED, a total failure in explaining why unadjusted/nominal box office chart are full of 2000s movie. Please give a reasonable argument to explain that if 80s, 90s movie are really that powerful when there is no internet, no competition, they still failed to land on the top of chart.

Only one explanation here, the inflation and expansion of overseas market have totally wiped out, the so-called, lack of competition, no much blockbuster, or internet privacy, that put older movie in advantage.  

Edited by titanic2187
  • ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Black Panther $700m domestically is the most mysterious achievement of all time, how can a stand-alone, B class superhero destroy mega-assembly of marvel's superhero?

I do wish Titanic can linger few more years, as long as possible on the 2nd worldwide. It's been 8 years....I hope it can challenge A new hope as the longest standing 2nd place of worldwide(from 1983-1993) 

The second most mysterious... The first is $652 mln made by Jurassic World (basically a Syfy channel film with $150 mln budget and A-list star, nothing special in reviews and audience scores, nothing special in marketing, not even close to be an event as the first Jurassic Park was, and yet, almost as huge success as JP if we look at its adjusted number, also bigger than The Avengers). :P

And Star Wars was 2nd worldwide only for 9-10 years (Terminator 2 beat it somewhere in 1992 with $519.8 mln, SW made $513,040,132 before 1997 Special Edition). Titanic will top that next December.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 1