Plain Old Tele

Alien: Covenant (2017)

Alien: Covenant (2017)  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Fantastic film. I came in for a Prometheus sequel and got exactly what I wanted and more. Michael Fassbender is giving one of the best performances of his career right here, folks. 9/10 | A-

I don't know what you came for, but this is very bad Prometheus sequel in many ways, basically spit in the face for Prometheus fans.

• Like 1

I got dragged to this last night by the gang.

This was really standard stuff.  Prometheus had its flaws(mostly supporting characters that were either underdeveloped or did dumb things), but at least it was memorable to me.  It had 2 good main characters(1 of which gets lazily Alien 3'd in Covenant), visually it was incredible, had some cool ideas even if they weren't fully explored(which is what is most disappointing about Covenant IMO which blatantly discards building on any of it in exchange for standard Alien stuff), and had some awesome shit like the self administered C-section scene.

Covenant is by the numbers.  The Alien stuff is standard(shocker). Daniels was a standard character. Kenny Powers was standard. David got turned into a standard 1 note villain.  Visually it was standard(only by Ridley Scott standards though).  Its not a terrible movie, its just.... very standard? lol.  Scott caved, its a "course correcting" movie and I don't see any reason to see the next one which is just gonna be a villainous David terrorizing people with the Alien.  I'm sure a lot of Xenomorph enthusiasts will eat that shit up, but I'm pretty much over it.

• Like 1

After dividing audiences with the ambitious but occasionally frustrating Prometheus, Ridley Scott's latest return to the Alien universe is a moderately successful effort to bring the franchise closer to its roots. The first 40 minutes or so are a bit dull and suffer from spending too much time developing characters who aren't particularly interesting, but Scott's expert direction and Michael Fassbender's work carry the film once the action begins to ramp up. Most of the scenes in which the xenomorphs wreak havoc are fun to watch, and some of them (especially the one with the medical quarantine) crackle with tension. More importantly, Fassbender all but walks away with the film at numerous points. Between his performance in these films and his three turns as Magneto in the X-Men films, it's great to see a talented serious actor approach genre films with the same level of commitment on display in his more sophisticated films. I already found his performance as the android David to be one of the better and more fascinating parts of Prometheus, but he may be even just a click better here in a dual role that he tears into with relish. Admittedly, despite the successes the film racks up between the 40 and 110 minute marks, it does stumble once again in its closing minutes with an all-too-obvious twist that doesn't quite land, but the product as a whole gets the job done as a gory sci-fi romp.

B

Stray thoughts:

1.) Kudos to Danny McBride for actually doing a pretty solid job in a straight role. I was certain his presence was bound to be a distraction, but he works well in the role.

2.) Silly me: after what a light R Prometheus ended up being, I went into this one expecting something similar. Even though it's still well within the confines of R-rated violence, however, there were still a few scenes that had me wincing and squirming.

Spoiler

3.) So... that ending. I knew we were in for a Walter/David switcheroo as soon as we didn't see Walter finish killing David. For a film to work so hard to get the audience to hate a character only to then portray his "death" offscreen screams "HE'S NOT DEAD!" Nevertheless, it went long enough without David doing anything so transparently evil that I hoped perhaps it was just one last little misdirect (in which Daniels would mistakenly doubt that Walter is truly Walter) and we wouldn't get a "shocking" reveal that it was David the whole time. As written and edited, it's a lazy twist, but it gets two things right. First, the fact that the potential for the twist is in savvy viewers' minds sets it apart from Life's incredibly stupid "dark twist for the sake of a dark twist" ending. Second, while I wasn't necessarily a fan of how the twist was written, I totally dug the way Scott shot it. The eerie bookends with David creepily failing to connect with human beings work well. One mistreats him in the beginning, so he mistreats them in the end - binary thinking that fits with his binary coding.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

As somebody who liked Prometheus, I found this to be a bit of a downgrade.  I have no desire to see it again, but I was entertained and still enjoyed it overall.

Fassbender is the best part of the movie, especially the alter egos of David and Walter.  Not sure what I think of the ending, however.

I could have used more tension building scenes and more of the Alien.  A lot of the character building scenes don't add much because they never make you more interested in the characters, beyond Fassbender.  The tone was also a little jarring, as if it wasn't sure what approach it wanted to take.

