Plain Old Tele

Sunshine, Light, and Joy -- Bring Fun to the Forums

My limit is $20,000 on my credit card. I have no idea how I got that limit. I applied to it last year....I was 22 when I got it lol

But the most I've spent on one purchase is $2700 on a Mac Book. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

I know, right??? Now, If this was store that sold more than just lawn equipment, then I'd be all down for that high of credit limit, but as it stands, it's useless to have $4000 credit limit just to purchase a $500 Lawn Mower, but that's how these Banks are.. :thinking:

It's to make you spend more than you should then when your payment is due, you don't have enough and therefore they add interest/a late fee to the payment you already can't afford to make. 

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

My limit is $20,000 on my credit card. I have no idea how I got that limit. I applied to it last year....I was 22 when I got it lol

But the most I've spent on one purchase is $2700 on a Mac Book. 

20,000?!?!!!? ????

• Like 2

I have one credit card for $2,500.  I never needed more and never asked for more.  I have never even come close to the limit and never carry a balance either.  So I'm good either way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K1stpierre said:

???

53 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

20,000?!?!!!? ????

I had one for a little while, but it was too tempting to buy stuff I didn't really think was worth the price, so I cut it up and sent it back.  Now I stick to one lower one and AMEX (paid off each month).

31 minutes ago, 75live said:

I have one credit card for $2,500.  I never needed more and never asked for more.  I have never even come close to the limit and never carry a balance either.  So I'm good either way.

My limit is a bit higher, because I travel regularly, but that is the way to do it.  If you only pay the minimum it takes something like thirty years to pay off 6000 and you end up paying many multiples of that.

(I didn't quite make that up, it is pretty much like that, but I don't remember the precise numbers. There were all sorts of articles about it a year or so ago when they changed credit card rules)  The interest rate on credit cards is insane.  Don't think you are missing something good, here.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

This is really fantastic and great thinking on your guys' part. I think this is a huge problem on the Internet. If you look at the commentary threads on FB about almost any movie no matter how acclaimed, at least half of the commentary is negative. You would think everyone hated TFA or everyone thought Get Out was overrated or whatever else. It becomes the voice of negativity and for me as a huge movie buff I don't understand it. If I don't like something I'd rather just not talk about it and leave it alone. Unless it's pushed in my face or something but to seek out threads or forums for things I don't like just to bash them seems like it's just negative for myself and also negative for everyone else who enjoys those movies. I don't get what purpose it really serves. Of course healthy discussion is one thing but as you note here there's a difference between healthy discussion and just incessant bashing / negativity.

PS: The banks used to be far more generous with crazy limits. One of my first cards (Chase Visa) was also $20,000 and I was 20 years old. All based on a fake business, I mean I ran Websites but I didn't have an actual LLC or legitimate business at that point. Now most of my cards are $10,000 to $15,000 but I have like 7-8 cards including business. I've come close to maxing a few out sometimes, equipment purchases or whatnot, but yeah I never carry a balance. Anything below $5,000 is insulting though and I just would tell them to cancel it. I mean even one larger purchase is going to put that thing near its limit. 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 3