kayumanggi

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR | 1369.5 M overseas ● 2048.4 M worldwide

On 12/3/2017 at 10:52 AM, bladels said:

This will be big in Asia, we didn't follow Phase I so this movie will be like the first Avengers for us.

When did MCU become a thing over there?

6 minutes ago, RRA said:

When did MCU become a thing over there?

The first Avengers was the film which exploded in China with $86m. It ranked #7 in 2012. To compare, the last year 7th in the ranking was Transformers 5, with $230m.

Before Avengers, MCU was pretty anecdotical in China (and I guess that it happened in the same way in the rest of Asia).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, peludo said:

The first Avengers was the film which exploded in China with $86m. It ranked #7 in 2012. To compare, the last year 7th in the ranking was Transformers 5, with $230m.

Before Avengers, MCU was pretty anecdotical in China (and I guess that it happened in the same way in the rest of Asia).

Indonesia is starting to become really impressive by the way, with its population the country has a huge potential that will be strongly felt in the 2020, a bit like Brazil and Mexico in the 2010s (these 2 markets will be even more impressive in the 2020s for sure but I'm talking about the overall growth in %).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Infinity War should probably reach $500M in the US: $550M

Overseas the dollar is quite strong so $850M is my best guess.

Total: $1.4B

I really wish it beat the first one though...

Under Black Panther??? NO WAY, I hope not! That's the movie with Thanos, it's going beyond the previous Avengers in terms of intensity!

People underestimate it!

5 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Infinity War should probably reach $500M in the US: $550M

Overseas the dollar is quite strong so $850M is my best guess.

Total: $1.4B

I really wish it beat the first one though...

I agree DOM, but I think it can go higher OS. Probably over the billion.

48 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Under Black Panther??? NO WAY, I hope not! That's the movie with Thanos, it's going beyond the previous Avengers in terms of intensity!

People underestimate it!

I say this as a MCU fan: IW not making as much as BP wouldn’t bother me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RRA said:

I say this as a MCU fan: IW not making as much as BP wouldn’t bother me.

Avengers 3 is meant to be the most ambitious MCUm ovie with the most powerful bad guy, a real one because MCU villains are usually bland and weak.

That would bother me a great deal, and I hope it will beat the first one on a global scale :) 

8 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Avengers 3 is meant to be the most ambitious MCUm ovie with the most powerful bad guy, a real one because MCU villains are usually bland and weak.

That would bother me a great deal, and I hope it will beat the first one on a global scale :) 

It might beat the first one if it blows up OS, but I wouldn’t count on it getting near $600m in NA. It’s very likely it’ll end up below Black Panther. It’ll have to do $1.1b OS, which is possible, to combine with ~$470m DOM and it can beat the Avengers. Plus the MCU has been having better villains with recent movies. I’m not really expecting much from Thanos. Just because he’s bigger and more powerful doesn’t mean he’ll be a better villain. But it seems your idea of a good villain is different from mine. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

It might beat the first one if it blows up OS, but I wouldn’t count on it getting near $600m in NA. It’s very likely it’ll end up below Black Panther. It’ll have to do $1.1b OS, which is possible, to combine with ~$470m DOM and it can beat the Avengers. Plus the MCU has been having better villains with recent movies. I’m not really expecting much from Thanos. Just because he’s bigger and more powerful doesn’t mean he’ll be a better villain. But it seems your idea of a good villain is different from mine. 

A good villain to me is a villain who is powerful enough to make the main character suffer, superheroes win too easily in most movies, that's pretty simple, a bit like some villains in animes who are so powerful that heroes feel impotent and desperate when they meet them for the first time. This kind of encounters :

OK, the guy is not a villain but it feels like it here xD

Sheer power :shades:

And this is why I hate the villains in most movies, they're ridiculously weak compared to that, and also why comicbook movies started to bore me these last few months, Infinity War is the only one interesting me because it's likely to finally have REAL villain with all the strength going with it. That's why I was excited first about these movies because I expected to see this kind of things, unfortunately Man of Steel and in a lesser extent Wonder Woman are the only ones that have been able to match my wishes so I'm a bit frustrated now. IW is a bit the last chance for me to keep an interest in these movies, I loved what I saw from Thanos in the 1st trailer and Iron Man being so desperate against him, this is what I want.

