1 hour ago, Tele Came Back said:

Hide contents

Pitch Perfect

written by: Kay Cannon, based on the book by Mickey Rapkin
directed by: Jason Moore
starring: Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson

Pitch-Perfect-poster-pitch-perfect-31930

Number of first-place votes: 0

IMDB synopsis: Beca, a freshman at Barden University, is cajoled into joining The Bellas, her school's all-girls singing group. Injecting some much needed energy into their repertoire, The Bellas take on their male rivals in a campus competition.

This musical comedy was actually based on a non-fiction book. Rapkin, senior editor at GQ magazine, spent a season covering competitive collegiate a cappella. He followed the Tufts University Beelzebubs, the University of Oregon Divisi (the loose inspiration for the Bellas), and the University of Virginia Hullabahoos, who have a cameo in the film. Rapkin's book mainly covers the singing, groupies, partying and rivalries. Two members of the a cappella community, Deke Sharon, who founded the International Championship of College A Cappella, and Ed Boyer, both in Rapkin's book, were brought on board to arrange songs, produce vocals and act as on-site music directors, where they ran a month-long "a cappella boot camp".

Tomato meter: 80%, 6.4/10 average rating

Academy Awards: 0 wins, 0 nominations

Random critic comment: “An enjoyably snarky campus romp that's both wildly nerdy and somewhat sexy.” Todd McCarthy, Hollywood Reporter

Random RTM comment: “Best comedy of 2012!” —@Michael Gary Scott

I think its a fine film, but really? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

HOW THE FUCK DID THE MASTER DROP TO 19TH?!?!?!?!?!

For the same reason TDKR will drop out of the top 10. 

BOT people can't handle greatness. ;)

Edited by Goffe

The Grey
written by: Joe Carnahan & Ian Mackenzie Jeffers, based on the short story by Ian Mackenzie Jeffers
directed by: Joe Carnahan
starring: Liam Neeson, Frank Grillo

the-grey-liam-neeson-slice.jpg

Number of first-place votes: 2

IMDB synopsis: After their plane crashes in Alaska, six oil workers are led by a skilled huntsman to survival, but a pack of merciless wolves haunts their every step.

This film was a refacto A-TEAM reunion between director Carnahan, star Neeson, and executive producers Ridley and Tony Scott. Originally, the main character was conceived to be much younger, and Bradley Cooper (another A-TEAM alum) was cast in the role, but Carnahan changed his mind and replaced him with Neeson, who had recently lost his wife Natasha Richardson. In an interesting bit of trivia about marketing, this movie was the first time tweets from and Twitter handles for professional critics were used in a trailer.

Tomato meter: 79%, 6.9/10 average rating
Academy Awards: 0 wins, 0 nominations

Random critic comment: “Certainly an adventure film but one with a spiritual ingredient that is both surprising and fiercely resonant.” —John Anderson, Wall Street Journal

Random RTM comment: “This is a harrowing, intense film that deserves credit for not only trying to be different, but for pulling off the feat in pretty damn impressive fashion.” —@mattmav45

• Like 10

The Grey is weird. I waffled on putting it on my list, because I can appreciate the craft, but I really don't like it that much. Maybe if I rewatched it when I wouldn't be in the mindset of expecting more wolf punching, but it's pretty dour all around so I doubt I'll have any inclination to see it again.

6 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

Hide contents

The Master
written and directed by: Paul Thomas Anderson
starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams

the-master-poster.jpg?w=670

I suppose we'll see this in the top 5 on BOT when pigs are able to fuck properly. 

• Like 1

Stuff is either way too high (Les Mis, Beasts, TDKR and Perks and SLP no matter where they ended up) or way too low (The Grey, Dredd). 2012 really reflects this forum at its most exasperating

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Stuff is either way too high (Les Mis, Beasts, TDKR and Perks and SLP no matter where they ended up) or way too low (The Grey, Dredd). 2012 really reflects this forum at its most exasperating

All those years in Mother Russia have left your heart cold and unsentimental, Jake.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

All those years in Mother Russia have left your heart cold and unsentimental, Jake.

Cold? Nah. Unsentimental? You say that like it's a bad thing

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Those are all critically acclaimed, it's not like we vote trash movies to the top 10.

• Like 1

Fucks sake, I completely forgot about doing this. I even made most of a list before the deadline, then forgot about it. Whoops.

24 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Those are all critically acclaimed, it's not like we vote trash movies to the top 10.

>dark knight rises

>not trash

come on TDKR :)

ok I didn't do a list and have no actual rooting interest but there is one tiny point that makes me want to see TDKR high up and no it's not to cause chaos or anything :P