BOOYAH SUCKAS

The Mummy (1999) and The Mummy Returns (2001)

In honor of the remake I thought it would be interesting to talk about these two movies. Lets just pretend the third one doesnt exist. The first Mummy basically made the first week of May the summer start that it currently is today when it debuted to what was at the time the 9th highest opening weekend of all time. It proved to have some staying power as not even Star Wars was able to kill off it legs and it finished at #8 for the year. The second movie debuted to the second highest opening weekend of all time but that proved to be short lived, and the legs weren't quite as good this time. Random fact, it was also the first movie to gross over 200m domestically and not finish in the top 5 for the year.

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

Thoughts? 

When people say stuff like instead of rebooting Indiana Jones, reboot it in reality but do not use is name or is iconic item, do it a bit differently, etc... I think about the Mummy.

It was well executed and I rewatched it not so long ago, it did hold up.

Do not remember the sequels at all, if I have seen them.

• Like 3

The Mummy was perfectly positioned on the schedule and had a terrific ad campaign. Studios had figured out that early May was a great launching pad by that point (as evidenced by Twister in 1996 and Deep Impact in 1998, which both opened over $40 million) and audiences were ready for a big event film in the lead-up to The Phantom Menace. The dynamics of the box office in the '90s were also different enough that the arrival of a new event movie wouldn't always wipe the previous one off the map. The trailers were quite effective and the film even had a decent bit of appeal with kids despite the horror elements. I was in second grade at the time and knew multiple classmates who saw it theatrically, and the fact that a child was added to the sequel indicates that it clearly had some appeal with kids.

I still can't believe that The Mummy Returns came so close to breaking the weekend record. Sure, that record already had an asterisk attached to it considering that The Phantom Menace would have blown it away if it had opened on a Friday, but a Mummy sequel certainly wasn't the thing that seemed destined to dethrone The Lost World's record (ditto for Planet of the Apes and Rush Hour 2, which landed in the same range later that summer).

• Like 1

The Mummy had great run in India AFAIK. 100 days in many cities it was dubbed in Telugu,Tamil and Hindi (Indian Languages). Dubbed versions did solid business in respective areas.

Whereas The Mummy returns opened to amazing numbers but it couldn't sustain like the first one. Overall another Hit.

I remember watching it on Tv and i loved it perfect definition of Family skewing Action/Adventure/Horror movie. One of the best commercial movies.

I loved Mummy returns as well but i always feel something was missing compared to first part.

Third one was bad and bland.

On 5/6/2017 at 5:29 PM, Webslinger said:

The Mummy was perfectly positioned on the schedule and had a terrific ad campaign. Studios had figured out that early May was a great launching pad by that point (as evidenced by Twister in 1996 and Deep Impact in 1998, which both opened over $40 million) and audiences were ready for a big event film in the lead-up to The Phantom Menace. The dynamics of the box office in the '90s were also different enough that the arrival of a new event movie wouldn't always wipe the previous one off the map. The trailers were quite effective and the film even had a decent bit of appeal with kids despite the horror elements. I was in second grade at the time and knew multiple classmates who saw it theatrically, and the fact that a child was added to the sequel indicates that it clearly had some appeal with kids.

I still can't believe that The Mummy Returns came so close to breaking the weekend record. Sure, that record already had an asterisk attached to it considering that The Phantom Menace would have blown it away if it had opened on a Friday, but a Mummy sequel certainly wasn't the thing that seemed destined to dethrone The Lost World's record (ditto for Planet of the Apes and Rush Hour 2, which landed in the same range later that summer).

Twister came out on the third weekend of May and Deep Impact came out on the second. The Mummy was what made the first weekend of the month what it is today. 

The first one is a great summer popcorn movie. The second one is a damn fun movie with few cgi issues. The third one is bad. The reboot is atrocious.

I really want another mummy movie with Branden, Rachel and Arnold. They should release it in the winter/december. Will have better legs and do good business. 

• Like 2

No doubt that a 1950s set Mummy staring Fraser, Weizc, Hannah and Vosloo would do big business. To hear that Jerry Goldsmith score blasting through theater speakers once again...

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1