grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

But even Peter rabbit 2 can elevate UK box office to pre-pandemic level, why not AQP2? AQP made more than peter rabbit here at state. 

Who said box office is pre-pandemic level in UK? PR2 grossed 4.65M in 7 days as compared to 8M opening of PR 1. I think what was reported by some outlets was that UK box office was better than what it was during last reopening, which is also not really true considering TENET weekend was just 5 days as compared to 7 days of PR2 and there are many other new films while TENET was sole warrior. Box office is not close to pre-pandemic.

23 hours ago, Eric De Vil said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-4 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 2 188 1278 17655 7.24%

Total Sellouts Added Today: 1

Total Seats Sold Today: 247

Comp

0.592x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-4 Before Release (5.75M)

0.845x of Mortal Kombat T-4 Before Release (7.68M)

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 2 197 1694 18091 9.36%

Total Shows Added Today: 9

Total Seats Added Today: 436

Total Seats Sold Today: 416

Comp

0.785x of Godzilla vs. Kong Saturday Before Release (7.62M)

1.120x of Mortal Kombat Monday Before Release (10.18M)

So just to clarify, the "Monday Before Release" for both comps is just the T-4 comp from yesterday. I'm just course-correcting some stuff since these movies didn't have Thursday previews, and trying to shift everything back by a day is much more cumbersome when you have to account for 4+ days before release. Either way, still seems like a pretty good day that's boding well for a good opening, but anything could happen. Better to be a touch pessimistic even when things are going in a certain optimistic favor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Who said box office is pre-pandemic level in UK? PR2 grossed 4.65M in 7 days as compared to 8M opening of PR 1. I think what was reported by some outlets was that UK box office was better than what it was during last reopening, which is also not really true considering TENET weekend was just 5 days as compared to 7 days of PR2 and there are many other new films while TENET was sole warrior. Box office is not close to pre-pandemic.

UK Box Office Recovers To Pre-Lockdown Level – Deadline

It was a hugely positive first weekend back in business for UK cinemas, with Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway leading the market to north of £7M ($10M) in total. That’s the best Fri-Sun since cinemas were first forced to close by the pandemic in March 2020.

The UK government’s initial lockdown was announced on March 16, 2020, and the last time the market topped this weekend’s takings was March 6-8 2020, when the box office notched $12M, with Pixar’s Onward as the top grosser.

• Like 1

Cruella Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-4 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 2 130 404 12205 3.31%

Total Seats Sold Today: 50

Cruella Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 2 141 505 12676 3.98%

Total Shows Added Today: 11

Total Seats Added Today: 471

Total Seats Sold Today: 101

Comp

4.008x of Raya T-3 Before Release (10.43M)

Comp (minus Cruella Sellouts)

3.000x of Raya T-3 Before Release (7.81M)

So...this is complicated. Raya underperformed hard around me (granted bc theater count was small and a few initial sellouts just...disappeared by the end of tracking), so that makes things really hard to do a fair comparison. This is doubly so, because Cruella seems like an overperformer. Even taking out the sellouts, it's still at about 378 tickets sold, which seems a lot better than what little other tracking this movie has. But of course, the other guys are just looking at Thursday by their own (I'm too tired to figure out and look at Thursday numbers are at this point), and hey, maybe Cruella is skewing more towards families than we might think. Think somebody here said the movie was doing really well on Saturday in the theaters around here.

The bottom line is that these comps seem generous towards the movie at this point, but with so little data to grasp, and what little there is seems a touch finnicky, it's a real "who knows?" kind of deal for me at this point. At the very least, it is nice to actually have a comp for once.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Eric De Vil said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 2 197 1694 18091 9.36%

Total Shows Added Today: 9

Total Seats Added Today: 436

Total Seats Sold Today: 416

Comp

0.785x of Godzilla vs. Kong Saturday Before Release (7.62M)

1.120x of Mortal Kombat Monday Before Release (10.18M)

So just to clarify, the "Monday Before Release" for both comps is just the T-4 comp from yesterday. I'm just course-correcting some stuff since these movies didn't have Thursday previews, and trying to shift everything back by a day is much more cumbersome when you have to account for 4+ days before release. Either way, still seems like a pretty good day that's boding well for a good opening, but anything could happen. Better to be a touch pessimistic even when things are going in a certain optimistic favor.

That is a very sizeable change in just one day. 

