ddddeeee

HELLBOY | April 12 2019 | David Harbour

10 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Because that overrated filmmaker wants 200 million budget. Stupid.

I don't know why GDT seems to be have a hard time grasping at the "Return Of Investment" part of the Hollywood business and still lamenting he doesn't get enough doughs to fulfill his Chibi visions ever since the ludicrous At The Mountains Of Madness shenanigans. It's also funny how his native language movies seem to be the work of an adult and all his english movies are dumbed down B-movies made with a juvenile world outlook. (Haven't seen Crimson peak).

I'm feeling for Mike Mignola seeing how people are keen to jump on GDT's side acting like he created Hellboy and claimed it as his property. It's been almost 10 years since Hellboy II, GDT was holding back the property going further craving a budget he would never have obtained like a spoiled child and Mignola, the creator of the character and the stories, had to wait all this time on the sidelines watching GDT putting Hellboy on his shelves while making other movies, seeing nothing getting done and pushed forward (on top as being unsatisfied with the movies direction). How long Mignola should have waited? It was a dead end going into a wall. So, I sympathize with Mignola on that basis.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

I don't know why GDT seems to be have a hard time grasping at the "Return Of Investment" part of the Hollywood business and still lamenting he doesn't get enough doughs to fulfill his Chibi visions ever since the ludicrous At The Mountains Of Madness shenanigans. It's also funny how his native language movies seem to be the work of an adult and all his english movies are dumbed down B-movies made with a juvenile world outlook. (Haven't seen Crimson peak).

I'm feeling for Mike Mignola seeing how people are keen to jump on GDT's side acting like he created Hellboy and claimed it as his property. It's been almost 10 years since Hellboy II, GDT was holding back the property going further craving a budget he would never have obtained like a spoiled child and Mignola, the creator of the character and the stories, had to wait all this time on the sidelines watching GDT putting Hellboy on his shelves while making other movies, seeing nothing getting done and pushed forward (on top as being unsatisfied with the movies direction). How long Mignola should have waited? It was a dead end going into a wall. So, I sympathize with Mignola on that basis.

Fair points.  Good counterpoint to all of this.  And to those who call GDT "overrated"...well...that's not really the case (keep reading!).  Because he has a small cadre of hard-core fans who support anything he does, and his Spanish-language dramas are indeed viewed as artistically superior by many critics and audiences, but he's always struggled with studio back-and-forth.  And the reality is, as fond as I am of his work, none of his films have really been big money-makers (especially the ones done for Hollywood).  And his bigger stuff done "for Hollywood" indeed feels slightly less personal most of the time...particularly Pacific Rim and even Crimson Peak, which I felt was simply a riff on everything he's done before wrapped up in a Victorian package.  So I wouldn't say he's really "overrated" by the industry...they check-and-balance him repeatedly!

You also have a good point about Mignola's perspective...not that it means everything...Hollywood will do what they do.  But it does sound like GDT might have been holding onto this for a while trying to get 'his version' of this made...and it was always unlikely considering the (lack of) success of the first two films (I am in fact still surprised that the second film was even made).  I like both HB films a lot...but this was probably never meant to be.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

The working title for now is Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hellboy-reboot-works-stranger-things-star-david-harbour-1001462

I was thinking of who they might cast as Liz when someone on another forum mentioned Lizzy Caplan, which would be absolutely perfect casting. I haven't been able to think of anyone else even close.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, aabattery said:

Neil Marshall Says His HELLBOY Will Be Bloody, R-Rated And Light On CGI

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/06/27/neil-marshall-says-his-hellboy-will-be-bloody-r-rated-and-light-on-cgi

Which means "I could not convince the studio to give me a decent  budget".

GDT walked away from Hellboy 3 because he felt the studio would not give him enough money to do it right.

Edited by dudalb

No del toro & Perlman means my interest isn't that high. Harbour is not a bad choice for Hellboy though, and neither is Neil Marshall as the director. I just wish it was done under better circumstances.

18 hours ago, dudalb said:

Which means "I could not convince the studio to give me a decent  budget".

GDT walked away from Hellboy 3 because he felt the studio would not give him enough money to do it right.

Given how both films previously performed, I can imagine the studio is reluctant to greenlight both films.  

• Like 1

The thing is that the creator of the comics said "fuck you" to gdt like a man after gdt announced his departure without even telling the creator. Good. He is overrated filmmaker. Except Pan's Labrynth nothing in his filmography can be said a classic oTr iconic movie. Blade 2 is a guilty pleasure and Pacific Rim is fun. Rest are all garbage.

That being said, I don't think this will be any good.  

On 5/11/2017 at 1:32 PM, Incarnadine said:

The working title for now is Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hellboy-reboot-works-stranger-things-star-david-harbour-1001462

I was thinking of who they might cast as Liz when someone on another forum mentioned Lizzy Caplan, which would be absolutely perfect casting. I haven't been able to think of anyone else even close.

Sounds like great casting, but I am really curious as to who will play the Blood Queen.