There's also a lot that ends up feeling like retreads of Alien and Prometheus, just not as effective.  I also didn't find the twist at the end effective, when you don't see David die you automatically assume he's not dead and swapped with Walter. It felt lazy and didn't add anything to the film imo.

There's also a lot of really dumb character choices that wouldn't happen with people you'd presume are experienced experts.  But they're also easy to overlook and don't detract too much from the film.

On the other side, there's some really great visual set pieces.  It's a beautiful film to watch, and the creative design keeps you immersed in the world.  It feels living and breathing.

It's enjoyable, and worth your time to go see, especially if you're a big Alien fan.  It's obviously not nearly as good as Alien or Aliens.  It's overall a mixed bag, that lends itself to being enjoyable overall.

B-/C+

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

I know this films drawing a lot of mixed reactions but count me in the group that really liked it and I am not a fan of Prometheus. I thought the answers this provided were a lot more thought provoking and I loved certain elements that I didn't see coming involving David (and this has been a huge theme since the beginning with Ash).

I heard that the characters were all really stupid beforehand but I didn't think any of their decisions were as dumb as some of the stuff in Prometheus. Yes some wander away during moments that they shouldn't (classic horror cliches) but outside of that, everything else is curiosity. There's no scene where a scientist is commenting how cute a creature is (when it's clearly terrifying) and trying to touch it. There are also no really cheesy moments like the Weyland daughter reveal or the Irish guy coming back to life or Shaw running around just fine after that totally unnecessary C section scene or the Prometheus school of running away from things.

But some people aren't going to like the answers this movie gives. Me though? I thought David could do everything that they proposed. He was left on that planet for 9 years with a lot of Engineer DNA and probably more weapons bases.

I know a lot of people wanted answers from Prometheus like why the Engineers created humans but I never did. I can accept that they created us because they could (like humans created the synthetics in these movies) and they wanted to kill us because they were unhappy with what their creation had become (or again, because they could). And I kind of like the idea that the face hugger/xenomorph started out as a biological weapon. If that's what they were designed to do, then this kind of explains why they are always in attack mode trying to kill in previous movies instead of protecting themselves. However, I completely agree that this all could have been left mysterious (aka Halloween vs Halloween Remake).

And as far as David...he was already showing signs of playing god in Prometheus when he infected Holloway. I never saw him as a good guy. The only reason Shaw took him at the end of that movie was because he could fly the ship. She even asked "Why would I ask for your help!". So I could see him unleashing that virus and killing the planet off when he saw how that one Engineer reacted to meeting Weyland. I could see him experimenting for years to try to create the perfect creature. I could see him killing Shaw (after she repaired him) to satisfy his curiosity and I'm glad they didn't actually show that. The image Danni finds and it's implications was far more disturbing. And I'm a sucker for AI theories and I loved the conversation between David and Walter.

But yeah...the trailer kind of gave the whole third act away because anyone watching is going to be like "uh where's the ship part?" And thankfully the characters reasoning to put themselves in that shower is more understandable then I was expecting.

It also made sense for Chris to put his face up to the egg because synthetics aren't supposed to harm humans. Stupid yeah...but I could see someone doing it after being told it's safe. But what I didn't understand in this part is how another facehugger got out when the other two guys find this area. I thought there is only one per egg and they need a human host? The one that kills Chris, I thought would die off like in Alien but I guess there could have been more around or someone could have set more off?

Overall not in the same league as Alien or Aliens but far better then all the others. Highly recommend revisiting Prometheus before going to see this as Covenant continues many plot lines from it. I guessed the David/Walter twist far in advance but like most critics have said, it didn't really bother me because I thought the rest was effective.

If anything I thought the weakest stuff revolved around the actual xenomorph in the third act. That whole final scene aboard the ship didn't have anywhere near the intensity of the first movie. The walls seemed too clean, not enough blaring lights or audio. But I loved a lot of the other big set pieces like the attack in the grass near the beginning (when David shows up) which reminded me a lot of the raptor scene from The Lost World. 

And damn, this is a gorgeous movie in IMAX 2D. Wish more movies would get rid of the stupid 3D gimmick and go that route.

I dunno. I liked the characters, I liked the music, it looked great, it had great effects, it was thought provoking and it was bloody. I really liked it. (And I watched Alien, Aliens and Prometheus all week leading up to it - I've forgotten the other 2 exist for good reason)

So far this summers off to a much better start then last year.

