grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

MovieTickets.com Live Update 

1) 88% Avengers: Infinity War

2) 1.9% Quiet Place, A

3) 1.8% I Feel Pretty

4) 1.1% Rampage

5) 0.8% Deadpool 2

Deadpool 2 makes a first appearance in the Top 5. 15 minutes ago, #5 was Super Troopers 2 at 0.8%

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

MovieTickets.com Live Update 

1) 88% Avengers: Infinity War

2) 1.9% Quiet Place, A

3) 1.8% I Feel Pretty

4) 1.1% Rampage

5) 0.8% Deadpool 2

Deadpool 2 makes a first appearance in the Top 5. 15 minutes ago, #5 was Super Troopers 2 at 0.8%

The Merc With the Mouth is coming 

:ohmygod:

I am not surprised at all to see DP2 entering the two Top Five charts.  It's been selling a steady clip of tickets here in Sacratomato.  Probably a tick or two under BP's pace at the same point in time (and from a MUCH smaller start), but still significant enough for me to notice.

The first showings on the best screens in town are still filling out, slowly.  And many showings haven't sold a single ticket yet.  But the spiral-out pattern is nonetheless pretty clear.  Sell at the 7pm good theaters nearby first, then start slowly edging into the 9pm showings. The Double Feature (4pm or 4:30pm depending on theater whim) is also selling fairly well.

---

Now don't get me wrong, it's not crushing it in presales.  For instance, this was the spread as of last night:

Front Two Rows or less (or equivalent): 2/73 [reserved seating only]

Percentage breakdown of seats sold per showing:

100%

90%-99%

80%-89%

70%-79%

60%-69%

50%-59%

40%-49%

30%-39%

20%-29%

10%-19%

0%-9%

But for something that isn't Star Wars and isn't Avengers/Black Panther, it is doing pretty well in presales, IMO.  The one curiosity is that it hasn't sold all that many tickets at the local TrueIMAX theater in town (Double Feature: 72/377 sold | 9:30 pm 71/377 sold | 11:59pm 0/377 sold), when it usually competes with Century Arden for being First Choice Destination.

Dunno exactly what that says, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I am not surprised at all to see DP2 entering the two Top Five charts.  It's been selling a steady clip of tickets here in Sacratomato.  Probably a tick or two under BP's pace at the same point in time (and from a MUCH smaller start), but still significant enough for me to notice.

The first showings on the best screens in town are still filling out, slowly.  And many showings haven't sold a single ticket yet.  But the spiral-out pattern is nonetheless pretty clear.  Sell at the 7pm good theaters nearby first, then start slowly edging into the 9pm showings. The Double Feature (4pm or 4:30pm depending on theater whim) is also selling fairly well.

---

Now don't get me wrong, it's not crushing it in presales.  For instance, this was the spread as of last night:

Front Two Rows or less (or equivalent): 2/73 [reserved seating only]

Percentage breakdown of seats sold per showing:

100%

90%-99%

80%-89%

70%-79%

60%-69%

50%-59%

40%-49%

30%-39%

20%-29%

10%-19%

0%-9%

But for something that isn't Star Wars and isn't Avengers/Black Panther, it is doing pretty well in presales, IMO.  The one curiosity is that it hasn't sold all that many tickets at the local TrueIMAX theater in town (Double Feature: 72/377 sold | 9:30 pm 71/377 sold | 11:59pm 0/377 sold), when it usually competes with Century Arden for being First Choice Destination.

Dunno exactly what that says, but it's interesting nonetheless.

FWIW it's not selling well at the IMAX near me either. I'm wondering if folks who paid extra for an IMAX ticket for the first one realize it's not worth it for the film. 

I mean its selling really well near me for the 2D showings (obviously not like SW, Avengers, BP) so if I compare like a 2D showing to an IMAX showing, the IMAX showing is lagging behind lol 

Just checked. For the 9:15PM showing at the IMAX theater it's sold 30 tickets. That theater has regular seats so I can't see what it's sold at the other showings for Thursday night but for example at my theater the 7PM showing is sold out save for the front row and the 10PM showing has sold 85 tickets. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean its selling really well near me for the 2D showings (obviously not like SW, Avengers, BP) so if I compare like a 2D showing to an IMAX showing, the IMAX showing is lagging behind lol 

I can believe that.  Here's the compare/contrast with Century Arden:

Arden

Perct Sold

7:00 (2D)

