Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

I think they should've moved certain films like The Mummy, Valerian, and Apes to August, I could see all three really breaking out in August.

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

It wasn't THAT long ago that Disney was the king of this, what with Prince of Persia, Sorcerer's Apprentice, John Carter, Lone Ranger, and we'll go as recent as Tomorrowland.

They've found their formula though.

Paramount and Sony haven't done great recently. Universal at one point was putting out so many flops they had to fire the entire management team. 

3 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

That's on the light side for marketing a big tentpole worldwide. 

So I guess the old metric of half again the production budget no longer holds? That would have given 87.5M for a 175M budget and 50M for the pre-reshoot 100M budget.

What would be on the moderate and heavy side, 150M and 200M? Or is it more like 200M and 300M?

24 minutes ago, kdx125 said:

So I guess the old metric of half again the production budget no longer holds? That would have given 87.5M for a 175M budget and 50M for the pre-reshoot 100M budget.

What would be on the moderate and heavy side, 150M and 200M? Or is it more like 200M and 300M?

As far as I know, what what I've seen high-end is 130-170m for major tentpoles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Paramount and Sony haven't done great recently. Universal at one point was putting out so many flops they had to fire the entire management team. 

Compared to Sony and Paramount, WB are in a much better position and they have smaller films from New Line to balance out the tentpoles plus films like Sully and The Accountant. The New Line films last summer were all profitable 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

The first made 333.2 M.

Through Sunday GOTG was at 176 million. Near worst case scenario for GOTG 2 is 240. Considering the movies this week sucked, Im not sure how it would even be possible not to break 332.

I think his point is it will probably be near 300 million by end of next Sunday 32 million in the follow 6 weeks seems VERY likely. 850+ million for this this frachise seems fantstic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tele Came Back said:

As far as I know, what what I've seen high-end is 130-170m for major tentpoles. 

Thanks, that makes sense. I was thinking in terms of the $300M that was rumored for TASM2, but the context of the rumors was that $300M was a truly outrageous amount, and "truly outrageous" would have to be some levels above just high-end. This Deadline article says that AoU and CA:CW were $180M, and those are movies that you'd expect a studio to market as heavily as was reasonable:

http://deadline.com/2016/05/captain-america-civil-war-opening-weekend-box-office-summer-records-1201750394/

24 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Through Sunday GOTG was at 176 million. Near worst case scenario for GOTG 2 is 240. Considering the movies this week sucked, Im not sure how it would even be possible not to break 332.

I think his point is it will probably be near 300 million by end of next Sunday 32 million in the follow 6 weeks seems VERY likely. 850+ million for this this frachise seems fantstic

I was not talking about worldwide numbers. I was talking about whether it would outgross the first, domestic. Now, even if it does, it won't be much. Considering higher ticket prices this year, it won't really expand much from the first. I was not expecting that. Now I wonder what DEADPOOL II would make next year.

Edited by kayumanggi

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

I was not talking about worldwide numbers. I was talking about whether it would outgross the first, domestic. Now, even if it does, it won't be much. Considering higher ticket prices this year, it won't really expand much from the first. I was not expecting that. Now I wonder what DEADPOOL II would make next year.

Deadpool 2 could benefit from getting 3D and a China release if Fox pushes for it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Deadpool 2 could benefit from getting 3D and a China release if Fox pushes for it.

Ah yes, 3D. Forgot about that. Wow, DEADPOOL really made 363 M without 3D huh. Is that the highest total for a movie without 3D since AVATAR started the trend?

• Like 1