B+

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

Ridley Scott: I have a great idea!
Fox: Yeah! Good for you! How much will it cost?
Ridley Scott: $50m... Maybe...
Fox: OK. Let's say we give you $100m. But then you gotta have these scenes in the film: [2 scenes from ALIEN, 2 scenes from ALIENS]
Ridley Scott: Well... 100m doesn't sound too bad... Then I can make the cinematography look really good...
Fox: Hey! Stop... Cinematography... What's that?... Just do your work...

I was pretty cynical going in, but I really liked it. I don't know that I'd call it great in any conventional sense, but it was all very effective and it lacked the wonkiness of Prometheus. What largely surprised me was how much better the Prometheus sequel was than the Alien reboot. I think at this point what I'd really like to see (but isn't going to happen, now) is Ridley Scott doing more Prometheus movies while somebody fresh (Jeremy Saulnier would be a dream, I'd also be fascinated to see what Adam Wingard could do) makes a proper Alien sequel, which as good as Aliens is and as much as I like Alien 3, we've never gotten. I just want somebody (other than the Creative Assembly, who made easily my second favorite Alien property in Alien: Isolation) who gets what made Alien such a fucking classic and captures it with something fresh. James Cameron wasn't up to the challenge and made a James Cameron popcorn flick, which is great if you're into that, but I think it really derailed the potential for the franchise before it even got going.

Back to Covenant: The cast is strong all around and the dialogue is solid, and that goes a long way in keeping the audience invested when things get hairy. Even obvious red shirts I found myself kind of rooting for. The lead actress is a strong choice and I hope she doesn't Rapace'd between now and the next film, and I was shocked at how straight Danny McBride's character was played (not that I was surprised by how good he was in that regard, he's displayed that versatility before in his Jody Hill collaborations). Fassbender is terrific and David remains a fascinating character and a much scarier villain than any of the xenomorphs in this movie (though I will say those pseudo-xenos that do most of the damage are pretty freaky in their own right).

I'll give it a very strong 7/10. Pretty much all of the best aspects of Prometheus (aside from the cinematography) with none of the goofy crap, with a mediocre Alien movie occasionally slipping to the cracks. I hope Scott figures out how to better blend the two styles together in the future--please, no dumbass "the Alien interrupts a sex scene!" gags that belong in Friday the 13th and not Alien or Prometheus.

I'll also say that I liked the David twist purely for how obvious it is. It's completely telegraphed, and then so much time is spent committing to it, it's a pretty fun stinger when he slips to reveal himself right after it's too late.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, K1stpierre said:

one of the biggest later when "captain guy" (dont remember his name) went down with David and saw the eggs.......AND STUCK HIS FACE IN IT. Um, WHAT?! Are these guys suppose to be like scientists or at least a human with half a brain? David is probably sitting there thinking "fucking idiot".

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

After dividing audiences with the ambitious but occasionally frustrating Prometheus, Ridley Scott's latest return to the Alien universe is a moderately successful effort to bring the franchise closer to its roots. The first 40 minutes or so are a bit dull and suffer from spending too much time developing characters who aren't particularly interesting, but Scott's expert direction and Michael Fassbender's work carry the film once the action begins to ramp up. Most of the scenes in which the xenomorphs wreak havoc are fun to watch, and some of them (especially the one with the medical quarantine) crackle with tension. More importantly, Fassbender all but walks away with the film at numerous points. Between his performance in these films and his three turns as Magneto in the X-Men films, it's great to see a talented serious actor approach genre films with the same level of commitment on display in his more sophisticated films. I already found his performance as the android David to be one of the better and more fascinating parts of Prometheus, but he may be even just a click better here in a dual role that he tears into with relish. Admittedly, despite the successes the film racks up between the 40 and 110 minute marks, it does stumble once again in its closing minutes with an all-too-obvious twist that doesn't quite land, but the product as a whole gets the job done as a gory sci-fi romp.

B

Stray thoughts:

1.) Kudos to Danny McBride for actually doing a pretty solid job in a straight role. I was certain his presence was bound to be a distraction, but he works well in the role.

2.) Silly me: after what a light R Prometheus ended up being, I went into this one expecting something similar. Even though it's still well within the confines of R-rated violence, however, there were still a few scenes that had me wincing and squirming.

