grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

In another example of my theater not knowing what the fuck it is doing. John Wick 3 is going to stick to 2 showtimes for tonight and will get 9 showtimes for FSS. I'm assuming for tonight, they wanted the 10PM showtime to fill up and since it wasn't, they didn't add any additional ones. But the 9 showtimes for FSS, I am kinda shocked about to be honest. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	35.761%	24917	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
2	21.455%	14949	Avengers Endgame (2019)
3	14.945%	10413	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
4	02.942%	2050	The Hustle (2019)
5	02.595%	1808	Aladdin (2019)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would imagine SLOP 2 would be huge at my theatre. Kids movies do extremely well here, especially those aimed at YOUNG kids like Illumination's movies. 

Part of my reasoning for thinking SLOP2 will drop so heavily from the first one was that the first was the result of one of the best marketing campaigns in recent memory (in targeting the right demographic). Adds were hilarious, and they were everywhere. For MONTHS. This one, it feels just like a mid-tier animated flick from the way it's being marketed, not the event that Illumination turned the first one into. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

Absolutely not. I took my cousin’s daughter (She was 4 at the time) and she asked to go to the bathroom, asked when the movie would be over, when we could go home, if we could go get snacks....several times. But this is anecdotal of course soooo 

I mean... what a strange thing to say.

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

In another example of my theater not knowing what the fuck it is doing. John Wick 3 is going to stick to 2 showtimes for tonight and will get 9 showtimes for FSS. I'm assuming for tonight, they wanted the 10PM showtime to fill up and since it wasn't, they didn't add any additional ones. But the 9 showtimes for FSS, I am kinda shocked about to be honest. 

Please forgive my ignorance, what is "FSS"?

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Absolutely not. I took my cousin’s daughter (She was 4 at the time) and she asked to go to the bathroom, asked when the movie would be over, when we could go home, if we could go get snacks....several times. But this is anecdotal of course soooo 

This is my experience as well. I have three kids right in the target demo range. The only one that liked the Minions movie is the one that basically predetermines what she will or won't like and doesn't have discerning taste. There are a number of terrible films and shows where she's the only one in the house that claims to enjoy and will watch them.

My boys, on the other hand, will watch DM and DM2 over and over. They'll tolerate DM3 once in a while, and do not like Minions at all. They like the little yellow guys, just not their movie.

I'd expect M2 to crater.

• Like 2

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum Thursday Night Showings @ Davenport 53rd 18 + IMAX

2D

7:00 - 81/135

7:30 - 48/238

10:10 - 22/135

10:45 - 5/238

IMAX 2D

8:00 - 21/387

11:05 - 2/387

179/1,520 (11.78% of all seats sold) (up 71 tickets from the last time I checked yesterday at this time)

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

its doing great in NYC and SF as well. It should do at least $5million and may be as high as $8M previews.

Found the Deadline correspondent. :ph34r:

Spoiler

Yes, I realize that likely was the joke.  Consider me going along with it. ;)

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Scattered more showings were added today.  Overall seat count for Wick 3 (10,462) now exceeds Pika PIka (10,268), thanks to the PLF.

Mid Day look:

Wick 3      2494 tickets sold mid-day of premiere (+419)

Pika:         2649 tickets sold mid-day of premiere (+392)

Final Pika Comp Check:

Wick 3         2931 tickets sold at time stop of tracking for Pika (+437)

Pika             3096 tickets sold at stop of tracking                     (+447)

Thinking I will go ahead and do one last check around 5:30 PTish and rope in some comps for 6pm/7pm films.  But right now, 5.5m looks pretty likely, plus or minus (comping at 5.396 raw, boost a little for PLF, matinee, and 3D tradeoffs).

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Found the Deadline correspondent. :ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

Nope. Their range wasn’t large enough. Gotta cover all the bases: “$3M but we are hearing from a source that $8M is possible.” 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DAJK said:

John Wick is pretty much sold out the 7:00 show at the main theatre I'm tracking. I'll do full comps around 7:15 PST

Currently (well 15-45 min ago), out of the 75 reserved seating showings there are 4 showings locally with 80%+ sold and 6 more with 70% sold.

Using a different metric, looks like 6 showings were at front two rows or less, and IIRC two to three of them were at one row or less.  One showing was just outside my personal cutoff of sellouts at seven seats left.

10pm showings at some of the busier places in town are picking up as well, though still lagging well behind the earlier showings naturally.  

Edited by Porthos

Just now, Porthos said:

Currently (well 15-45 min ago), there are 4 showings locally with 80%+ sold and 6 more with 7% sold.

Using a different metric, looks like 6 showings were at front two rows or less, and IIRC two to three of them were at one row or less.  One showing was just outside my personal cutoff of sellouts at seven seats left.

10pm showings at some of the busier places in town are picking up as well, though still lagging well behind the earlier showings naturally.  

That seems extreme. 80% to 7% !!!! must be really shitty theaters.

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

That seems extreme. 80% to 7% !!!! must be really shitty theaters.

Thanks for the catch.  It was supposed to be 70%. Fixed now. I was giving a look at the high end showings in the region. :)

(for the record, nothing was at 90% or above)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2