ddddeeee

HELLBOY | April 12 2019 | David Harbour

2 hours ago, TMP said:

I thought China didn't allow separate cuts anymore? Or was that law not passed?

Bohemian Rhapsody got a cut that removed the "gayness" (what little there was), so I guess that law isn't in effect, or there's some rule-bending going on.

9 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Hellboy reminds me of Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny, will it have a sufficiently 'so bad it's good' sound track?

pick of destiny is straight up a good film. Not a "so bad it's good".

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Studio probably took the write off a while ago so it doesn't matter at this point.

I understand that, what I mean though is it’ll still make some money when you dump it.

Why not dump Hellboy at the end of October where there’s certainly less direct competition.  Wouldn’t be a hit but 55m DOM and maybe 175m or so WW would be an easier loss than 30m DOM sand 100m WW

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You don't even know what it is selling. So far all I see is bad make up and prosthetics on the lead actor's face, tons of gory violence and the movie seeming to think that cursing equals good joke. Where is the heart? Why should I care? 

Shay just does not get it's not about a film's basic ingrediants, but about the execution. 

As a Hellboy fan, of the both the Del Toro Movies, and the Comic Books, this looks like they have really screwed up the source material. And the jokes in the trailer indicate they don't get the warped sense of humor in the comics and the Del Toro movies at all.

I has some emergencies this weekend to attend to, and could not get out to see "SHazam" so I will be passing this up and seeing "SHazam" instead.

Difference between this and the Del Toro Movies, is that the Del Toro Hellboys were really good movies that deserved a better fate at the Box Office, and this looks like a badly made misfire that deserved it fate at the box office.

And another example of how to mess up really good source material.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

As a Hellboy fan, of the both the Del Toro Movies, and the Comic Books, this looks like they have really screwed up the source material. And the jokes in the trailer indicate they don't get the warped sense of humor in the comics and the Del Toro movies at all.

And another example of how to mess up really good source material.

Im a huge fan of both the films and the comics but somehow Im still excited for this. :lol: 

Even with the tone being quite the departure from both previous sources & the lack of buzz/reviews being alarming, Im still excited about the character being trotted out as a hard-R, action-horror romp. Clearly something more Deadpool-flavored, but its worth exploring IMO. 

Add to the fact that some scenes/creations are being lifted straight out from the comics, then Im just really hoping theres something Ill enjoy from this.

I actually liked this, cheesy B-movie fun.

(Of course, a lot of your enjoyment will depend if youre ok with a Hellboy movie being B-movie action-horror material)

Pros:

-David Harbour had fun quips & looked great to me as Hellboy

-Movie moves at a brisk pace/no dull moments(its pretty much an adaptation of "The Wild Hunt")

-Creature design is great (Gruagach & Baba Yaga being examples)

-Lots of locales/environments for eye candy

-The rest of the cast does fine in their roles. 

-I honestly liked the emotional core of the story.

Cons:

-Rushed at times, pretty evident with a lot of quick cuts & awkward editing

-CGI awkward in moments, especially the giants scene IMO

-Some of the song choices felt forced/out of place.

Overall: B

An overstuffed plot & some shoddy VFX aside, this is a solid B-movie action/horror romp. 

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 4

There are reviews up on Letterboxd, but it looks like most of them are from Indonesian users who had to watch the censored version lol

Thank you, the film censorship agency, which has cut almost all scenes

I watched a butchered version of the film with all the gore stripped away courtesy of the esteemed local censorship board.

The film is pretty good but the censor is lacking.

Don't watch this in Indonesia

A 50% discount is not only for ticket prices, it turns out the gore scenes can also be discounted. Thank you LSF

1 minute ago, harrisonisdead said:

There are reviews up on Letterboxd, but it looks like most of them are from Indonesian users who had to watch the censored version lol

Apparently, the Kingsman church fight was also cut out completely in Indonesia.

The gore here is mostly CGI blood, but its not terrible. Its serviceable. 

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

How was Milla in this? Was she ok as the villain?

She was fine to me. Cheesy and all, spouting "end of humanity/Hellboy we belong together" kind of stuff, but she was ok to me.

Nothing offensively bad. 

Right now Im really thinking that some more studio cash to the VFX and some editing to let the movie breathe and appreciate the different locales, and we'd have a really good movie to spend the afternoon for. 

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 1

I think I seldom read something that annihilating like this :wacko:

'Hellboy' Review: 'Overblown poor CG, witless dialogue & pervasive, numbing violence - deserves its own special circle in Dante’s Inferno'

Edited by terrestrial