Hide contents

3.) So... that ending. I knew we were in for a Walter/David switcheroo as soon as we didn't see Walter finish killing David. For a film to work so hard to get the audience to hate a character only to then portray his "death" offscreen screams "HE'S NOT DEAD!" Nevertheless, it went long enough without David doing anything so transparently evil that I hoped perhaps it was just one last little misdirect (in which Daniels would mistakenly doubt that Walter is truly Walter) and we wouldn't get a "shocking" reveal that it was David the whole time. As written and edited, it's a lazy twist, but it gets two things right. First, the fact that the potential for the twist is in savvy viewers' minds sets it apart from Life's incredibly stupid "dark twist for the sake of a dark twist" ending. Second, while I wasn't necessarily a fan of how the twist was written, I totally dug the way Scott shot it. The eerie bookends with David creepily failing to connect with human beings work well. One mistreats him in the beginning, so he mistreats them in the end - binary thinking that fits with his binary coding.

I was thinking of the ending compared with Life's. Life just left me thinking how fucking dumb the ending was, whereas this made me go "Welp, they're fucked." Starting with David's revelation to Daniels, it just left me with such a sense of dread, and I can't wait for the next one.

Yeah, I don't know. I wanted more Alien and less Prometheus. It wasn't a bad movie at all. It was gorgeous and had great atmosphere. The characters were underdeveloped, but I still enjoyed their banter. Speaking of, they inexplicably cut an entire scene of all of them together bantering and I'm not sure why? It would've added to the development. Anyway:

David being the villain was dumb. I honestly wish we would've kept their origin ambiguous. I would've preferred David doing what he did because he was tired of being alone or wanted to get back to Earth or whatever, not because he wants to play God. Didn't see the need for it. Speaking of God, the captain, Bishop? The whole point of his character is to have someone among the cast who is a person of strong faith. Well 1. they never show us this. He never mentions God or prays or speaks strongly about it or anything. And 2. this is never expanded on. There should've been a heavy faith clash between him and one of the atheist characters. That's the whole point of him. 

Daniels was good, but her sole purpose was to be Ripley 3.0. Well she wasn't given much to do and never had a chance to reach those heights. Her climax was an obvious homage to the Ripley robot suit fight from Aliens, but it came and went so quick. Tennessee was awesome, but he wasn't given much to do either. Honestly, none of these guys were given much to do. Every character was written for a specific purpose and that was it. The whole point of sexy Callie Hernandez and Jussie Smollett being left on the ship is so they could have sex and get killed. They served no other purpose. Nothing and no one wasn't expanded on. Hell, after the "log cabin" scene, Daniels never thinks about or mentions her husband again. He died just because shes the "lead" and we need to feel something for her. Same with Tennessee. He was sad over his wife's death, but his demeanor didn't change.

My biggest question was why the hell did that engineer blue guy drink the black goo in Prometheus? Never got that answer. And while the engineer city was cool, it was still confusing. So they created us? How so? Who created them? Why don't we look like them and how are we different? Is the blue guy directly related to them or was he a descendant? How is their civilization so advanced yet so primitive? How exactly did David and Shaw know about it?

They made stupid decisions, but not as stupid as you'd think. Like Maggie? trapping Mrs Orem and ole boy. She was panicked. Yeah it was a bitch move, but understandable. Shooting at gas tanks is also stupid, but if that situation was really happening and an eyeless murder squid was chasing you, would you take the time to run out or just freeze and lay heavy suppressive fire? We'd all do the latter. On the flip side, Mr. Orem investigating the egg, now that was stupid. He should've said "no I'm fine David" and David blindside attack him with the facehugger or something. He had zero reason to trust David, and after seeing the wiggling, shouldve stepped away.

The shower sex scene had more potential. The Xenomorphs were cool and it was cool to introduce a white one (diversity), but as someone else said, now it feels more like nostalgia. And other than the scene when Tennessee comes to save the day, all the scenes with the xenos went by too quick to really savor it.

It wasn't a bad movie at all and I was never really bored (though the David/Walter scenes were a little of a snooze), but I wanted more Alien horror. I didnt mind the Prometheusness, but I just don't like how some of it was handled ie evil David, not learning the goo, seeing nothing from Shaw, them not questioning the giant ass ship, etc. 

The David/Walter twist also. It was too obvious. If we had to go down that route, it would've been better if they had just showed us him killing Walter, while still keeping Daniels and Tennessee oblivious, rather than making you sit and anticipate something you already know.

