The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

T-0 days | Thursday, April 25, 2019 | 3:11PM MT

Avengers: Endgame

Cineplex Scotiabank Theatre Chinook - Calgary, AB

Thursday April 25, 2019

UltraAVX (3D) Atmos

7:00PM - 351/387 seats sold (91%)

11:00PM - 

*I know this isn't helpful whatsoever but I literally got no further than that. The Cineplex site has pretty much crashed*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

hah, there's a wait line for Endgame tickets on Fandango again... Also unless Fandango broke more than i thought it had my theater added another showing. 

That's....

Gonna be annoying. :kitschjob:

Just now, Stewart said:

Soooo.... Guess 5:45pm ain't happening then? :( 

Could always hit the corp websites. 👍

Also, I have my ways of dealing with waiting lines.

---

Not a deal breaker; just... annoying. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

---

The wait time was for a minute and it doesn't seem to be  happening anymore, not that it helps since there's still an error with looking at the showings at all.... sucks too since I can't see what theater the 2 new 9:55 showings are in, the company website says that all 3 9:55 showings that are listed are in the same theater though which seems bad.

Edited by Ledmonkey96

Just now, Porthos said:

---

operating20computersatonce.gif

Also when I tested it five minutes ago, I had less than a minute wait time.  Checking right this second, I didn't trigger the wait screen at all.

I reckon it's a flood control based on whatever server I ping when I make the check.  So hopefully won't be that bad. Just might have to add in some time on my check, worst comes to worst.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

20 tabs at once, but sure, close enough. ;)

I tried

I genuinely tried finding a gif of somebody madly operating 20 different computer screens but failed to find one. @MrPink I need your assistance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

20 tabs at once, but sure, close enough. ;)

Actually, considering the computer I'm doing the check on is a Threadripper, I could get away with 100 tabs at once  to beat the waiting queue should it appear, without even straining the thing.  But that's excessive, even for me. :lol:

Edited by Porthos
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

As the opening weekend gets more and more astronomical, do you think it’s more and more likely to see a very large (by MCU standards) drop next weekend? Like low-mid 60’s?

I’m getting Deathly Hallows 2 flashbacks where I’m feeling that no matter how amazing the reception is, having all the casual fans rushing out opening week will end up causing the numbers to ‘fall back to earth’ (in relative terms) once the rush is over.

• Like 2

Just now, dakus said:

As the opening weekend gets more and more astronomical, do you think it’s more and more likely to see a very large (by MCU standards) drop next weekend? Like low-mid 60’s?

I’m getting Deathly Hallows 2 flashbacks where I’m feeling that no matter how amazing the reception is, having all the casual fans rushing out opening week will end up causing the numbers to ‘fall back to earth’ (in relative terms) once the rush is over.

I don't think Domestic will ever turn into China, where the multipliers are getting smaller and smaller as the availability of movies to be watched by most on OW burns so much demand.

1 minute ago, dakus said:

Hmmmm the 2nd weekend record is 150mil, for TFA over Christmas, IW pulled 114mil. 

8 minutes ago, dakus said:

The one advantage Endgame has here is that it's a new story, which means probably a lot more rewatches than DH2. Other than that, to be honest, I have no idea how to predict legs when the OW is going so high

• Founder / Operator
2 hours ago, Nero said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-forecast-avengers-endgame/

@Shawn great analysis and thank you for getting on 300M train 😄

Thanks, @Nero! I felt like this one deserved as deep of a dive as I had time to give it. Now it's time for me to put the numbers away and enjoy the movie tonight. :)

• Like 4

My theatre did a stupid thing that's going to hurt numbers for tonight. Put the 3D in the biggest auditorium, and the 2D in the smaller ones. Which is fine I guess, except for the fact that the 3D starts way before the 2D ones. Considering most people opt for 2D, what's going to end up happening is all the 2D will sell out, and you've got these 3D shows that are only half or 3/4 full. While it would be smart to have the 2D start first in order to usher people towards buying a 3D ticket, the 3D showtime will already be 45 minutes in by the time the 2D shows start. 

Dumb. Gonna lose us probably 150+ tickets tonight. Which at a small theatre, is substantial. 

• Sad 1