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-12 and Counting (Fri)

TOTALS 0 38 102 3837 2.66%

Total Seats Sold Today: 18

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-11 and Counting (Fri)

TOTALS 0 38 138 3837 3.60%

Total Seats Sold Today: 36

After so little activity, the last two days have been surprisingly good. Part of it is just that horror ticket sales are more backloaded, but it is kind of interesting. Maybe it's horror fans getting tickets just after buying some for Quiet Place? Maybe the publicity for AQP and Cruella is making people more excited to buy tickets here in Philly? Or maybe it's all just coincidental with no real hook. Either way, it's nice to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eric De Vil said:

So...this is complicated. Raya underperformed hard around me (granted bc theater count was small and a few initial sellouts just...disappeared by the end of tracking), so that makes things really hard to do a fair comparison. This is doubly so, because Cruella seems like an overperformer. Even taking out the sellouts, it's still at about 378 tickets sold, which seems a lot better than what little other tracking this movie has. But of course, the other guys are just looking at Thursday by their own (I'm too tired to figure out and look at Thursday numbers are at this point), and hey, maybe Cruella is skewing more towards families than we might think. Think somebody here said the movie was doing really well on Saturday in the theaters around here.

Yeah, Saturday and Sunday are looking to be very busy days for Cruella around where I am. 6:30 show at a theater close by has already sold about 40 seats for both days in one of the bigger auditoriums and it's only Monday so they'll definitely sell out.

• Like 2

One, Onward weekend was itself weak due to bad performance of Onward, you can't use that and say its pre-pandemic level.

Top 15 in Marc 6-8, 2020 were £9,229,774, weekend before was £10,030,004 while this week were £6,940,000 (with 10+ new films) Approx.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 10:27 PM, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-4 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

36.06%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Showings Added Today

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-4 Comp                PROBABLY STILL LOL - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold T-4

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

31/126

2548/5496

53.64%

4.14m

===

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinemark ($149)

Private Watch Party Showings - Regal ($199)

Adjusted Seats

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25 - rounded down], 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25 - rounded down], and 22 seats for Regal [$199/$9.25 - rounded up]

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism for Cinemark and Cinema West in this post.  However, it appears that we can track Regal PWPs to the movie purchased, as mentioned in this later post.

SECOND NOTE:  Since A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are both debuting on the same day and both have PWPs available for purchase, I am not approximating the tickets sold at Cinemark and Cinema West locations for either movie on this track.  For the record, however, 8 PWP showings were purchased before tickets for Cruella  went on sale, for an approximation of 128 tickets.

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-3 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

39.03%

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-3 Comp

%

Sold T-3

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

38/140

2616/5906

55.71%

4.41m

===

Adjusted Seats

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25 - rounded down], 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25 - rounded down], and 22 seats for Regal [$199/$9.25 - rounded up]

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism for Cinemark and Cinema West in this post.  However, it appears that we can track Regal PWPs to the movie purchased, as mentioned in this later post.

SECOND NOTE:  Since A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are both debuting on the same day and both have PWPs available for purchase, I am not approximating the tickets sold at Cinemark and Cinema West locations for either movie on this track.  For the record, however, 8 PWP showings were purchased before tickets for Cruella  went on sale, for an approximation of 128 tickets.

===

It 2 sold 324 tickets at T-3 while AQP II on an adjusted basis sold 228.  It 2 had sold 2334/20105 tickets while AQP 2 (adj) is at 1475/3546. 

[1475/2334] x 10.5 = 6.64m. 

Take 10% off for lack of Canada, and on a pure It 2 comp we're at 5.97m.  Capacity is obvs an issue, but for now I'll stick with lopping off 10% of the Sacto total for my ad hoc guesstimate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-3 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

39.03%

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-3 Comp

%

Sold T-3

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

38/140

2616/5906

55.71%

4.41m

===

Adjusted Seats

===

It 2 sold 324 tickets at T-3 while AQP II on an adjusted basis sold 228.  It 2 had sold 2334/20105 tickets while AQP 2 (adj) is at 1475/3546. 

[1475/2334] x 10.5 = 6.64m. 

Take 10% off for lack of Canada, and on a pure It 2 comp we're at 5.97m.  Capacity is obvs an issue, but for now I'll stick with lopping off 10% of the Sacto total for my ad hoc guesstimate.

Have local regulation allow you to operate at 25%? I heard covid-cases have been doing great across CA

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Have local regulation allow you to operate at 25%? I heard covid-cases have been doing great across CA

California's a big state. :)  

Aside from that little quip, not much has changed since you last asked.  Cases are going down locally, yes.  But a county needs to qualify for a new tier for two weeks before moving down (or up, depending on perspective) and Sacto hasn't even qualified for one week. 