I guess I'll go with a C. I'll watch it again at some point, but I'm disappointed. Wanted more expanded characters, longer xeno tension, less God David, and a definitive answer to the black goo waterfall suicide.

Ps they were bold with that early abortion scene. Was not expecting that at all.

Pss "I'll do the fingering", lol.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 2

I was thinking of Life a lot during this film. Alien's influence on Life is so transparently obvious that it's hard not to compare Life with an Alien sequel, and this film goes right just about everywhere that Life falters. I guess it's the difference between having a pro like Ridley Scott calling the shots, as opposed to a relative novice like Daniel Espinosa.

14 hours ago, K1stpierre said:

First of all, it makes ZERO sense to go to a planet you just found out randomly when the other planet you have alluded to saying they've studied it, ran test run simulations, were extremely cautious. However, one weird distress signal and then boom, okay, let's just go to this planet for no reason other than it looks great and it's close (the whole pod scare to me was lame, sorry).

Hmmm. I think I can touch on some of this.

Actually it did sort of make sense. The new unknown planet had an approval rating of like 98% compared to the 67% of the other planet. Regardless of whether you thought the pod emergency scene worked or not...I wouldn't want to be going back into a pod right after that either. They had just watched one of their friends (and I believe the captain) get burned alive. The reason they went there was because it scanned a lot higher then the other planet and the audio they picked up was American music.

I think they should have done it a different way, like have another crew circle back to it but its reasonable for them to have wanted to check it out at some time. 

And then they're down there on a planet they have no idea about, and are walking around helmetless! I know it's a breathable planet, but seriously? You still should be wearing hazard outfits as you have no idea what toxins or harmfull chemicals you could be in contact with. Which, clearly does NOT cross the mind of anyone there as one dude when they find the ship, he's sticking his face in those pores and squeezing them and shit, and alas, he breathes the shit in. I mean.....come on now.

Again they scanned the environment and it had like a 98% approval rating so they thought they didn't need it and to be fair they actually didn't. The only time a crew member is infected is when one unintentionally steps on an egg and another touches one (yes this is stupid but not as stupid as the scientist trying to pet the creature in Prometheus). When pressure is put on the egg, that bacteria is immediately released into the air (weird how it chooses to only infect those two guys instead of everyone in their immediate vicinity though - ding!). The other guy who is messing with the wheat when they first arrive was not infected.

I think they should have worn helmets anyway but I can understand why they wouldn't with the convincing trap David laid out. It's actually possible that David put those eggs in that area because they were searching for the location of the signal and he had 9 years to lure an unsuspecting crew to this planet.

There werea lot of dumb moments in this movie and I can't remember them all, one of the biggest later when "captain guy" (dont remember his name) went down with David and saw the eggs.......AND STUCK HIS FACE IN IT. Um, WHAT?! Are these guys suppose to be like scientists or at least a human with half a brain? David is probably sitting there thinking "fucking idiot".

Correct, David was thinking fucking idiot but he lured him into doing that with a false sense of safety. Chris (the captain) had only worked with Walter and remember, Walter told David that through the years synthetics had been improved to be less human with the latest models. The Walter model Chris was familiar with was not designed to harm anyone. Chris didn't know that David was a completely different beast so assumed that he was programmed to tell him the truth like Walter. Right before he sticks his head over the egg, David tells him "Go ahead and take a look, I assure you it's perfectly safe".

This whole scene was obviously meant to show the birth of one of cinemas most terrifying creations because we as the audience obviously knew what was coming from seeing the previous films (the score even reflected it). While Chris leaned over, David looked down with smug satisfaction like a cat toying with it's unsuspecting prey because he probably was thinking "what an inferior creature." At one point he even tells Danni that "curiosity killed the cat" after she discovers his lair.

Now to be fair, Chris should have assumed something was off with David after shooting the alien that David was trying to shield. But I can let that go a little easier because David immediately switches back into AI mode when Chris demands to know what's going on...so I guess he assumed he was still programmed to follow orders.

I'm sorry, but it's absolutely incredulously lameto have our classic xenomorph be made by......a robot? Seriously? Was Scott drinking when he wrote this shit? And how would an andriod know how to do any of that??? Like come on now, I get there's artificial intelligence and that some computers can think "creatively" (iput that in quotes as technically even a computers suppose "reasoning" still is embedded and wired around what we program in it), however this is flat out ridiculous. And why were all the Aliens different looking? Why did it matter if you ingested the spore and gave birthro one, or if you created a facehugger, facehugger on host, then host gives birth? And why would David even bother creating the eggs/facehuggers when the spores were already creating basically the same thing?

