grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I'm conflicted on Pika Pika. On the one hand, it should be favorable to walkups as a fun, family, franchise film (high five for alliteration!) On the other hand, the presales for a franchise film are lower than I'd expect at this stage.

I'll go $81 million OW. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Get back to me on Saturday morning.

Hide contents

I think $70M+ is still on the table, but I'd like to see how fandango presales look around Wednesday. This feels like such a wild card.

I mean the fact that it's range is now anywhere from 55 all the way to 79M is ridiculous and a huge indication of a wild card. I'm hoping for 75/80M.

Edited by Cappoedameron

7 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Get back to me on Saturday morning.

Hide contents

I think $70M+ is still on the table, but I'd like to see how fandango presales look around Wednesday. This feels like such a wild card.

So EG can keep its #1. Thanks. #1 True FSS for sure in that case. I guess John Wick won't be able to take EG down as well. 4 in a row. Wow.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So EG can keep its #1. Thanks. #1 True FSS for sure in that case.

Ah so you don't actually care for the movie, only that a movie that's been #1 for 2 weeks keeps it's slot good to know.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Haha 1

A few years ago, we had terrible abusing of the term “locked”, lots of members were so annoyed that some was calling for admins/mods to ban that word if they could lol.

I’m having serious case of deja vu due to a certain word atm.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Ah so you don't actually care for the movie, only that a movie that's been #1 for 2 weeks keeps it's slot good to know.

When it comes to box office, it really doesn't matter what movie is 1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever. This isn't a race. All that matters is dollars and cents. If Pika does $85M OW but still comes in 2nd, that's still great for Pika!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Sam said:

A few years ago, we had terrible abusing of the term “locked”, lots of members were so annoyed that some was calling for admins/mods to ban that word if they could lol.

I’m having serious case of deja vu due to a certain word atm.

But what word could you be talking about. It’s very mysterious. Unknown. Fundamentally difficult to predict. Perhaps, one might say, the word you mean is a real wildcard?  

Spoiler

Also over 136 is locked

• Haha 1

Pulse is back up. 👍

edited

Must have just happened this hour as akvalley's tracker hasn't picked up anything.  But I'm seeing entries for the 9pm PDT hour currently.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Mulder said:

Morning count, just Thursdays-

Aladdin-55, 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Detective Pikachu-117 (+4), 6 screenings (3 3D, 3 Regular)

John Wick-66 (+3), 4 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Regular)

Pikachu's really picking up and John Wick's not slowing down from yesterday.

Final count was busy today so didn't have time for a mid-day, just Thursdays-

Aladdin-58 (+3), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Detective Pikachu-117 (+4), 6 screenings (3 3D, 3 Regular) Final Week

John Wick-75 (+9), 4 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Regular)

In total today Aladdin sold 3 tickets, PikaPika sold 4 and John Wick had another insane day selling 9 tickets. I gotta be honest PikaPika not picking up as much as I figured it would, Aladdin seems...fine I guess. John Wick though holy fuck.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

When it comes to box office, it really doesn't matter what movie is 1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever. This isn't a race. All that matters is dollars and cents. If Pika does $85M OW but still comes in 2nd, that's still great for Pika!

I actually right now don't care if Pika gets #1 or not, it would be great if it did but I just want it to have a successful launch. It had a good one in Japan. Hopefully the rest of the world follows.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I actually right now don't care if Pika gets #1 or not, it would be great if it did but I just want it to have a successful launch. It had a good one in Japan. Hopefully the rest of the world follows.

Did it? Haven't followed it. If Japan likes it then that's a GREAT sign.

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Did it? Haven't followed it. If Japan likes it then that's a GREAT sign.

It did about as much as the usual Pokemon movie does in Japan.

