grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Just from looking pluse 

seems like The hustle is the only other movie releasing that might do okay this weekend 

might do 12 million 

poms and Tolkien have nothing going for it 

I honestly don't understand how to calculate or measure Pulse so keep up the good work. Can you update us on DP increases throughout the day. I imagine by tonight it'll start increasing a lot more.

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

I honestly don't understand how to calculate or measure Pulse so keep up the good work. Can you update us on DP increases throughout the day. I imagine by tonight it'll start increasing a lot more.

Not gonna do it hourly. Too many updates. I’ll just look at tonight 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

@Porthos I am really sorry to break it to you but,

say good bye to your sleep till July 2nd.

No worries.  No midnights, no tracking from Yours Truly. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No worries.  No midnights, no tracking from Yours Truly. 👍

Anyway, I was already coming  to say this here, and I haven't caught up with the rest of the thread yet (I'll read it in a bit). but there's no sneaks/midnights/anything early in Sacto near as I can tell. Not yet at least.  Just showtimes starting at 9am on the 2nd.

Really no reason for me to track a full opening day and try to compare it to a preview night, even if it is on a semi-holiday Tuesday.

• Like 3

There are literally only 2 remotely comparable summer Tuesday opening blockbusters — TASM and Transformers 1. Unfortunately they both have a different July 4 placement by one day. To make things worse, Transformers had 8PM sneaks (which made about 8.8M). TASM, so far as I can tell, had true midnight previews like FFH that made 7.5M.    

TASM:

Previews:OD multi — 35.85/7.5=4.8x

OD:6-day multi — 137/35.85=3.82x

OD:total multi — 262/35.85=7.3x

6-day:total multi— 262/137=1.91x

3-day OW:total multi — 262/62=4.23x

2nd wknd drop —  -44%

3rd wknd drop — -68.6% (savaged by TDKR)

Transformers: 

Previews:OD multi — 36.65/8.8=4.16x

OD:6-day multi — 155.4/36.65=4.24

OD:total multi — 319/36.65=8.7x

6-day:total multi— 319/155.4=2.05x

3-day OW:total multi — 319/70.5=4.525x

2nd wknd drop —  -47.5%

3rd wknd drop — -44.6%   

TASM actually had TDKR come out exactly as many days into the run as FFH has TLK, which makes the comp even better, but I’m assuming that FFH will play more frontloaded in this post-Endgame world even if reception is good.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Anyway, I was already coming  to say this here, and I haven't caught up with the rest of the thread yet (I'll read it in a bit). but there's no sneaks/midnights/anything early in Sacto near as I can tell. Not yet at least.  Just showtimes starting at 9am on the 2nd.

Really no reason for me to track a full opening day and try to compare it to a preview night, even if it is on a semi-holiday Tuesday.

Yea I'm not tracking it for this very reason. May just use Fandango pulse (if it stays working) to give me ideas closer to release, but with no comps and a whole day worths of counting…..no thanks!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That's completely understandable. 

However, would you consider doing a once-a-week just Opening day report? I really enjoy your reports so it would be interesting even if not that comparable. Heck even doing 1 this week and 1 week of release would be very much appreciated.

Or perhaps doing just that one theater you sometimes track, Century Arden I think?

4 minutes ago, Stewart said:

That's completely understandable. 

However, would you consider doing a once-a-week just Opening day report? I really enjoy your reports so it would be interesting even if not that comparable. Heck even doing 1 this week and 1 week of release would be very much appreciated.

Or perhaps doing just that one theater you sometimes track, Century Arden I think?

I'll consider a once a week Arden report. But it would only be really showing: Hey, it's doing good/great/wow locally.  Even a comparison with the occasional EG Arden report I made really isn't that great considering all the demand burnt off the night before.

Besides, maybe they'll decide to do midnights after all. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Unrelated to FFH, one or two Regals near me have Godzilla up on sale (kind of a bad time to open up tickets but whatever). Previews also start, can you believe it, at 4PM. I guess Warner Bros. is gonna do this with all their movies now?

Nothing locally.  Suspect it's a DP2/FB2 situation where some theaters are uploading their schedules but not setting the "do not sell yet" flag for Fandango.  

I'll keep an eye out and see when they show up here in Sacratomato. Probably will wait on reports 'till they all go live officially. Will note early sales though, like I did FB2 if there are any.

13 hours ago, Mulder said:

Final count of today (Was doing something so a bit late), only Thursdays-

Aladdin-68 (+1), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Detective Pikachu-144 (+18), 6 screenings (3 3D, 3 Regular) Final Week

John Wick-77 (+2), 4 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Regular)

Pikachu had an insane increase today which it really needed, hopefully this is indicative of a wider trend. Also I might be speculating too much but...tbh I'm feeling worried for Aladdin. While it initially had good pre-sales this slow down is...somewhat troubling. There's showings with only one or two tickets sold still. But anyways in total today Aladdin sold one ticket, Detective Pikachu sold an insane 18 tickets, and John Wick sold 2 which is less then my earlier count of 6. I possibly miscounted earlier.

First count of today, only Thursdays-

Aladdin-69 (+1), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Detective Pikachu-161 (+17), 6 screenings (3 3D, 3 Regular) Final Week

John Wick-82 (+5), 4 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Regular)

Holy shit that Pikachu number. :ohmygod:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Literally has nearly sold all the tickets it sold yesterday in the space of about 6 hours.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Literally has nearly sold all the tickets it sold yesterday in the space of about 6 hours.

Now you see what I mean by "looking for a ramp up". 👍

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.pn

So is this where I tell people that the MT.com tracker over at akvalley isn't updating?

(this is an akvalley thing, BTW - it's happened very occasionally and eventually sorts itself out)

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

So is this where I tell people that the MT.com tracker over at akvalley isn't updating?

(this is an akvalley thing, BTW - it's happened very occasionally and eventually sorts itself out)

Haha yup, saw that too. For future reference, this is the page that MT shows their percentage sales: https://www.movietickets.com/box-office

Maybe we could get that added to the OP, since MT decided to bury it in a place you can't access on their home page.

• Like 2