ddddeeee

HELLBOY | April 12 2019 | David Harbour

No joke, I was in the theater for Hellboy before. Must've been only a dozen people in my showing, two of them left halfway. The guy sitting in my row ran out the door as soon as the movie ended, without caring about the post credits scenes. I fell asleep about three quarters way into the movie. Woke up at the very end for the final scene. But, this movie's a total mess. Just action scene, to action scene, to action scene, without any coherent tranition in between. There are about two or three action scenes that were actually pretty entertaining, but the piecing and pacing of the movie was just horrific. Don't waste your money or time. I was rooting for the movie, too. ugh...

• Astonished 1

Welp, just saw it.

I can honestly say that people saying the narrative is all over the place and scenes are senselessly stitched together are full of shit. It all hinges on the villain choosing for more than just revenge and stubbornly expecting things to go her way by the end, but it's all perfectly connected from A to B, B to C and so on. That part is solid, f*ck people that can't follow a narrative that requires you to think about why each character does what and fault the movie for not spoon feeding it to them.

Sadly that's my best defense for this movie, haha. The gore and violence exceeds it's welcome, jokes don't land. Certain scenes look good but others seem cheap. Acting overall is alright. The dialogue, if it weren't for soooo many bad jokes, would actually be solid. The ending, pretty unsatisfying, though that sort of comes along with the Hellboy core story of "just pick a side to end it".

Practical effects were good with a few weaker costumes (the zombies), the CGI was actually good for its budget.

Deserves the C score. Not as bad as they're trying to make it out to be, but an easy pass. And if you don't like gore or gross imagery, stay away from it for your own good. It only had be a little worse to make me regret paying for the ticket.

• Like 1

I saw one review that said the movie just looked cheap, among its many other flaws, and I suppose it kind of did It did look a bit TV like, almost like it was made for TV. Parts of it could be out of a Doctor who episode. It wasn't just the set itself either, it was the cinematography, the editing, the pacing and even the script. It was like it was written quickly as part of a series of episodes, so they couldn't invest the usual time a movie needs.

As failures go its not as bad as The Mummy, but its not far off.

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Was it me or did every line that came out the Asian guy's mouth sound like it was done in ADR and not stitched in to the scene properly? 

Gives me Max Mad Fury Road nightmares.

I had hoped for better. I know the film has some flaws but if RT convinces me frequently of why I just don't care about it, it's a 15% score.

The mob mentality pile on is in full effect with this one. 

It was flawed fun, but fun and sets up a sequel I'd like to see(but very likely will not).

• Like 1

This sucked. I will say though, that one thing people have complained about that I thought was well done was the action. Every time people or monsters were fighting, I was entertained in the "I'd watch this if I were drunk" kind of way. But the narrative is terrible, I pretty much forgot every scene that came before when I was watching a new scene. Plot jumps around in so many places, the story structure is something written by a pre-teen who never took English 9

5 hours ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Hellboy is one of the most embrassing superhero movies i seen in recent history. and i thought Thor: The Dark World was bad.

Thor 2 is 9/10 and Hellboy 3 is 7/10.

An altogether great movie - and a great monster movie.

• Like 1