POKEMON Detective Pikachu

Cineplex Scotiabank Theatre Chinook - Calgary, AB

Update: T-6 days to Thursday previews | 11:30PM PST

Thursday May 9, 2019

UltraAVX (3D)

6:00PM - 62/406 seats sold (15%)

9:30PM - 21/406 seats sold (5%)

Friday May 10, 2019

Spoiler

UltraAVX (3D)

7:30PM - 37/406 seats sold (9%)

10:10PM - 8/406 seats sold (2%)

UltraAVX

2:10PM - 18/406 seats sold (4%)

4:50PM - 18/406 seats sold (4%)

Saturday May 11, 2019

Spoiler

UltraAVX (3D)

7:30PM - 27/406 seats sold (7%)

10:10PM - 2/406 seats sold (.005%)

UltraAVX

2:10PM - 57/406 seats sold (14%)

4:50PM - 19/406 seats sold (5%)

Sunday May 12 2019

Spoiler

UltraAVX (3D)

7:30PM - 7/406 seats sold (2%)

10:10PM - 0/406 seats sold (0%)

UltraAVX

2:10PM - 3/406 seats sold (.007%)

4:50PM - 2/406 seats sold (.005%)

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Detective Pikachu Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-6 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

13.72%

NOTE::: The schedule for one of the local theaters has been unavailable for purchase for the last few days.  The same time most of the Cinema West theaters locally readjusted their schedules, this theater became completely unavailable, with the number of showings it had listed for opening night changing every day but no way to actually purchase tickets.  I chose to wait until tickets were once again able to be purchased before applying any changes.  It finally stabilized today, with all remaining showings now available for purchase. The number of showings lost is noted below.

Also, I either miscounted the number of seats for purchase at another theater or they shifted all showings to a larger auditorium.  This DID NOT AND HAS NOT affected the reported number of tickets sold, as I have been counting the actual seats sold at that theater.  The extra seats available to be purchased have been added to this and all future blocks.  The total number of seats that were removed after these two adjustments (one that removed seats, the other that added) is noted below.

Total Showings Added Today:                       2 (All non-reserved seating)

Total Showings Removed Today:                   6 (see note above)

Total Showings Adjusted Today:                    3  

Total Seats Removed After Adjustments:   109

Total Seats Sold Today:                               82

I don't have any good comps like Incredibles 2, so these will have to do.  Use with caution:

.4276x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom 6 days before release.           

.3773x as many tickets sold as Crimes of Grindelwald 6 days before release.

NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

T-6 days:

JW2             95 tickets sold [0 sellouts/111 showings |  9177/11263 seats left  | 18.52% sold]

Pika (JW)      66 tickets sold [0 sellouts/62 showings   | 5381/6273 seats left     | 14.22% sold]

FB2           237 tickets sold [0 sellouts/98 showings   | 10928/13377 seats left | 18.31% sold] 

Pika (FBj)     66 tickets sold [0 sellouts/62 showings   |  6006/6930 seats left    | 13.33% sold]

Pika (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom

Pika (FB) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Crimes of Grindelwald

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Aladdin Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-20 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

9232*

9773*

5.54%

NOTE:::  One of theaters in the region is a mixed reserved/non-reserved seating theater.  I either missed that one of the showings was at the reserved seating screen or they shifted that showing to the reserved seating screen.  Either way, 370 extra seats are now trackable and have been added to the block.  No seats have been sold for this showing as of yet, so no comps have been affected at any point.

Total Seats Sold Today:                      51

The best comp I have so far is Detective Pikachu (which is still in pre-sales).  I also have less ideal comps with JW2 and FB2.  Use the later comps with caution.

Unadjusted Comps

1.9117x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu after five days of pre-sales.

PRE-SALES NOTE:  [Pika Pika had 29 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24]

Day 5 of pre-sales:

Pika:    19  tickets sold  [0 sellouts/72 showings   |  7726/8009 seats left   |  3.53% sold]

Adjusted Comps

.4948x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom after five days of pre-sales.

.5072x as many tickets sold as Crimes of Grindelwald five days of pre-sales.

PRE-SALES NOTE: JW2 had 22 days of pre-sales and FB2 had 30 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24.

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

Day 5 of pre-sales:

JW2                 97 tickets sold [0 sellouts/97 showings |   9058/10113 seats left | 10.43% sold]

Aladdin (JW)    49 tickets sold [0 sellouts/68 showings |   7277/7799 seats left   |   6.69% sold]

FB2                 60 tickets sold [0 sellouts/94 showings | 12340/13377 seats left  |  7.75% sold] 

Aladdin (FB)    49 tickets sold [0 sellouts/68 showings |   8341/8867 seats left    |  5.93% sold]  

Aladdin (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom

**Aladdin (FB) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Crimes of Grindelwald

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3