grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, filmlover said:

I hope it does well just to keep the Chalamania train rolling (even though he's supposedly not in it much lol).

I heard it's less than a minute.

But like, I've seen more commercials for Hostiles than any movie in the past two weeks and it's making me feel bad. 

On 1/16/2018 at 7:49 PM, WrathOfHan said:

All the Money in the World, Ferdinand, Molly's Game, and Pitch Perfect 3 are gone.

12 Strong: 4 (Biggest)

Den of Thieves: 4 (Average and 2nd Smallest)

Forever My Girl: 4 (Average)

The Commuter: 4 (Flat; Average)

Darkest Hour: 4 (Flat; Average)

The Greatest Showman: 4 (Flat; Average)

Insidious: The Last Key: 4 (Flat; Average and 2nd Smallest)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 4 (Flat; 2 2D/2 3D; Average)

Paddington 2: 4 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

The Post: 4 (Flat; 2nd Biggest)

Proud Mary: 4 (Flat; Smallest)
Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 3 (Flat; 2 2D/1 3D; 4th Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Darkest Hour, Insidious: The Last Key, and Proud Mary are gone.

Hostiles: 4 (Average)

Maze Runner: The Death Cure: 4 (Average)

The Shape of Water: 2 (Biggest)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: 2 (Return; Biggest)

12 Strong: 4 (Flat; 2nd Biggest)

The Commuter: 4 (Flat; Average)

Den of Thieves: 4 (Flat; Average)

Forever My Girl: 4 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

The Greatest Showman: 4 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 4 (Flat; 2 2D/2 3D; Average)

Paddington 2: 4 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

The Post: 4 (Flat; Average)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 3 (Flat; 2 2D/1 3D; Smallest)

During the weekend, Maze Runner is in the biggest while SOW/3B are in an average auditorium.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

My theater is just getting The Shape of Water and Three Billboards sharing a screen. Well, at least I have fish sex.

My theater is pairing up those two, Call Me by Your Name and Lady Bird on a screen (Statistics Rapper/Now Oscar Nominee Lil' Timmy Tim, his powa!), and Dunkirk and Darkest Hour on the same screen (how fitting). Theater gonna be busy this weekend.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I knew my theater would be playing it super conservative this weekend. Should've put The Commuter and Paddington on a split screen to get Phantom Thread and maybe something else

Chances are theater owners weren't expecting Phantom Thread to get a Best Picture nomination (seems fair, since most weren't) plus it just opened in wide release. It'll probably add a few hundred next week depending on what the uptick this week looks like.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lol, Maze Runner only has the biggest auditorium here for the weekend; SOW and 3B take it over during the week :lol: 

Same, it's only getting one screen here. Then again, theater currently has half their screens open and would likely much rather book up the Oscar fare (which is certain to sell out here) than a second print of a film that will likely underperform.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Get Out is getting a re-release too!

BTW, the Orlando Cinemark is putting CMBYN down to one showing late at night this weekend. I take it a BP nomination won't be enough for some theaters.

It probably wasn't making much in that area to begin with. It's coming back to a handful of theaters around here this weekend (and had to drop it due to the January new releases - keep in mind it opened in this area right before Christmas, and it went to other theaters in the area that it probably didn't do so well at) and will likely see big surges in metropolitan areas, where it kinda got pushed to the side for newer specialty fare.

Meanwhile, Phantom Thread doesn't appear to be adding any locations this weekend. I'm guessing Focus wasn't expecting a Best Picture nom either (although they already had its heavily-advertised wide release last weekend so they'll probably wait and see).

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It probably wasn't making much in that area to begin with. It's coming back to a handful of theaters around here this weekend (and had to drop it due to the January new releases - keep in mind it opened in this area right before Christmas, and it went to other theaters in the area that it probably didn't do so well at) and will likely see big surges in metropolitan areas, where it kinda got pushed to the side for newer specialty fare.

Meanwhile, Phantom Thread doesn't appear to be adding any locations this weekend. I'm guessing Focus wasn't expecting a Best Picture nom either (although they already had its heavily-advertised wide release last weekend so they'll probably wait and see).

If Phantom Thread isn't gaining any theaters, it should have a 30-35% increase like Lion

Edited by WrathOfHan