Plain Old Tele

BOT: THE REVISITING -- now up, 1987! MINI-EXTENSION, deadline is tonight, June 25!

There were a lot more gems I've seen from this year than I there were.  

1. The Princess Bride
  2. Full Metal Jacket
  3. Evil Dead II
  4. Wall Street
  5. The Untouchables
  6. Spaceballs
  7. Raising Arizona
  8. Planes, Trains and Automobiles
  9. Near Dark
  10. Masters of the Universe
  11. Empire of the Sun
  12. Lethal Weapon
  13. Brave Little Toaster
  14. RoboCop
  15. Fatal Attraction
  16. Moonstruck
  17. The Last Emperor
  18. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3
  19. Predator
  20. Good Morning Vietnam!
  21. Dirty Dancing
  22. Adventures in Babysitting
  23. The Witches of Eastwick
  24. Lost Boys
  25. The Running Man

Some not so obvious FYC

near_dark.jpg

MPW-75507

51YxtWfTKEL.jpg

51+RH8+tAcL.jpg

7ba0691b7777b6581397456412a41390_500x735

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 7

Since I tend to forget which films were released which year from way back then, I had to check into it, and '87 was a pretty weak year for Animation. The Brave Little Toaster might be the highest profile American production, and it's, um, not that great.

Plus, it threaded the needle for Studio Ghibli. Castle in the Sky was '86, and 1988 gave us Totoro, and Grave of the Fireflies. As well as Akira. (So, uh, next year's run through the lists will be fun, I suppose.)

And it was also the era where OVAs were really starting to take off, so much of the anime output wasn't hitting theater screens at all.

Still, there's at least one which, even if it's overshadowed by the '88 trifecta, does stand as a pretty great '80s anime film:

honneamise-726389.jpg

It had a record budget and some stunning animation for the time, plus it was Gainax's first commercial work. Purportedly, they're working on a sequel and shooting to have it finally come out next year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

this "mediamass" site's whole MO for saying literally any reported celebrity death is a hoax true or not. probably just to reap traffic from people wondering if it's a hoax or not.  http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sites/media-mass

Edited by CoolioD1

9 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

RAW had a major theatrical release. It doesn't really matter that it was just a theatrical performance -- it counts just as if it was a concert film.

BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER was released in July 1987, but I don't know why BOM doesn't have any data on it.

It was apparently given a tiny theatrical release, so I can imagine the actual numbers might be hard to fine, I'd imagine.

8 hours ago, baumer said:

I'm going to vote Rutger hauer's Wanted Dead or Alive at number one just so that I can maybe hopefully ensure that it makes the list somehow. Seeing Gene Simmons play an Arab terrorist that gets his head blown off at the end when Rutger Hauer says "f*** the bonus" and then pulls the pin on the grenade, you don't see cool lines like that in movies anymore these days. :sparta:

That film is entertaining. Can't say it'll be on my list, but Simmons is definitely with the best villain deaths of 80's action films.