Placer County, which I partially track, will almost certainly shift soon. If Placer County gets the clear tomorrow/later today, as I think is likely, then sure, the actual OW will likely get a boost for those theaters. Whether theaters would be allowed to shift in time for Thursday previews, I'm less certain about.  

Sacramento will probably be able to move to the next tier right about the time tiers get junked (June 15th), so our local situation doesn't matter in the end.  Unless local officials decide COVID is still too prevalent locally and keep some sort of restrictions in place. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

California's a big state. :)  

Aside from that little quip, not much has changed since you last asked.  Cases are going down locally, yes.  But a county needs to qualify for a new tier for two weeks before moving down (or up, depending on perspective) and Sacto hasn't even qualified for one week. 

Placer County, which I partially track, will almost certainly shift soon. If Placer County gets the clear tomorrow/later today, as I think is likely, then sure, the actual OW will likely get a boost for those theaters. Whether theaters would be allowed to shift in time for Thursday previews, I'm less certain about.  

Sacramento will probably be able to move to the next tier right about the time tiers get junked (June 15th), so our local situation doesn't matter in the end.  Unless local officials decide COVID is still too prevalent locally and keep some sort of restrictions in place. 

The tracking thus far, including yours, even if we filter out some overindex element locally, suggest that 4m-4.5m is the range for Thursday preview. If AQP2 managed to generate 11x (POTC5's IM), this would put 3 days weekend number rivaling the 1st AQP's opening. Is that worth a club? 

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

One, Onward weekend was itself weak due to bad performance of Onward, you can't use that and say its pre-pandemic level.

Top 15 in Marc 6-8, 2020 were £9,229,774, weekend before was £10,030,004 while this week were £6,940,000 (with 10+ new films) Approx.

Considering the market was propped up by films also released on demand such as GvK, Nomadland and Mortal Kombat, all of which were being priced lower than new release films, it's a good start. 

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Considering the market was propped up by films also released on demand such as GvK, Nomadland and Mortal Kombat, all of which were being priced lower than new release films, it's a good start. 

Yeah its pretty great start all things considered but not the pre-pandemic level. right?

29 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah its pretty great start all things considered but not the pre-pandemic level. right?

Depends on the weekend. For a weekend where nothing big has come out for 3 weeks it's definitely matching pre-pandemic levels ;)

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 10:22 AM, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

So here it goes. Unfortunately:

A. My area doesn't seem too presale heavy at all; and,

B. I have a Cinemark in this 3 theater set so can't tell what the Private Watch Parties are but here goes nothing:

A Quiet Place Part II Southern Tier Premiere Night Seat Report: T-3 days and COUNTING

Theater Movie Showtimes Seats Sold Seats Available %
Total Overall AQP2 18 48 1748 2.75%

My local theater has an insane amount of showtimes for this (9 in an 8 screen theater) and not many tickets sold.

As an aside: how are you guys handing total seats available? I am just doing full rows that are available knowing that the true capacity will be severely reduced once someone buys seats there. Wanted to see if there were any best practices.

A Quiet Place Part II Southern Tier Premiere Night Seat Report: T-2 days and COUNTING

Total Overall AQP2 20 91 1304 6.98%

Total Seats Sold Today: 43

Well, AQP2 just essentially doubled it's ticket sales. Really impressive and probably bodes well for walk-ups this weekend. Everyone in my area is finally letting loose with the vaccines taking effect.

Thanks everyone for your answers on the capacity. Just did the total capacity of the theater divided by the capacity limit set by the state.

Local theater finally added Cruella preview screenings. Looks like the same deal (no preview screenings yet) for Conjuring 3 next week. May just have to do these week by week which isn't great but will start to get some data in. Will post the Cruella numbers in a little bit.

• Like 4
    • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Cruella Southern Tier Premiere Night Seat Report: T-3 days and COUNTING

Total Overall Cruella 6 13 506 2.57%

My local theater does not have any showings for Thursday night. Weird as they have Friday night showings.

Cruella Southern Tier Premiere Night Seat Report: T-3 days and COUNTING

Total Overall Cruella 9 10 312 3.21%

Total Seats Sold Today: -3

Not great to say the least. I think yesterday was an error on my part though, due to not understanding where the DBOX seats were in the Cinemark theater I track. Still best case scenario it sold 0 seats over the past day.

• Like 4
    • Thanks 1