grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

5 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

With all due respect, that is not an average. You are counting snap shots in time which really yield no value in and of themselves. You could count 19 one minute and 50 the next. 

I count in 5 -10m intervals and then avg out the score.

Even so the difference between minutes in a 5 -10 minute span usually aren't that great when dealing larger ticket numbers.  More like 17, 22, 19, 22, 18 etc.  The swings in % are bigger with lower tickets sales like 5, 2, 1, 6, 3.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The only Ridley Scott movie that opened in less than 2,100 theaters this millennium is A Good Year (not counting Black Hawk Down's limited release where it went 4/16/3,100), and none have opened in less than 2k. I don't see it getting less than 2k theaters, especially now that it has some buzz behind it.

I fully expect All the Money in the World will be changed to a limited release for Christmas and open wide in January at the last second. Sony has no time to promote it.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, raegr said:

THAT'S WHAT I DID! Still got 30s

I counted for the same 5 minute interval twice to double check.

Do you have a link for the comparative SM # you posted?  I looked back to July 4th and can't find it and didn't note any in my chart  fr that day except for 10pm (25)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Presales may not be just OW based. Like mentioned by actual theater employees, JL has a 10 day schedule published already. Families can buy tickets for Thanksgiving viewing etc. I would say the presales number for JL is a 10-day number vs the 3-day number for BvS. Might be a lower percentage past the 3 days but BvS has like 55% of presales for OD IIRC

Makes sense

Just now, Jonwo said:

I'm guessing even Christian families saw the light and skipped this for Wonder. 

Sony's other Christian flick this year, All Saints, performed like shit in presales yet SOMEHOW kept the biggest auditoriums for two weeks here :winomg: 

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Star Wars: 4,200+

Jumanji: 3,900

Greatest Showman: 3,800

Pitch Perfect: 3,500

Ferdinand: 3,200

Money: 2,500

Downsizing: 2,200

Father Figures: 2,000

Darkest Hour: 1,800

Why would you think so? I would guess more like Les Miserables or Into the woods around 2500 to 3000.

Just now, Poseidon said:

Why would you think so? I would guess more like Les Miserables or Into the woods around 2500 to 3000.

Fox seems to be giving it priority over Ferdinand. I could see both being in the low-3000s but just feel TGS could be in the higher range. idk

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sony's other Christian flick this year, All Saints, performed like shit in presales yet SOMEHOW kept the biggest auditoriums for two weeks here :winomg: 

That was in dead August, The Star will be lucky if it's still around by Christmas.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Has anyone actually examined how these numbers translate to the OW?

Yes...

It's not exact of course but comparisons of rate of sales at comparative times and of comparative genres usually gives a good ball park figure.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes...

It's not exact of course but comparisons of rate of sales at comparative times and of comparative genres usually gives a good ball park figure.

It is a bit of a shifting landscape for sure too though.  Regal, Cinemark, AMC are pushing reservations on their loyalty programs.  As I mentioned before AMC says now half of online presales are through their stubs app/website which has been growing fast