Your vision of a good villain is probably closer to The Joker in Batman The Dark Knght I guess.

Edited by Fullbuster

4 hours ago, Deja23 said:

Hell its because their phase 3 has mostly been good with villains (Dr Strange whiffed) is why I have faith Thanos will be decent.

• Like 1

On 2-3-2018 at 4:56 PM, Fullbuster said:

Don’t worry to much. IW is gonna be huge and will break a lot of records. IW will increase a lot from the first Avengers movie and will beat Jurassic World for fourth place  overall on the all time WW list.

It’s still amazes me that many people on this forum are lowballing IW. It’s the event movie of the year and a lot of people will come in droves to watch this movie. Not only comicbook fanboys who will watch it multiple times in the theater, but the general audience will be the decided factor. Also after Age of Ultron the MCU’s fanbase has increased/grown a lot with critically and financially succesfull movies. And Black Panther’s huge succes will boost IW’s box office.

Edited by Life goes on
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Japan premier is also April 27th. Is this opens everywhere the same weekend? What is the Chinese release date? What about Peru, Russia, Romania and Lithuania? IMDb still states them as 3rd/4th May.

EDIT: Romania is April 27th now, but China release date is not April 27th. It's May 4th :( Is the overseas/worldwide OW record still possible without China & Russia?

Edited by Juby

On 3/2/2018 at 10:27 AM, Fullbuster said:

A good villain to me is a villain who is powerful enough to make the main character suffer, superheroes win too easily in most movies, that's pretty simple, a bit like some villains in animes who are so powerful that heroes feel impotent and desperate when they meet them for the first time. This kind of encounters :

OK, the guy is not a villain but it feels like it here xD

Sheer power :shades:

And this is why I hate the villains in most movies, they're ridiculously weak compared to that, and also why comicbook movies started to bore me these last few months, Infinity War is the only one interesting me because it's likely to finally have REAL villain with all the strength going with it. That's why I was excited first about these movies because I expected to see this kind of things, unfortunately Man of Steel and in a lesser extent Wonder Woman are the only ones that have been able to match my wishes so I'm a bit frustrated now. IW is a bit the last chance for me to keep an interest in these movies, I loved what I saw from Thanos in the 1st trailer and Iron Man being so desperate against him, this is what I want.

Your vision of a good villain is probably closer to The Joker in Batman The Dark Knght I guess.

it seems that you guys are actually in agreement but arguing over something inconsequential. A good villian (antagonist) is one that pushes the protags to their limit. It doesn't have to be physically (most superhero movies and anime) it can also be psychologically (joker). Everyone likes certain villains for the same reason, not because you sympathize with them, or they have cool powers, or they have a cool laugh, but because they actually challenge the protagonist in more ways than one.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 9:55 PM, Juby said:

Japan premier is also April 27th. Is this opens everywhere the same weekend? What is the Chinese release date? What about Peru, Russia, Romania and Lithuania? IMDb still states them as 3rd/4th May.

EDIT: Romania is April 27th now, but China release date is not April 27th. It's May 4th :( Is the overseas/worldwide OW record still possible without China & Russia?

possible...250mn from DOM and 300mn from OS..

ultron made 201mn without japan/mexico/malaysia/thai/uae..etc

4 hours ago, commendable said:

it seems that you guys are actually in agreement but arguing over something inconsequential. A good villian (antagonist) is one that pushes the protags to their limit. It doesn't have to be physically (most superhero movies and anime) it can also be psychologically (joker). Everyone likes certain villains for the same reason, not because you sympathize with them, or they have cool powers, or they have a cool laugh, but because they actually challenge the protagonist in more ways than one.

That's a nice way of seeing things :)

5 hours ago, commendable said:

I find the ones who challenge the hero psychologically tend to work better. Anytime the villain is so strong that he completely curb stomps the hero in the first meeting, you run into the issue of "how could the hero possibly win the next time around?".

Way too often that ends with a cheap trick that doesn't really fit to how the villain was presented early on. Suddenly the villain is weaker than he was before, simply because the plot requires it. Sometimes you get lucky and it is a case of outsmarting the villain, or there is someone who turns on the villain and helps get rid of him, and in some scenarios it can also work when the hero wasn't really developed yet when the first meeting occured, but few movies are actually that clever.