77.64%

8:00 (2D)

63.98%

10:00 (2D)

31.68%

11:00 (2D)

17.39%

9:00 (2D)

55.77%

4:00 (2D)

23.08%

Is doing just a tiny bit better than the Esquire IMAX. :lol:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Porthos said:

I can believe that.  Here's the compare/contrast with Century Arden:

Arden

Perct

7:00 (2D)

77.64%

8:00 (2D)

63.98%

10:00 (2D)

31.68%

11:00 (2D)

17.39%

9:00 (2D)

55.77%

4:00 (2D)

23.08%

Is doing just a tiny bit better than the Esquire IMAX. :lol:

Just two areas but I'm thinking IMAX is going to be a non factor for this film. I mean I'm a huge fan and I have no intention to see it in IMAX because I don't think it's a film that needs to be seen in that format :P

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nova said:

Just two areas but I'm thinking IMAX is going to be a non factor for this film. I mean I'm a huge fan and I have no intention to see it in IMAX because I don't think it's a film that needs to be seen in that format :P

Even in it's 4th w/e IMAX should probably just stick with IW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Even in it's 4th w/e IMAX should probably just stick with IW

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I don't disagree with this statement 

It's a good thing both of you do not manage a theater (presumably) as that is simply a poor business decision. A very rosy, almost best case scenario for AIW's 4th weekend would be in the $40M-$50M range. DP2 should gross at least $120M-$150M that weekend. DP2 will sell far more seats in an IMAX theater that weekend than AIW will. Sure maybe the 7:00 PM Friday night and Saturday night shows could sell out for AIW; but other showings, especially the first couple of showings and the last show of the night will sell far more tickets for DP2 than AIW.

12 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

It's a good thing both of you do not manage a theater (presumably) as that is simply a poor business decision. A very rosy, almost best case scenario for AIW's 4th weekend would be in the $40M-$50M range. DP2 should gross at least $120M-$150M that weekend. DP2 will sell far more seats in an IMAX theater that weekend than AIW will. Sure maybe the 7:00 PM Friday night and Saturday night shows could sell out for AIW; but other showings, especially the first couple of showings and the last show of the night will sell far more tickets for DP2 than AIW.

Depends on how well IW holds but from my view point DP2 in IMAX isn't selling anywhere close to what the 2D showings are so far. That could change as OW comes closer 

Just now, Nova said:

Depends on how well IW holds but from my view point DP2 in IMAX isn't selling anywhere close to what the 2D showings are so far. That could change as OW comes closer 

It's still three weekends away. If someone wants to see the film on opening weekend, do you think they are going to turn down an IMAX screen that is not sold out if all non-Imax screens are sold out? There will certainly be more people wanting to see DP2 on any screen that weekend than people wanting to see AIW only on an IMAX screen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

It's still three weekends away. If someone wants to see the film on opening weekend, do you think they are going to turn down an IMAX screen that is not sold out if all non-Imax screens are sold out? There will certainly be more people wanting to see DP2 on any screen that weekend than people wanting to see AIW only on an IMAX screen.

That's very true. I didn't think of it that way. So you're right it's a good thing I don't manage any theater chains :P

14 minutes ago, Nova said:

That's very true. I didn't think of it that way. So you're right it's a good thing I don't manage any theater chains :P

LcVZZzIZ.jpg.f2d04d918b2ffed0a263f23876e

There are times when the post and the avatar match up perfectly.  This was one of them. ;)

• Haha 1

Deadpool 2 Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-17 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

17.58%

Total Seats Sold Today:  83

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Thursday tickets are up at my theater; looks like they're only getting Bad Samaritan :winomg: 

My theatre is also getting that. And Isle of Dogs, which will do awful here. RIP our non-Avengers box office for the next week

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

My theatre is also getting that. And Isle of Dogs, which will do awful here. RIP our non-Avengers box office for the next week

Isle of Dogs' floppage here probably killed any chance of indies coming to my theater for a while :kitschjob: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

For new openers, my theater is only getting Bad Samaritan and Overboard. I admittedly kinda wanted to see my theater not pick anything up and get rid of ST2/RPO/Traffik (the latter is still playing for some reason), but I guess not. Ah well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Isle of Dogs' floppage here probably killed any chance of indies coming to my theater for a while :kitschjob: 

Goddammit :( probably gonna happen here too. Considering we already don't get enough indies, this sucks

• Sad 1