As much as I dislike Prometheus, this idea does work in that universe. David was shown to be very curious in that movie about existence. It's revealed in Covenant that he had more human attributes then other synthetics...and who created him? Weyland himself. And what was Weyland after? The meaning of life. So to me, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that David would continue on this same path and take after his creator. 

Covenant opens up with David telling Weyland that he is inferior to him which Weyland responds by ordering David to get him another drink. David was shown in Prometheus to break synthetic rules. He was the one who infected Holloway without telling him by tainting his drink. He was the one who wouldn't let Shaw escape the pod because he wanted to preserve the creature. The only reason Shaw even took him with her is because David told her he was the only one who could fly the ship and get them out of there.

My guess is David thought the engineers were also inferior to AI due to how primitive the lone engineer acted in his meeting with Weyland. David like Ash was fascinated with the weapon they created but might have held disdain for the creators themselves due to that exchange. 

During that scene David is ripped apart by the engineer so he knows they are still a threat to his existence...so in response David unleashes the weapon on their world to erase any danger to himself. I'm also guessing he felt he didn't need them alive anymore because he had their DNA on the ship along with a lot of their weapons.

Also remember we are only shown a small part of this planet and we are told that David has been here for 9 years in Covenant. As far as the other creations, it's possible there are other weapons bases we are not shown and David had a lot of time as shown by all the drawings and maps on the walls. I'm sure there was Engineer DNA left over after that extinction event and we have no idea what it's capabilities are. 

As far as the aliens, in Covenant if a human ingests one via that bacteria it is a different breed then the xenomorph. It's still not complete because it has that fleshed out appearance. So no they weren't creating the same thing. The actual xenomorphs didn't show up in Covenant until the facehuggers were revealed and killed Chris.

Now how would David know about the xenomorphs? Maybe paintings on the wall, information he found on the planet from searching, etc? Prometheus showed very similar etchings of the xenomorph in the engineers ship so they were probably responsible for creating them. And to me, it seemed like Davids goal was to replicate (or improve upon) that ultimate organism because he admired it so much.

As far as his reasoning, again it's explained in the opening that David was created to be more human then other synthetics. He was created by Weyland himself so you'd imagine that he would be pretty damn intelligent. This is just me, but I think it's very reasonable that he would continue on his goal of creation from Prometheus and have no issues with killing Shaw once she repaired him if it helped further that agenda.

So yeah, I know this probably isn't going to make you or anyone else like the movie anymore but just wanted to point some stuff out.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

I agree with @K1stpierre on pretty much everything.  I also hated that David defeated Walter.  There's  no way he would have defeated a synthetic that is a new model.  Walter told him he had upgrades so that part really pissed me off.  I'll write more later.

6/10

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jandrew said:

My biggest question was why the hell did that engineer blue guy drink the black goo in Prometheus? Never got that answer. 

That was supposed to mean the creation of human life, I think.

So they created us?

Yes.

How so?
that is never truly explained, but someone suggests later in the film that Engineers created us because they could and/or to use us as prey for the Alien (the perfect killing machine). Sort of a experiment on their part.

Why don't we look like them and how are we different?

We might not be exactly the same, but we do look a lot like them. Naturally, the particularities of each planet molded each species accordingly. 

How is their civilization so advanced yet so primitive?

It looks primitive to us. Species from different planets most certainly wouldn't hold the same standards of 'advancement'

12 hours ago, baumer said:

I agree with @K1stpierre on pretty much everything.  I also hated that David defeated Walter.  There's  no way he would have defeated a synthetic that is a new model.  Walter told him he had upgrades so that part really pissed me off.  I'll write more later.

6/10

It's implied that Walter didn't have the courage to kill David and died because of that, not because he was or wasn't more advanced.

• Like 1

When Fassbender kissed Fassbender I literally imploded. Greatest scene in the history of film-making. 

James Franco was incredible as well. I never saw anyone burning so well while sleeping and after that floating into space with such magnificence. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

When Fassbender kissed Fassbender I literally imploded. Greatest scene in the history of film-making. 

James Franco was incredible as well. I never saw anyone burning so well while sleeping and after that floating into space with such magnificence. 

"I'll do the fingering" is the greatest line in cinematic history.

• Like 1