Plain Old Tele

Sunshine, Light, and Joy -- Bring Fun to the Forums

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Agreed...but it's the way you post.  Saying "XX the 500th sequel is the suckiest thing ever and it's gonna bomb" isn't helpful analysis of the movie.  Like for this weekend, as a non Alien fan (since the 2 originals - the only ones I've seen), I'd love to know what would or would not draw someone back for these prequels.  Is the series played out or is it filling in the blanks?  Can it draw GA or will it only draw lifers in the concept?  Giving me reasons and not just negativity (or positivity) is what I love to see on the boards.  

I agree, even the posts that aren't enthusiastic about the movie should offer something of value to the discussion.

If your criticism is just, "This sucks, it's bad and I hope you all feel bad", your comment is really just a waste of space.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

I think it might be good to put a warning in the thread when things are going to far and then if somebody continues give them an actual warning.  Because I can see how this line may be a bit blurry to some on what's just posting your opinion, and what's getting aggressive and mean-spirited.

Yes, we've generally tried to be pretty hands-off in the past -- with mixed results. We always prefer to do less moderating when it comes to opinion, if possible, but we're going to make an increased effort to stop this sort of stuff earlier rather than later.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Agreed...but it's the way you post.  Saying "XX the 500th sequel is the suckiest thing ever and it's gonna bomb" isn't helpful analysis of the movie.  Like for this weekend, as a non Alien fan (since the 2 originals - the only ones I've seen), I'd love to know what would or would not draw someone back for these prequels.  Is the series played out or is it filling in the blanks?  Can it draw GA or will it only draw lifers in the concept?  Giving me reasons and not just negativity (or positivity) is what I love to see on the boards.  

Yes, I think thoughtful debates and discussion about a movie's quality is wonderful. But so often lately it seems to be increasingly personal: not only do people feel like someone's opposing opinion is an attack on them, if they don't like the movie, they feel like it's an attack on them. ALIEN: COVENANT is a good (non-comic book) example -- I get that it's possibly a frustrating and/or polarizing movie, but as someone who hasn't seen it yet, I'd prefer to get more than just a lot of repetitious angry ranting.

And I know I've done my share of angry ranting too, so this is directed at me as well as everyone else. It's not pointed only at general members. It's a good reminder for all of us.

• Like 11

Something like Power Rangers didn't interest me and it certainly didn't look good either.  However if a fan was looking forward to it for a few years then I hope for their sake the film was what they hoped for.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Citizen Kane still sucks.

Actually, I think this is worth commenting on. If you feel the need to really make sure you wanna remind someone about a thing you hate, if you do it with some humor and more than a bit of self-awareness, it really helps make it funnier as opposed to nasty. (This is what you usually do, Baumer -- at least in my opinion). Always a good idea to remember our iron-clad opinion -- no matter how widely accepted -- is still the vast, vast minority compared to all of humanity. 

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'm glad you guys are finally going to look into @MrPink's rampage

I am the victim with all the hair bullying!

But I never once complained! IM A MAN, IM 40

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

We're going to take each case and incident on its own, but yes, we will "encourage" people to have a greater view than just that.

darth-vader-force-choke-stimulated-bored

I agree, no studio is perfect but it's unfair to shit on them just because they've had a bomb or two. I know in the WW thread, Warner Bros is seen as the devil but I think and others such as yourself have pointed out that they're in good shape.

• Like 1