Plain Old Tele

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017)

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017)  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is unwatchable. Lacking even basic comprehension to allow for an amusing hate-watch viewing, the film is completely indecipherable thanks to an over-complicated script, an inconsistent world, and dull acting. However, all these flaws pale in comparison to Guy Ritchie's absolutely horrendous directing. All of his quirks are on full display here, but whenever they pop up, they're dreadful. You'll want them to be over with as soon as possible. An ugly color pallet and dull score don't add much, and the entire film is edited like a trailer, which begins amusing but grows dull by probably the eighth minute of the film. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is an irredeemable mess, and is by far, one of the worst films I have ever seen at the cinema. Absolutely horrendous. F

All right... for there is Shadow, there must be Light. Given how much Hates this movie received from Hypocrites and haters alike, i feel like i must come out to defend it.

King Arthur Legend of The Sword is absolutely a classical masterpiece by non other than Guy Ritchie himself. Ritchie had again injected refreshing new life into a supposedly out-dated legend, just like he did with Sherlock Holmes.

King Arhur Legend of the Sword is fast-paced, integrated with charming background music that gave several scenes a mesmerising and enchanted memorable moment , i especially adored by the scene where Morgana (or the Mage) chanting her spell in an attempt to rescue Arthur along with other allies, the music was "The Born King" which  started when Arthur was lead to the executioner table and the camera switch to the scene where Morgana started to chant her spell, Morgana's depiction of a charismatic witch was simply flawless with the way she moved her lips uttering the chant and gesturing her fingers lightly in preparation of her spell.. This i insist that "The Born King" was such a perfect music that it blend in so well with the scene switching back and forth between Arthur and Morgana, leading up to Arthur's rescue..... While there had been many fancy spell casting scenes in the past, whether they were from super hero movies, modern magician movies or even horror movies , non of them had attempted to portray spell casting as an artistic, stylish and enigmatic "Art" ,  it didn't require exaggerating shouting and hand waving manner just to tell people that you are casting a spell now... all it took was Morgana's facial twisting expression( with penetrating eyes staring) accompany by her light uttering of lips movement, plus the slight hand gesture and ending it with her head raising from a bow ... you will understand that a powerful spell had been cast to bewitch the animals and "possibly" humans too, personally i dare said that Morgana had change "some" , if not "most" people's prejudice towards Witch craft , Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey had been well chosen to play as the Mage or Morgana in the movie.

As many had known that Mordred, the supposedly King Arthur's nemesis in the original legend had been slain in the opening of the movie, hence who will be Arthur's Bane next ? Based on my own prediction and interpretation , this version of King Arthur may bring Lancelot as the main Villain instead, 10 years back i had once read a novel who shared my same view, in which Lancelot was the villain , instead of the hero in most legend. For my personal deduction, if there are sequels to be film... the story may continue where Arthur and Morgana started to grow their feeling for each other, but due to internal political strife.. Arthur MUST marry a woman of noble born in order to bring unity to all Nobles , and obviously he must cut his relationship with Morgana because NO ONE will accept a Witch to be their queen, although Arthur was reluctant to obey at first but internal strife threaten to destroy the Realm altogether , and with the invasion of Vikings inevitable . Arthus had no choice to marry Guinevere and this resulted in Morgana running away when her heart was broken. However, soon to be review that Guinevere will BETRAY Arthur and she had secret relationship with Lancelot who rise up to dethrone Arthur's reign ... With the news of Arthur in grave peril, Morgana tried to rush back to save Arthur once more... 

Well, my deduction may seem outlandish but giving that in Sherlock Holmes, Irene Adler .. another charismatic roguish figure had been made into Sherlock's romance interest , it is not impossible Morgana may be alter into Arthur's romance interest as well.. Both Irene Adler and Morgana shared similar background, they are both intelligent, brave and charismatic mysterious figures that spent their entire life living in a dark, sinister and cruel world with merciless men who won't think twice about turning their back on the ladies, but with the naivety but honourable Arthur and Holmes, these ladies knew that both Arthur and Holmes won't betray or harm them... thus it is logical to imagine  Morgana can fall for Arthur here

Oh yeah, there was also the symbolic sign where an Eagle was carrying a Snake which i think is authentic, normally Eagle had been depicted as a symbol for Good and Righteous while the Snake is a sign of Evil or sinister, but seeing them working together maybe give a hint that there shouldn't be prejudice to all life as all life are equal..

And well, last but not least ...King Arthur Legend of the Sword is an excellent movie, i rated it A+ for my opinion 

• Like 1

This was baaaaaaaaad.

It's rare you get such unintentionally laugh-out-loud funny moments in modern blockbusters mainly because even the bad ones just play it safe and boring, but this has at least four moments that had me rolling on the floor for how amazingly ill-timed or badly executed they were.

Such a shame then that the rest of the movie is so fucking dull. You don't get to care about anybody, the storytelling is completely out-of-whack and unlike Ritchie's much better Sherlock Holmes movies it seems to be to no actual end, and when it came to the visuals and the action the prevailing philosophy seemed to be "just because". How on Earth Ritchie thought he could sell six movies of this when he couldn't even make sense with one is beyond me.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 5:07 AM, cookie said:

This was baaaaaaaaad.

It's rare you get such unintentionally laugh-out-loud funny moments in modern blockbusters mainly because even the bad ones just play it safe and boring, but this has at least four moments that had me rolling on the floor for how amazingly ill-timed or badly executed they were.

Such a shame then that the rest of the movie is so fucking dull. You don't get to care about anybody, the storytelling is completely out-of-whack and unlike Ritchie's much better Sherlock Holmes movies it seems to be to no actual end, and when it came to the visuals and the action the prevailing philosophy seemed to be "just because". How on Earth Ritchie thought he could sell six movies of this when he couldn't even make sense with one is beyond me.

If it doesn't make sense to you doesn't means it doesn't make sense to others... I guess some are just slow learner....

• Like 1